DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Charging Generic Sony Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/523011-charging-generic-sony-batteries.html)

Chris Harding April 28th, 2014 06:45 PM

Charging Generic Sony Batteries

Hi Guys

I obviously use InfoLithium batteries on my cameras but my video lights also use the same batteries as my cameras but they are generic ones that came with the lights.

Who is charging generic batteries on their EA-50 charger??? If I put a generic battery in my charger it charges OK but the charge light never goes off despite the battery reaching the 8.3 volt fully charged level.

The genuine InfoLithium's charge fine and when they reach 8.3 volts the charger shuts down and the orange light goes off but with the generics the light just stays on!

Anyone charging non-Sony batteries on the charger??

Chris

Michael Spanheimer April 29th, 2014 01:13 AM

Re: Charging Generic Sony Batteries

Hello Chris

I charge my SWIT S-8972 7,2V 6600 mAh and some other noname Clones....
Everything is doing fine...light goes off when they are charged.

Peter Rush April 29th, 2014 01:57 AM

Hi Chris - My Hahnel batteries charge OK and the light goes off, but my Duracell DR5 (I use them for my lights) charge ok but the light doesn't go off.

Pete

Chris Harding April 29th, 2014 02:29 AM

Thanks Guys

It's no biggy as I have a multimeter so when the battery reaches 8.3 which is the nominal charging voltage ..I assume it's done but my generics don't turn off!! It's only my video light batteries as well!

Chris

Sergei Freedman May 10th, 2014 03:02 AM

I found out that some generic batteries 'make troubles' with original Sony AC-VL1 charger (the charger that usually comes with EA50). My SWIT S-8972 takes more than 25 hours (!) to be fully charged and to turn off the charging LED of the AC-VL1 charger! So my way to beat it - I'm charging only original Sony InfoLithium batteries in AC-VL1 charger, while my SWITs I charge with generic charger of my LED light batteries. Much faster! :) I have something like that one:
Battery Charger F Sony NP F550 NP F330 NP F570 NP F750 NP F960 NP F970 NP F770 | eBay

Phil Goetz May 10th, 2014 10:03 AM

Dolgin is good people to discuss this with... but if you have knock off batteries you might not be in the market for a really nice charger..

TC200 Two Position Battery Charger [TC200] - $259.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Products

Theo Dilworth May 10th, 2014 01:56 PM

i've got a variety of generic sony batteries & they're pretty inconsistent charging with the sony charger -- some shut off after charged, some don't. i've found the best option for these is to use a cheapo $2 charger on these & never had one not behave.

Chris Harding May 10th, 2014 06:43 PM

My very first two LED lights came with batteries and charger ...yes, they work but again really, really slow and take absolute ages to charge the battery! Usually it's an overnight thing. Maybe it will be worth looking on ebay and seeing what chargers are around for Sony batteries

Chris