Decided to Sell My EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 12th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Decided to Sell My EA50

After a long thought out process and looking at what is out in the world of Video Camcorders. I will sale my EA for Canon C100. Do I have any opposition? If so what is your thoughts?
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

re: Decided to Sell My EA50

Hi Aaron

A camera is a personal choice .. The C100 body only here is $2K more than an EA-50 and it's a cinema camera ... I would assume that this choice is based more on the fact that you have a pile of good Canon glass at your disposal so that would make sense. I certainly wouldn't buy one as I have Nikon lenses and the C100 form factor for doing handheld shots is really terrible .. An FS100 is far better but then you need Sony lenses don't you

I think you will cry when you have to go back to a crappy little 0.24" EVF (the LCD is external so useless in daylight) We really are spoilt with the huge EVF that the EA-50 has (so does the FS100 and 700)

You could get a Sony FS700 body for the same price too so the only reason I would go for a C100 would be if I had a whole case full of quality Canon lenses. You can get an FS100 for half the price of a C100 as it has variable frame rates too!!

Why don't YOU tell us why you have decided to change to Canon??? I am sure it's the lenses issue!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; February 13th, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

C100 has no 50p - that seals it's fate for me

https://www.facebook.com/philipbloom...50988387580426

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

+1 for the sony fs100 , it's selling very cheap now (half the price of a c100), IQ wise it would be a upgrade compared to the nex-ea50 and you can continue to use your Sony lenses.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: Decided to Sell My EA50

With an adaptor you can also use Canon lenses of course if the issue is the Canon lens side. Yeah, I forgot about the lack of 50P .... the C100 still shoots AVCHD at a max or 24 mbps so it has nothing special on the file format side either.
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #6
Major Player

Well here in the states the C100 is trending around 3K - 3.5K.

Canon C100 Mint Condition with Only 93 Hours on It 013803147926 | eBay

I'm ready to stop using adapters and I want better glass than the Sony glass. I do have a good selection of Canon glass between mine and my wife's Canon glass. Looking at the form factor the FS series are not actual shoulder cams like the C100. The C100 can go on a rig just like the FS cams. To be honest the adapter situation is getting to me a bit. I have not been recording anything lately because this is our slow season for weddings but we are about to jump right into our busy part of the year and the first thing that is on my mind are those damn adapters. I love my EA but I want to get away from adapters.

The FS700 would be awesome with all the features, bells, and whistles but I will still be at the mercy of adapters. To be honest I'm not 100% sold on the C100 but I am learning that way and I will be making a choice here by the end of the month and pulling the trigger. the C100 at 3.25K is in my price range. I will sell my EA for 2K here in the states and will add a grand to that to get what I think is an upgrade.
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

Where is the C100 a shoulder mount camera??? It's a cinema camera and to hand hold that it will have to go on a rig. Sounds like you are pretty much sold on the C100 so if that's what you want ..grab it!!

I certainly wouldn't buy one cos I don't have Canon glass and Canon glass is pricey ..plus the EVF really sucks on the C100 if I hand hold which I do a lot!! and really with no 60P ???? what were they thinking???

Nice if you can get $2K for your Sony though!
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I think I will rent one first and check it out to see how I like it and then go from there. The FS700 is about 4.5K here in the states. Maybe I will like it enough where the adapters dont bother me as much. I think i need to get a hands on look at them both and then go from there. I will try and keep this thread updated as I go.
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Major Player

After comparing the specs I'm going to go for the FS700. Hands Down!! I would rather have the FS700 and have the resale value instead of the limited features of the C100. Wow, I did not realize that he FS700 was so advanced. Thanks for all the advice. I Love this forum!
Old February 14th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

You get so used to using lenses in manual it just becomes second nature! With focus peaking it makes life really easy. I really admit that Sony don't have a decent range of lenses, especially fast ones!! See if you can get an FS700 body only .... However bear also in mind that Sony have the FS100 on a ridiculous special at the moment and you could probably get two FS100's for the same price as an FS700 but AFAIK on the new FS700 will be a 4K machine .... You will still need a mini rig for shoulder mount shooting but as it needs is a rail with a shoulder pad on the end ... the rest works very well as it is!
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:51 AM   #11
Trustee

I think the FS700 is a great choice right now. I just bought one and have loved it so far (upgrading from Canon 5DmkIII's). I use Canon lenses on it with a Metabones adapter and it's no different than using them on my Canon DSLR's in movie mode.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Some reviews here: Review of Sony FS700! Both parts now live!! | Philip Bloom
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #13
Trustee

Hey Arron,

If I remember correctly didn't you sell your kit lens? I thought you did because I suggested you keep it?

A new EA50 is $2,600.00 after rebate with a lens. I think $2,000.00 for a used EA50 body only might be optimistic???

Camera ergonomics are a big priority to me. Personally I don't like rigs. After shooting with an EA50 I wonder how much you will enjoy adapting any other camera to your run and gun shooting.

Steve
Old February 15th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I guess if Aaron has limited his activities to non run 'n gun and is shooting from a tripod it doesn't really matter! My mate has an FS100 and with a small prime up front you can actually hand hold the camera with the grip and strap but put on a decent and practical lens and do run 'n gun and you definitely need a decent rig and like you I find them a pain and love the EA-50 form factor!

If I wanted to get a camera with a bigger sensor I think the FS100 would be good enough ..then again if you need a lot of super slomo the 700 is a better camera by far!

The EA50 is STILL and awesome camera with the right glass and I have no intention at this stage of changing mine ... I do weddings using just the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lenses and my video light stays in the box.

I don't want to sway Aaron's thinking but for me TWO EA-50's with nice lenses for me is a better setup than having just one FS700 .... one could get a nice second cam and a couple of new lenses for the difference!

Chris
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I think the FS700 is a great choice right now. I just bought one and have loved it so far (upgrading from Canon 5DmkIII's). I use Canon lenses on it with a Metabones adapter and it's no different than using them on my Canon DSLR's in movie mode.
That sounds really good, I have not tried the Metabones as of yet but I look for forward to getting around to it. Just so that I can see for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Aaron

You get so used to using lenses in manual it just becomes second nature! With focus peaking it makes life really easy. I really admit that Sony don't have a decent range of lenses, especially fast ones!! See if you can get an FS700 body only .... However bear also in mind that Sony have the FS100 on a ridiculous special at the moment and you could probably get two FS100's for the same price as an FS700 but AFAIK on the new FS700 will be a 4K machine .... You will still need a mini rig for shoulder mount shooting but as it needs is a rail with a shoulder pad on the end ... the rest works very well as it is!
I was looking at the FS100's as well. The 4K, Slow Motion, and the ND Filters was speaking loud to me when i looked at the FS700. Who knows... It all depends on the availability of the FS700 at the price range I'm willing to pay when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Last week the FS700 was selling as low as 4.5K but as of today it is back to over 5K. I will keep checking the price range on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I love reviews, and I try my best to always check them out. They have a good bearing sometimes on how i learn toward or away from certain items. I don't rely solely on them but they do help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Hey Arron,

If I remember correctly didn't you sell your kit lens? I thought you did because I suggested you keep it?

A new EA50 is $2,600.00 after rebate with a lens. I think $2,000.00 for a used EA50 body only might be optimistic???

Here in the States I'm really good at selling my equipment because i take such great great care of it. It is all about presentation, the better your presentation is the easier you can sell. What I may do and grab one of my Wife's cheap Canon Lens' and bundle it with an adapter. Presentation is everthing when selling online. I have sold quite a bit and understand the market pretty well. May not be 2K for just the body but it will be very close. I sold my Kit lens and got the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 which to me was a great swap.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)