Tamron 17-50 F2.8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Tamron 17-50 F2.8

I hope someone can advise! I am looking to buy a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 constant Nikon mount, do I need an adaptor for the Sony NEX 50

Iain J
Iain P. Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tamron 17-50 F2.8

Hi Iain

Too easy!! Just stay well clear from the el-cheapo Chinese adapters and you will be fine!! Also make sure the adapter you select does have an aperture ring on it so you can adjust the iris when required.

I personally have Novoflex adapters from Germany...they are pricey but brilliant ... I would rather pay a tiny bit extra for an adapter than buy one that ends up damaging my camera! I use my Tammy 17-50 on my Nikon D90's as well....great value for money lens and sharp too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi John,

Found one at £138 plus £6 delivery from Germany on EBay

Cheers
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Iain

Was that for the lens or the adapter??

Chris
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quite possibly for the lens I'll say.

Us in Australia can get this one: Tamron SP AF 17 50mm F 2 8 XR DI II VC LD Asph IF FOR Nikon | eBay

AUD$200 used or AUD$300 brand new from overseas.

I've never used this lens so have no opinions at all regarding it.
David Wibowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Chris,

It's for the adaptor, the lens is £299 from Calumet!

Here's the Ebay link:

Novoflex Adapter Nikon Lenses to Sony NEX Cameras - NEX-NIK | eBay
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Nice Iain

They do seem expensive compared to the couple of quid you pay for the Chinese ones but these adapters fit the camera like original equipment both on the lens side and camera side. I have two! (one for each of my EA-50's) Despite the low lens price I have found them to be nice and sharp and work pretty well and I do prefer zooms to primes as it makes framing so much easier especially if you stuck in one spot.

Chris
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Major Player

I think I will go for this lens. I have found a cheap second hand one like new near my house.
Only the adapter confuses me.

Cheaper ones like this will work to?

UK Nikon F Mount TO Sony NEX Adapter FOR NEX 3 NEX 5 | eBay

but no control over the aperture?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

A lot of Nikon lenses have no aperture ring so it's essential to get an adapter that has an aperture lever/slider on it so you can open and close the iris.

Both my Novoflex adapters have them and on the EA-50 with the Tamron outside you can easily "bottom out" exposure wise if you leave it at F2.8 ... I have often seen my 17-50 cause the camera to hit the 10,000 shutter speed and have to close the iris down so you DO need the control.

Chris
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #10
New Boot

You only get what you pay for, I paid around £200 for my Novoflex adapter and I am very happy with it.
Old February 7th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Tom

A lot of Nikon lenses have no aperture ring so it's essential to get an adapter that has an aperture lever/slider on it so you can open and close the iris.

Both my Novoflex adapters have them and on the EA-50 with the Tamron outside you can easily "bottom out" exposure wise if you leave it at F2.8 ... I have often seen my 17-50 cause the camera to hit the 10,000 shutter speed and have to close the iris down so you DO need the control.

Chris
I think I understand this Chris. When you can't control aperture the shutter speed can co for 1/200 for example inside. With the aperture control you can hold the shutter on 1/50, wright?
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

When I do wedding receptions I obviously need lot's of light capture so my Tamron normally stays at F2.8 and whatever shutter the camera decides on. I shoot everything in 1080i and not progressive so I don't need to match shutter speeds. I will very seldom need to change sunlit shoots in the shade as at F2.8 the shutter speed is not excessive! In bright sunlight however I normally stop down to keep the shutter at decent rates. If you are shooting interlaced the shutter doesn't HAVE to be twice the frame rate ... I often will shoot outdoor stuff at shutter speeds right up to 1/6000 sec!!!!! Just be careful though..if you are filming movement ..like running water a very high shutter can freeze the action on each frame so it starts to look un-natural!!

I think if you are buying Nikon mount lenses then rather splash out a little extra for an adapter with the aperture lever ...both my Novoflex adapters have them!

Chris
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Inner Circle

A little off topic guys but I use a Tamron 24-70 (canon mount) with my metabones and run it at a constant 2.8 - mainly for dim evening receptions and it's fantastic - sharper image than my canon L series 24-105!!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Major Player

HAs the tamron a pin on the inside of the lens for aperture control?
I think I will buy this cheap adapter. I think I will take the risk

Old February 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Inner Circle

The first cheap adapter I bought was a FOTGA for only $35.00 and it also had an aperture lever but the actuator looked like a pin that was actually a tiny piece of threaded rod. The adapter jammed on the camera and was so tight on my Nikon lenses it marked the mount quite badly.

I threw it in the bin!! I cannot see the logic in damaging an almost $4000 camera with a $30 adapter!!!

I would seriously buy a decent adapter like a Novoflex from Germany ..Mine were 160 euros and they are well made and fit perfectly. I got mine from a guy in Germany who also sells vintage lenses called the "Camera Gentleman"

Really don't buy Chinese cheap rubbish and damage your camera. lens or both!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)