Charging Generic Sony Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Charging Generic Sony Batteries

Hi Guys

I obviously use InfoLithium batteries on my cameras but my video lights also use the same batteries as my cameras but they are generic ones that came with the lights.

Who is charging generic batteries on their EA-50 charger??? If I put a generic battery in my charger it charges OK but the charge light never goes off despite the battery reaching the 8.3 volt fully charged level.

The genuine InfoLithium's charge fine and when they reach 8.3 volts the charger shuts down and the orange light goes off but with the generics the light just stays on!

Anyone charging non-Sony batteries on the charger??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Charging Generic Sony Batteries

Hello Chris

I charge my SWIT S-8972 7,2V 6600 mAh and some other noname Clones....
Everything is doing fine...light goes off when they are charged.
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chris - My Hahnel batteries charge OK and the light goes off, but my Duracell DR5 (I use them for my lights) charge ok but the light doesn't go off.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

It's no biggy as I have a multimeter so when the battery reaches 8.3 which is the nominal charging voltage ..I assume it's done but my generics don't turn off!! It's only my video light batteries as well!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #5
New Boot

I found out that some generic batteries 'make troubles' with original Sony AC-VL1 charger (the charger that usually comes with EA50). My SWIT S-8972 takes more than 25 hours (!) to be fully charged and to turn off the charging LED of the AC-VL1 charger! So my way to beat it - I'm charging only original Sony InfoLithium batteries in AC-VL1 charger, while my SWITs I charge with generic charger of my LED light batteries. Much faster! :) I have something like that one:
Battery Charger F Sony NP F550 NP F330 NP F570 NP F750 NP F960 NP F970 NP F770 | eBay
Sergei Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Austinite

Dolgin is good people to discuss this with... but if you have knock off batteries you might not be in the market for a really nice charger..

TC200 Two Position Battery Charger [TC200] - $259.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Products
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #7
New Boot

i've got a variety of generic sony batteries & they're pretty inconsistent charging with the sony charger -- some shut off after charged, some don't. i've found the best option for these is to use a cheapo $2 charger on these & never had one not behave.
Theo Dilworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

My very first two LED lights came with batteries and charger ...yes, they work but again really, really slow and take absolute ages to charge the battery! Usually it's an overnight thing. Maybe it will be worth looking on ebay and seeing what chargers are around for Sony batteries

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)