Decided to Sell My EA50 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 17th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Decided to Sell My EA50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bobilin View Post
Hi Aaron,
Like you, I am still learning and want to shift toward new and creative techniques. One of the the best things I ever did was to take a short non-credit class about lighting for film. It was taught by a gaffer (or electrician) who works in the film industry.
We looked at footage from films and he explained how they probably set up the lights. I've never looked at films the same way. I'm trying to use the camera I have, but learn to be more thoughtful in using light.
It is a low-tech approach—but I do like dreaming about new cameras and lenses.
I like the concept of matching cameras as a system, as Steven & Chris have said.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips. Yes i love new and innovative ways to doing something. I have learned that you find your nitch by trying different things and seeing how they come out. i have stumbled up on lots of different editing tips this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Aaron

Eyeline refers to where the person's eyes are on the image. They are supposed to be on the upper third for maximum effect... check out newsreaders on TV and see where their eyeline is on the screen. I assume you have come to grips with the rule of thirds already.

If you have someone static in a frame and they are looking at an out of frame object to their left you need to provide "looking space" so they are naturally placed on the left of the frame so there is a big space between them and the object you cannot see ....place them on the right of the frame and see how stupid it looks .... obviously in the continuity flow one would then cut to the object/person as the viewer expects that.

Leading space is much the same so you would leave more space in front of a person walking across the frame than you would behind them.

Of course the number one rule is : Rules are made to be broken.. but not all the time! Check out a few online film making techniques (that's filmmaking NOT DSLR filming) You will be amazed what you will pick up that makes absolute sense and your shoots will look better too!!

Chris
Thanks Chris, as soon as I saw your first post about them I went and looked them up. I'm benefiting a lot from guys and i know for sure that I'm getting better by frequenting this forum. Extremely valuable advice and insight. I get to sift through some 20 year vets' experience and strategies to get more insight, that is awesome.

Yes, rule of the thirds was one of the first things I learned when I tried my first short. a year and a half ago. I had a cinematographer come by my house and rip it to shreds and tell me what he liked, the industry rules that I broke, and what I could do to make improvements. the rule of thirds was my first lesson... LOL!
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Always happy to help and learn too.. you are never too old to learn but remember that you also don't have to do things "by the book" .. breaking the rules often works too but it's still good to know the accepted way of doing things even if you are going to ignore them. Weddings again are often situations where you simply don't have the time nor space to apply rules ..you just have to get the shot often from a position which is totally unsuitable!

What have you decided about cameras? If there is a hire facility in your area (or a friend with one model you are considering) see if you can try them out? My mate has an FS100 ...it's quite usable without any rig (just using a handgrip but I think it might have been a killer with the big Sigma on the front! Just for interest there is also a mod you can do on all the Sony's (ea50, FS100 and 700) to the loupe tube which shortens it and makes it a lot nicer to use! Both my loupe's are shortened!!

I compared the FS100 with an 18-200 stock lens on it with my EA-50 with the Sigma F1.8 and low light on the 50 was still better even though the FS100 has a better sensor so it's also going to influence your decision with what lenses you use .. on Phillip Bloom's review I think you already noticed he was using a huge Canon lens??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi Chris,

As I ponder the whole thing and looking at price ranges and also taking into scope the advice I have received. I decided to go with the FS100 but I'm thinking about keeping the EA and maybe chucking the Canon 7D. I will not get as much for it but i think that it would the best for my system.

My AX2000 is pretty valuable because I send out a guy with it to do my Engagement sessions, sports, PSA's, and certain events. It is easy to use and the 1/3 sensor works great for what I need. So i would like to keep that one. My EA would work well with the FS100. So that leaves the odd man out Canon 7D. I played with it a bit and it works pretty well. I really like the way I'm able to use it on my Benro Monopod.

Well this is my dilemma as of now and looking to get myself in a better position when it comes to Post editing. It is a bear sometimes trying to match the footage from one cam to the next. At least with the AX2000, EA50, & FS100 i can adjust picture profiles to get closer. At least it will work better until I'm ready to make my next move and probably upgrade my EA to a second FS.
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
However this IS a tech forum not a skills forum so everyone likes to talk about resolution, bitrates and such rather than techniques and rules.
I've always envisioned this site as being about *both* and I wouldn't mind a concentrated group effort to make it as much or more about technique than technicality. But regardless of whatever I had in mind when I started this thing, ultimately it is what *you* make it to be.

Quote:
I got a comment on the wedding forum just the other day because I mentioned that content was way more important than resolution.
Here?! The hell you say. "Content is King" has always been my mantra and I've been thinking for a long time about making that the catchphrase of the site. If I had seen that comment, I would have shamed it. You and I both know you were right to state it -- converting the pixel-peepers to come to that realization should be our mutual mission here.

I opened the wedding & event video forum as a place to discuss content and technique specifically! Dammit!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

I'm with you all the way 100% ... content is so important and techniques too ..way in front of "What camera are you using and what format " or "Will my weddings be better if I spend another $10K"

Seriously scroll thru the wedding forum and you will see the "shout down" on posts where anyone mentioned content and techniques .... I got absolutely ripped to sheds a little while back because I "shot in 50i when 50P was available" I too get very tired about "You have to shoot at 50mbps and the highest possible resolution with the most expensive camera" .... It's still, and always be, "It's not the camera but the person behind the camera"

I sincerely try my best NOT to be a tech head here as I'm far more interested in techniques than tech stuff.

Maybe people who struggle with techniques but are tech savvy find it easier to post technically related posts as they are more comfortable with it??

A few posts down here gives you an idea : http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ackages-8.html

Chris
Old February 21st, 2015, 02:56 AM   #36
Inner Circle

I just delivered a video with a killer shot of the bride doing an impromptu twirl - she loves the video immensely - guess what - that shot's soft!

Content is king without a doubt, having said that, it needs to be balanced with overall good technical presentation. The argument about always using the best equipment doesn't hold water for me, with the cheapest Ikegami broadcast camcorder coming in at around £20k and Sony's broadcast range in a similar price field there's no way a wedding film business, unless you are really high end, could justify those prices - hell I'll just go out and buy an Arriflex!!!

I have 3 CX730 cameras always in use at weddings which are pretty much similar that something uncle Bob might use, I also have my EA50 and A7s that sets me apart a little and allows me to get the shots uncle Bob can't. As long as I'm a few steps ahead of uncle Bob regarding the technology, I'm happy :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:10 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have 3 CX730 cameras always in use at weddings which are pretty much similar that something uncle Bob might use
Those 730's are becoming a collectors item! I still have 2 of them that extensively get used at the weddings I shoot, one of my wedding clients asked what type camera it was after seeing me shoot their ceremony in the church and having viewed the result later on in HD, he was so surprised about the quality of those little camera's he bought one for themselves to film his children and holiday's, saw him a year later at another wedding and the first thing he was talking about was how happy he was with that camera. :)

Quote:
I also have my EA50 and A7s that sets me apart a little and allows me to get the shots uncle Bob can't. As long as I'm a few steps ahead of uncle Bob regarding the technology, I'm happy :)
It's not the camera that counts because uncle Bob can also show up with a 5D at a wedding, it's how you use it that matters, that's what differentiates the amateurs from the professionals.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:13 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I wouldn't go the C100 route (personally). What it costs and the (somewhat) lacking features just kills it for me. One of the companies I freelance for out here insists I shoot with one when I work for them so I use one of the C100s they have. The things I do like about it are:

Built in ND Filters
Waveform Monitor
Down-sampled 4K sensor to HD does produce a lovely image

I recently (last year) upgraded from my NEX-EA50 to a Sony FS100...picked an FS100 body only for the amazing price of $1,200. I've done a side by side and with the right picture profile the FS100 matches the C100 nicely. The FS is great in lowlight and there's the adaptability of the E-Mount. The only drawback is the lack of built in NDs but that's not a dealbreaker for me. I don't think the price of the C100 justifies the camera you get for it...at it's pricepoint 4K should at least be an option.

My advice, if you don't have a need for 4K, get an FS100, I'm just amazed at the image that camera pumps out every time I use it. Having a dedicated video sensor vs. the DSLR sensor in the EA50 really makes a difference.

If you have a need for 4K in the future or just want to future proof, the FS700 has dropped and I believe is around $5K+ or you could pick up the new FS7 which I've only heard great things about.
Paul Abbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:57 PM   #39
Major Player

Thank you for the advice. the plan is to grab the FS100 for now and then I will upgrade other cams as i can. SO the Canon 7D is history and I will usher in the FS100 to compliment my EA, & AX2000. This is the route I will take right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbaszadeh View Post
recently (last year) upgraded from my NEX-EA50 to a Sony FS100...picked an FS100 body only for the amazing price of $1,200.
How did you manage to get it for that price, WOW!!
Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:19 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

Just a heads up that Sony Australia show the FS100 (both versions with lens or body only) as discontinued products ...that's a little worrying I would think ..the FS700 has been replaced with the 4K version but that's still current but I don't see any cameras on their site that covers the FS100??? Maybe that's why they were cheap?? The EA-50 funnily enough is a current model on the website and my Sony Pro supplier of course has them BUT also doesn't list any FS100's any more .... Maybe you need to wait and see what happens in the next few months???

Chris
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Aaron

Just a heads up that Sony Australia show the FS100 (both versions with lens or body only) as discontinued products ...that's a little worrying I would think ..the FS700 has been replaced with the 4K version but that's still current but I don't see any cameras on their site that covers the FS100??? Maybe that's why they were cheap?? The EA-50 funnily enough is a current model on the website and my Sony Pro supplier of course has them BUT also doesn't list any FS100's any more .... Maybe you need to wait and see what happens in the next few months???

Chris
Just out of curiosity what would be the downside to getting a FS100 that is no longer listed or supported? The obvious thing that comes to mind is a new cam to replace it. The FS100 is still a good camera with good functionality. Just curious to what the reasoning is...
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:49 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

I have no idea at all! Yes, it seems to have it's place in the market but the price was slashed a few months back which tends to indicate that they will stop making it ...It's usually a sales thing ..if they are selling enough to make production worth while then it gets discontinued.

There is no issue at all with buying discontinued models ... they normally sell at a bargain price right at the end and Sony will still support them. I saw an advice on their pro site saying that support will end for Sony Pro VTR's in 2023 and they stopped making those many years ago.

I must admit I still prefer the EA-50 form factor ... I'd love to know if anyone has an M model with the new sensor which is the same size chip as the FS100 but still not as fast! Sony dropped the FS100 price only a few months ago and it's still current on the US website but based on what we have seen here it will be discontinued but whether Sony will replace it with an FS200 ...only time will tell!!!

Chris
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:57 PM   #43
Trustee

The bottom line is functionality. If a camera does everything YOU need it to do and will continue to meet those needs for a reasonable amount of time then it is a good camera for you. It does not matter what new features are out there on the new stuff if you don't need it.

With each new release, that seems to come down the pipe at an astonishing rate these days, there are really very few game changers. It is mostly upgrades in features. Unless you are a gear head that is bothered by not owning the latest and greatest for the sake of ownership, few of them really matter.

Game changers are things like major format overhauls like 4K. Of course it is here and eventually going to be required for all of us. But how many years is that going to take? I don't have a crystal ball so just look at HD. After all these years of us working in HD it seams most of the wedding shooters are still delivering in SD DVD and HD options. Go figure? In the US all broadcasting is in HD. There is an HD TV in the vast majority of American homes. But for some weird reason Blue Ray players never took off the way they should have. The majority of those HD TVs still have a SD DVD player hooked up to them. Hence your DVD deliveries all the way out here in 2015.

I suggest you ask yourself what will work best to help you deliver your product? It won't do any good to worry about what might come out next month or the month after that. Also, new models that are on par with their predecessor are rarely cheaper, they are always more.

If the FS100 meets your needs you can benefit greatly from the reduced price if you move quickly.

Aaron, it is all about what works for you. Get what you need and don't look back ;)

Steven

Edit: I just looked. B&H has the FS100 in stock for $2,499.00 and it comes with a rebate for the Metabones MK4 Canon EF adapter. That is a $400.00 adapter that will work with your Canon lenses! All that is a smoking deal.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:35 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Hey Steve

In fact the FS100 and B&H is actually $200 CHEAPER than the EA-50M now PLUS with the FS100 you get a Metabones too ..That's on fire not smoking !! My issue always seems to be when I have spare funds floating around, there are no deals around then they all surface when money is tight!!

If you have the cash in your account Aaron this would be the best time to get an FS100 ..I very much doubt whether you will ever see those prices again!!

Chris
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:06 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
A little more food for thought. I said I can learn new tricks. I recently broke two things I thought I would never do. I thought I would never need a handycam for anything. I also thought I would never buy a used camera. I recently picked up a used (new in open box, and it is) VG30 on e-bay. I bought it specifically to keep on my Black Bird so I would have something small and light I could handle there. Because of my stated preference for matched cameras the VG30 was the only option for me. I got more than I paid for! It has the same sensor as my EA50 and apparently the same or very similar processor. They are a perfect match as long as I put Canon glass or Sony kit lens on both of them. I use it for a B cam more than I thought I would, it is not just for the Black Bird. That is another advantage of the EA50, you can get matched B cams for $700.00 to $900.00 (body only) to me that is ridiculously cheap for a camera that shoots the same image as my EA50.
Not sure if anyone cares but the VG30 Steve mentioned is on sale on Ebay right now (body only) $1200.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)