First Edit - Tenerife at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

First Edit - Tenerife

Here's a basic 'first edit' of part of my latest contract. This one was shot completely on the EA 50, I used the stock lens, the Sony 50mm f1.8 and a Samyang Fish Eye. It was a pleasure to use and nice n simple giving me time to direct actors and sort stuff out. The sunrise at the beginning is stock footage and so is one of the golf shots.

Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: First Edit - Tenerife

Dave,

That is the best example of what the EA50 can do that I have seen, showing that it is very capable of handling very bright highlights and dimly lit indoor situations. It just might stop me selling mine. I have been really struggling with what is the best picture profile setting to use as have (according to this forum)many others. What profile setting did you use here? Also, I assume you had an ND filter attached for the bright outdoor shots - which one do you use? Finally what frame rate did you shoot at?

Congratulations on this footage - if you can get footage that good from a camera of this price, you must be doing something right!
James Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice images Dave!

I certainly hope that the final edit will have a voiceover and it dies without that for advertising material

Love to see the final edit with audio narration to see what impact it has. You got the profiles really nicely saturated ..yes, what did you use or did you adjust in post for that??

Good job so far

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Me like :)

Great shots in there and nice color, reminds me I need a vacation. I do have to say I saw a few shots that looked soft, they didn't appear to be out of focus, just soft, was that a result of a nd filter you used or the lens?
You also might license the song first as you now hear the audiojungle copy protection jingle throughout the song :)

How do you like the fisheye? That was one lens I was planning to get, it does distort quite a bit in that room shot but it was perfect for that outdoorshot.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys

Okay James I just got the camera days before we left - so I strayed from any profiles. Therefore I did a bit of post here in FCP and MB Looks. (mostly pulling down the blacks and saturating) The ND is not that spectacular but I like it - its the ZEUS Variable - about 50 euros. I shot at 50p. Chris it's the tune that kills it but this is just a proofing edit, I've made it to spec and it's been really tricky without narration. I had to make 6 of them. I'll be changing the music and adding sound for the dancers, the clapping etc. And Noa - yes I know about the music license but I'll be changing the toon ;). I love that little Samyang Fisheye lens and a great price for f 2.8. It handled the final night club shot well but there is some serious noise in the bamboo thatch roofs, still who's looking at them? Ahh - soft shots seem to be the 50mm in low light? is that what you mean? Also - no one could compliment it more than saying 'reminds me I need a holiday' - hahaha. I'll tell the company that one.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Major Player

That was fantastic. Makes me wish I had more creative projects other than my boring weekly broadcast. ..
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vickers View Post
Ahh - soft shots seem to be the 50mm in low light?
It must be the 50mm as those shots have a narrower shallow dof, like the ones between 00:12 and 00:14, 00:18 and 00:22.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Noa Put;1795444]
It must be the 50mm as those shots have a narrower shallow dof, like the ones between 00:12 and 00:14, 00:18 and 00:22.

Yeah... Interesting - I had to grab a cheapie ND for the 50mm as it was the only one around here that nearly fitted (malaga). Just shows you innit!
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I somehow knew a cheap nd filter would be involved :) I have had the same issue with my 550d and a 50mm nikon nikkor paired with a cheap nd filter, every time I used that combination I got very soft images. You are much better of getting a genustech kind of filter, they are more expensive but won't soften up your image.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)