Problem with "Cache" Mode - Please Help ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Problem with "Cache" Mode - Please Help !

Hello,

I am going to film the glaciers next month and want to capture some big chucks breaking off. Problem is i don't want to film for hours and hours of tape to catch this but this is what the "Cache" mode is for. Once the glacier starts to break off i hit record on the main record button and the tape starts and the "Cache" mode will save the last 14 seconds (The most important part with the glacier breaking) plus more until i hit stop.

Here's the problem. When i go back and watch the video off my CF card. It records the last 14 seconds with no problem, BUT there seems to be this one second drop out that always happens when the record button is hit. It's not a drop out but more of a freeze. So it plays 14 seconds ok, then 1 second of freeze, then continues to playback the video until i hit stop. It seems to be an issue when the record button is hit and the tape starts rolling it takes resources away from the CF card back unit, or something, not sure. I could simply hit record on the back piece and not even record to tape and this one second freeze does not happen. But, I don't want to have camera shake from me hitting the two buttons on the back you have to hit simultaneously to record. The main button on top is able to be hit with no shake while on tripod.

So, what could this be ? One friends said a firmware issue. I'm wondering if it could be the CF card. I am using a Sandisk Extreme III 30mbs (I Think 133x) card 8gb.

I should also point out that this one second glitch/freeze issue only happen when on HDV mode, when on DVcam mode it records perfect to CF card in cache mode...

I am in an area where I cannot find and faster cards but can get one shipped here if that’s the problem. I was looking at the new Sandisk Extreme Pro 600x or just might go with the Sandisk 300x but really don't want to spend the money if the issue is NOT the CF card.

Has anyone had this happen to them ? Maybe you can test it yourself on your camera and see if you get the same problem? I hope this makes sense. Help is greatly appreciate as i am leaving in 3 weeks for the trip and this problem is really annoying.

Thanks in Advance !

Mike Theiss
Ultimate Chase Stock Footage and Storm News Video Services - Hurricane Video Stock
Extreme Nature Photography and Commercial Images by Mike Theiss - Prints, Stock and Photo Assignments
Mike Theiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #2
New Boot

Just curious ? was my post confusing ? If i need to clarify i can.... I spoke to a friend in Australia and he says his camera does the same exact error. But, he is using the same CF card as me so not sure if that is it ?
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #3
New Boot

Any Suggestions, Anyone ??? Please !
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I am surprised at the lack of response. I would have thought more people would have used the cache mode and could answer your question. I have never used the cache mode myself but now I am tempted to try it just to see if I can induce your glitch.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5
New Boot

Greg,

Yes, i am really stumped on this and don't know what to do. I have read every forum on the web and just can't find an answer as to why its doing this. Thanks for any help you can give me....
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Since nobody has responded, I just tried it out for you. I have a Z5 so hopefully it would be the same. Anyway, it worked perfectly and I had no problem with the playback at all. I don’t know if it’s the card or the camera but I use Lexar Pro 16GB 300x. It may have something to do with the speed of the card. I have a question now. What would be the disadvantage of leaving that feature on all the time? I could see that really coming in handy.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi,

I use the exact same cards but with the unit attached to an xlh1. I have looked back at my footage and all appears ok, no droped frames in cache mode.

Sorry not to have been of more help

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Does the problem occur if you are only recording to the card? The only time I've used cache mode on my Z7 was when I was not recording simultaneously to tape, in that instance it worked flawlessly recording HDV to a Transcend 32Gb x133 card.
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #9
New Boot

Mike
I tested my S270 and I do not get any glitches on the CF or tape recording. I am using a Kingston 133x 32MB card. I tried both CF recording only, then with CF and tape recording simultaneously and neither had a playback problem. Doesn't look like it's a CF card speed problem.
Mark Triolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #10
New Boot

Mike
Correction to my last post. My original test was in DVCAM mode. When I tried it in HDV mode my camera performs the same as yours. It might be a CF card speed issue but feels more to me like a problem with the iLink feed in the camera.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks Everyone for testing this out.

Mark, Same here. In DVcam mode its perfect, it's only with the HDV that this problems. Occurs. One thing for sure is its not only my cam. Now yours and a friend in Australia too. I am hoping to get my hands on a 300x or more just to start narrowing it down. I will post when i find out. I should be in an area soon with lots of access to cards.

Also, i contacted Sony and spoke to a really nice person and he is supposidly testing this out for me. I will post and follow up i get....

Thanks Again Everyone...

Mike Theiss
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #12
New Boot

Mike
I've read up on this and it looks like this is the way the camera works. It has to do with the encoder needing to start a new GOP when the tape begins to roll. so, there is a pause in the feed to the CF card. It's not a defect, just a limitation of the camera/CF card design.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #13
New Boot

Thanks Mark.

Yes, today i heard back from the Sony people and they said all cameras do this. It does not matter what CF card you are using. So i guess this is an issue i have to deal with. Thanks for responding....
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I tried it out, it functions very well without any error, only if the REC CTL MODE is on EXT ONLY!!!
If I use the Synchronous mode the tape has to start up and then I had the same problem.
Normaly I always use the synchronous mode for the backup tape, but in the case of the glacier it will be better not to use it.
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #15
Major Player

I shot it in DV & HDV in synchronous mode and did not notice a freeze at all. If I have time I'll try it again.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270