Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #16
Trustee

add 24p and they sell 2x, 3x, 4x more? I'm guessing the 'pro' version will have 24p and xlr's as has been Sony's M.O. for as long as I can remember.

I do have misgivings about the handycam style body. Those types of cameras are really no better suited for serious video work than are the DSLR's and need lots of extras to function like a 'real' camera. At this price point I think a lot of people are still better off opting for a DSLR due to the fact they offer 24p or 30p and higher bit rates and really are no more clunky to use. The only advantages of this particular Sony offering I can see is that I'm assuming the on board audio handling should be superior to the DSLR's and it has a swivel screen, but then again doesn't the gh-1?

We're in the early days of a new era and nothing feels quite right yet. Hopefully in another year things will improve and mature a bit. This seems like an intermediate evolutionary step and I can't help but wonder who gets it right first. That being said, I still can't wait to see some professionally shot footage come out of this thing.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #17
Major Player

These comments are really amusing.

It's the first purpose built big sensor, consumer grade videocam to hit the market and it's whine, moan, and complain that it's not pro. If it had everything you folks wanted it to be, Sony would have just vaporized the sales of their own HXR-NX5U ($4K USD) and HDR-AX2000 ($3.5K USD), which have been out for how many months?

Now for my own complaint(s). I see no North American release date. And I would really like to see demo footage.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Trustee

What a lot of us are expecting is for Sony to offer progressive modes like Canon and Panasonic. That's not asking for too much. That's being realistic based on the year we're in.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #19
Trustee

This baby has just started a new war. Previously other brands cant take the lead for they were probably OEMs for each other. Now that Sony has taken this step, all the major players will jump in.

Its interesting to see that they will pose a threat for their higher end products with this large sensor.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
What a lot of us are expecting is for Sony to offer progressive modes like Canon and Panasonic. That's not asking for too much. That's being realistic based on the year we're in.
I understand the disappointment that Sony doesn't offer 24p, but given Sony doesn't offer it in any other consumer grade camcorder, I don't understand the surprise. And that they would offer XLR connections in a consumer grade camcorder? At this price point? Absolutely no chance. I would have to see it to believe it.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #21
Regular Crew

My Guess?

Alot of people here have been wanting pro features. My guess is that they are going to get rid of the Z7 line, and replace the original sensor block with this guy. It makes the most sense if they were going to but that style sensor in that size camera.

But remember, like one of you said (sorry, didn't quote directly) this would KILL their >$4000 Pro Market. Sony knows this, and so they're going to "Dumb-Down" the camera and release a more expensive "Pro" model later.

My 2 cents at least
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #22
Regular Crew

sony said at Nab earlier this year they would release a 35mm camcorder by next years Nab.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...shown-nab.html

i imagine this will be what we are expecting.
I've just ordered a nex-5 and will hopefully get this in october when it arrives so I can change lenses between them.

I think it's perfect for what I need, but look forward to a big brother next year. just hope it's around the current Z7 prices.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I can't help but think - Is this our future? It looks like a toy. If this is what the "pro" model might look like I am having a tough time seeing showing up for a job and using this as a main camera.

Let's hope the next version looks a bit more up to the task.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #24
Trustee

The issue that I have is this "These comments are really amusing"
Theirs really nothing amusing about people requesting progressive modes.

It's like in the past when I would say that certain camcorders should have a traditional focusing ring and their would sometimes be people saying that I'm asking for a professional camcorder.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

It's simply a matter of unrealistic expectations. This is a *consumer* product.

Knowing the history of the Sony lines, there's no reason not to assume that
there could be a pro-oriented variant following shortly after this one. Think
VX2000 vs. PD150, FX1 vs. Z1, AX2000 vs. NX5, etc.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Krugman View Post
A lot of people here have been wanting pro features.
No kidding...And you think I'm not one of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Krugman View Post
My guess is that they are going to get rid of the Z7 line, and replace the original sensor block with this guy.
That Z7 / NX5U lens will have to really grow to still provide a 20x zoom range and the camera will become far more front heavy because of that. I would expect over time the Z7 / NX5U (1/3" sensor) class to slowly fade and the EX1 (1/2" sensor) class to slowly drift down and take its place. The price points aren't horribly far apart and if you replace SxS with SDHC / SDXC half the difference disappears IMO.

A couple advantages of a smaller sensor are:
1. Easier to provide a lens with a super big zoom range.
2. That small sensor lens is a lot lighter than its big sensor equivalent - assuming that big sensor equivalent lens even exists and is practicle to make.

I think there is plenty of room for ( big / small ) sensor coexistence. The difference will be those wanting to shoot run-n-gun style versus a more cinematic everything-is-more-preplanned-and-predictable style.

We can be so focused on our pro features that we forget what's driving these cameras from the manufacturer's point of view: Providing a competitive camera with competitive features that leverages off the economies of scale component pricing provided by their DSLR / EVIL cameras.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #27
Major Player

$2000 seems a little steep for a consumer camera. And since there's no 24p or LANC control, that's all this thing is.

Yes, interchangable lenses are nice. But there are only two NEX lenses available, and they're consumer grade. You can't use the lenese from a Sony DSLR.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Now for my own complaint(s). I see no North American release date. And I would really like to see demo footage.
On or about 9/10/2010 according to the Pre-Order page at sonystyle.com
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lowe View Post
$2000 seems a little steep for a consumer camera. And since there's no 24p or LANC control, that's all this thing is.

Yes, interchangable lenses are nice. But there are only two NEX lenses available, and they're consumer grade. You can't use the lenese from a Sony DSLR.
I have to disagree a little here. The bundled lens is valued at $600, so that makes the body around $1,400. Sony's current high end consumer grade camcorder HDR-XR550V is selling for $1,400 so I don't see this being out of line at all.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #30
Trustee

Here's a hands on video in a language I don't speak: (footage at 3:53)

-Ethan Cooper
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900