NEX-EA50 equal to Canon 5D??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 9th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Major Player

NEX-EA50 equal to Canon 5D???

I need a camcorder that is equal in picture quality and DOF capabilities as the Canon 5D MKII for video, Is the NEX-EA50 with a 18-200mm lens the right camera to fill that order? I love my 5D but for fast moving action shots I need the live automated focus of a camcorder.

Thanks much
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: NEX-EA50 equal to Canon 5D???

It will do the job you're looking for - yes.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
I need a camcorder that is equal in picture quality and DOF capabilities as the Canon 5D MKII for video, Is the NEX-EA50 with a 18-200mm lens the right camera to fill that order? I love my 5D but for fast moving action shots I need the live automated focus of a camcorder.

Thanks much
Not sure exactly what you mean by DOF capabilities, but if you mean you want to blur backgrounds you need to keep in mind its a slightly smaller sensor and the kit lens is a fairly slow so you would end up with a bit more DOF (Smaller sensor means you will be using wider lenses or backing up both will give more/deeper DOF)

Having said that I much prefer this imager size over my (now sold) D800... still plenty easy to blur the background to make subject pop, and I feel its leaps and bounds easier to use than a DSLR for video
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #4
New Boot

The EA50 is an APS-C sensor size, which is 23.5mm. The canon 5D is a full frame 35mm sensor. Larger sensor allows for narrower depth of field. HOWEVER, one thing that might brighten your day is that APS-C sensor size is almost exactly the same as standard Super 35 movie film (about 24.5mm), so if you're going for a traditional cinematic feel, APS-C will get you there.

But there are other things that contribute to DoF. First, the aperture size has a large impact on narrowing DoF. The larger the aperture, the narrower the DoF. Even with a Canon 5D, if you've stopped it way up to a narrow aperture (for outside shooting), you're not going to get any DoF separation. The stock lens with the EA50 doesn't go very big, it's biggest f-stop is f/3.5, and only when all the way zoomed out. If you're really going to be gunning for super narrow DoF, you'll want to spring for a prime lens with a wider aperture. There are a couple 1.4 and 1.8 E-mount lenses out there. Sigma makes a few 2.8 lenses, which aren't substantially larger than the kit lens, but they're much faster (another bonus), and optically very good (and quite cheap!)

Finally, there's the old "stand back and zoom in" trick. To increase the perceptual DoF narrowness, stand back from the subject and zoom in, and the out-of-focus background will become much larger, and thus the blurriness will as well. This does change the geometry of your shot, make it difficult for off-tripod shooting and movement, and cause the zoom lens to stop down a bit (aperture has to close down to make room for the zoom), however, in many circumstances, one can set up a narrow DoF shot, if the situation allows. On the old standard 1/4" and 1/3" sensor-size video cameras, even this procedure didn't give you much DoF narrowness, but with an APS-C sensor size, even with the stock lens, it'll work great... so at least you CAN!
Eric Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the NEX VG20 professionally and it has the same sensor as EA50. I recommend purchasing 'body only' if you can, or selling the kit zoom (mine brought $750 on ebay) and using instead, a selection of prime FF lenses or fast zooms. I have several Carl Zeiss primes which I use with the Metabones 'Speedbooster' adapter. This optical device restores the original Full Frame field of view as well as increasing exposure by an additional stop.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks so much Craig! Would it be your opinion that the EA50 is a good enoungh quality image for shooting national Broadcast Commercials?
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all the info guys! Here's the question, does the EA50 have a good enough quality image to shoot national broadcast commercials even though it does not have a full frame sensor like the 5D????

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Major Player

"National Broadcast Commercials" is a pretty vague term. I've shot video that has shown up in Ford's national commercials (Octane Academy on ESPN) using the Sony NX5U, a small 3-chip at 720p/60. In the right conditions pretty much any camera would be able to pull off a National spot, imho. Case in point: GoPro uses GoPro footage for their spots, though nobody would ever recommend GoPro for such uses, in their case it works very well.

So, yes, if you know how to use it, the EA50 will be fine for national spots. However, it's possible your client may or may not agree. I would suggest also looking at the FS100 with an LEA2 adaptor if you're interested in cinema-style broadcast work and want to maintain auto-focus. Currently both the FS100 and FS700 are used very frequently for such stuff (well, nobody I knows uses auto focus with them, though it's certainly an option with the LEA2 and some A-Mount lenses.)

Oh, and today I would NEVER use a 5D Mk II for broadcast work. It has too many issues with its picture. The Mk III on the other hand would be just fine.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Craig, will the speedbooster adapter work with any EF lense or does it have to be one made for a full frame sensor? I am thinking about getting one to go with a Tokina 11-16 AT-X Pro.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi,

only full frame lenses are meant to work with the speed booster.
And also max. with f1,2 aperture, not more.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Erik, thanks for the reply. Is there an easy way to tell if a lense is meant for full frame sensors?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
I love my 5D but for fast moving action shots I need the live automated focus of a camcorder.

Thanks much
Large sensor camera"s combined with autofocus lenzes only perform well enough if you have a deep dof and then still, even with a slight bit of shallower dof your camera doesn't know where to focus on which can result in unwanted focus shifts and eventhough there are some useful aids like touch focus, manual focus is the best way to go if you want to have a shallow dof and correct focus. Don't expect miracles from the stocklens if you plan to run in it automode.

Quote:
does the EA50 have a good enough quality image to shoot national broadcast commercials even though it does not have a full frame sensor like the 5D????
a full frame sensor alone doesn't mean a camera will give you a superior image, if you want "good image quality" you are better off with a ex1 type of camera, resolutionwise it will put a 5d to shame.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Large sensor camera"s combined with autofocus lenzes only perform well enough if you have a deep dof and then still, even with a slight bit of shallower dof your camera doesn't know where to focus on which can result in unwanted focus shifts and eventhough there are some useful aids like touch focus, manual focus is the best way to go if you want to have a shallow dof and correct focus. Don't expect miracles from the stocklens if you plan to run in it automode.

a full frame sensor alone doesn't mean a camera will give you a superior image, if you want "good image quality" you are better off with a ex1 type of camera, resolutionwise it will put a 5d to shame.
Thanks Noa, The DOF would not be required for the fast action type shots, it would be needed for my Commercial type shots. The auto focus would be needed for the Mixed Martial Arts training footage that I shoot frequently, pro UFC fighters. Manual focus is next to impossible with the fast moving fighters changing distance and directions very quickly. Would love the EX1 but it is about $2500 out of my price range (Wont buy used;) Hope that clears up what Im looking for. Thanks
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Trustee

Danny,

You have to recognize the EA-50 for what it is. I consider it a $3,500.00 general utility camera. It is feature rich and does many things very well. That also means it is not exceptional at some things. As prices fall and technology improves the crying and screaming about what any camera will not do grows louder on every internet forum. Some pro-summer video guys want perfection and the whole world in their hands for any camera over a thousand bucks. It isn't guna happen! I bring that up because for $3,500.00 I consider the EA50 to be an incredible camera with great value for the cost.

The kit lens, power zoom, and AF are slow. And I am not talking about aperture. If you are looking for a high speed sports action camera to run in AF this is not it. It sounds like you’re looking for a video camera that you could point at a MMA fighter and let the AF run to solve all the issues of sports focusing. If you find that camera please let me know what it is. Not to mention that in MMA your going to have a chain link fence in front of you to mess with the best AF systems in the world. The dedicated cable shooters have a stool to shoot over the fence and they are still in MF. I believe it is safe for me to say almost none of the credentialed shooters at the floor level of the octagon are using AF.

The EA-50 is great video camera for its class. I suppose you could say it is like a 5 D with everything done to it that should be done to it to make a still camera like that into a video camera ;) ;) :)

Steve
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Danny

I agree with Steven too!! There is no way an EA-50 is going to keep up with fighters in a ring especially thru the mesh that stops them bursting out into the audience. Compared with my Panasonic HMC82's the AF is a LOT slower but still fine for weddings but I woulded use the AF for action stuff...Then again a 5D is totally manual!! You probably need a faster AF on a wide angle to catch the general action ...if you can get close enough and wide enough then the DOF becomes so large you actually don't need to focus ..Something like a 16mm lens at F2.8 and your DOF is 5' to infinity so as long as the fighters are further than 5' away they will be in focus (that's why you don't focus a GoPro!)

Use a second cam like the EA-50 in manual focus to get your tight shots ...you aren't going to use all of them so if you keep a second cam running all the time during a round you basically use the wide cam as a base and then add the tights shots and cut out the blurry bits when you lost focus.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)