Taking still images with a sony z7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Taking still images with a sony z7

Hello guys. I know this may be a stupid question but I am about to embark on a music video shoot. The whole video is based around a photography technique where I blend still images together to create movement.

I am using a Sony Z7 and as far as I can tell there is no way to capture a still image with the camera. Does anyone know of any way to do this?

Many thanks,

Gregg
Gregg Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Page 26 of the Z7E/P manual. You assign PHOTO to one of your ASSIGN buttons and use a Mem Stick.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes it works and I have used it many times.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Taking still images with a Sony Z7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Houston View Post
Hello guys. I know this may be a stupid question but I am about to embark on a music video shoot. The whole video is based around a photography technique where I blend still images together to create movement.

I am using a Sony Z7 and as far as I can tell there is no way to capture a still image with the camera. Does anyone know of any way to do this?

Many thanks,

Gregg
Greg, yes you can take still images (1440x1080) with the Z7, but wouldn't it be a better idea for your purpose, to shoot video and fish the wanted stills out with the little remote controller at the time of playback in slomo on your TV. They will go on the memory stick in the camera and can easily be downloaded with a card reader. The quality is the same, but changing the menu settings of the Z7 for every stills shot done in camera is time consuming.
Cheers, Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Major Player

There are also shutter restrictions & you have to be in interlaced mode. Two things that I don't understand why the camera can't take a still in any setting, but then again it is a video camera & not a still camera, so I just pretty much forget that it can take stills.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Not sure you'll be able to achieve your desired goal with the Photo function on the Z7..

Sometimes we use the MemoryStick to grab stills/frame grabs from the tape in the camera in VCR mode so the director can have a running storyboard on promo shoots etc.. but other than that, in the 2+ yrs working with Z7U's everyday we rarely use them for stills.

Cheers,
BJ
B.J. Hjelholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM   #7
New Boot

As mentioned, you can assign a button to PHOTO.
But if you are short of buttons, use the Remote Control Photo button to take a photo. Of course, you have to remember to have the remote handy but it works just fine.
Using the remote also makes it easier to take photos while you are recording video since you don't have to touch the camera.
While I don't take photos often, sometimes it is just nice to have a still of a particular scene.
William J. Wirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM   #8
New Boot

Taking Still Images with a Sony Z7

I like the idea of using the remote. One reason I gave up using the Photo function in the middle of a shoot was that when I went back to video mode, the time code was reset. What was I missing?
Jayasri Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #9
New Boot

I tried some of the variables: photos while recording, photos with recording stopped; using an Assign button while recording and recording stopped; using the Remote while recording and stopped. All seemed to work OK for me.
William J. Wirth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270