Is there peaking on the Z7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Is there peaking on the Z7?

I'm an EX-1 user who now has access to a Z7. Is there peaking for helping with focus?

I can't seem to find a button assigned to this function and the owner says there is none. No operating guide either. Yet in my forum search I've found reference to it. Where is it and does it work like on the EX-1 in that it highlights the edges when in focus?

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have a Z5 and the peaking option on the Button Assign is just after marker. The Z5 and Z7 are so similar I would have thought that the menus are the same. Hope this helps.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

DISPLAY SET > PEAKING.

You can also assign it to one of your buttons.

Page 78 of the attached file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HVR-Z7U.pdf (4.18 MB, 742 views)
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi, Bob . . .

I am both a Z7U and EX1 owner. As others have already shown you, the Z7U also has the peaking function.

Since you already have an EX1, you may find the peaking as offered in the Z7U kind of a disappointment. The Z7U only offers white as the peaking color -- the options aren't as customizable -- and it's harder, I think, to use peaking as easily with the Z7U.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks everyone; in particular, Adam for the pdf.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Peaking Question

I remember trying a few cameras at BH in December and my memory is a bit hazy, but is the peaking feature the one where the camera draws out all focus edges in red and the one you're focused on in yellow? Or am I thinking of a panasonic camera?
Ed Mohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #7
Major Player

You must be thinking of another camera as the peaking on the Z7 sharpens edges when you are in focus, but not in a specific color. The V1 has the option of choosing white, yellow or red for the peaking.
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Major Player

"The V1 has the option of choosing white, yellow or red for the peaking."

So does the Z5
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Would have been nice on the 7. As Ian noted earlier it's sometimes difficult to see the peaking.
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #10
New Boot

Z7 Peaking

I've found the peaking setting is most useful when set to HIGH, as the LOW/MED settings are hard to pickup.

I'd definitely recommend setting one of the assign buttons to this feature (I use Zebra's on Assign 1 and Peaking on assign 2, as most of my shooting is on the fly in constantly changing light conditions and being able to check your clean frame by quickly and briefly shutting off the Zebras and Peaking helps a lot on the Z7)

Cheers,
B.J.
B.J. Hjelholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Vortex Media

I agrree with B.J. The peaking needs to be set to HIGH and that's exactly what I recommend in my Z7U / Z5U training DVD. Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM   #12
New Boot

Is there peaking on the Z7?

I have Doug Jensen's DVD and have gone back to it several times. Another good one is Douglas Spotted Eagle's Inside the Sony HVR Z7. Each has his own well-explained reasons for Assign Button function and Picture Profile selections. Helped me configure mine--and change them depending on the project.
Jayasri Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270