Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #31
Regular Crew

new Sony AVCHD cam: NEX-VG10

Hi All

see here:

Sony unveils NEX-VG10 E-mount HD camcorder: Digital Photography Review

Interesting small form factor hybrid design, not really a pro machine (no XLR inputs etc.) but watch this space, methinks!

Adam
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #32
New Boot

It maybe better then the nx5u. Sony seems to put more effort in their porconsumer products. Suggested retail for this camcorder is $2000.
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #33
Inner Circle

In checking out the compatibility with my existing lens arsenal, I am disappointed that mounting my Nikon glass will not be near as easy or clean as with my Canon 5d or my T2i. Nor am I sure if this is the time to load up on Minolta glass to use on these cameras. Anybody have an idea if the old minolta mounts will work with this camera with their $200 adapter ?
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Where is the Zoom Toggle/Rocker?

Or... is manual zoom full time?
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
where is the zoom rocker?
Don't know how many times I looked at it and didn't notice that. Ummm... I don't see one.

There's a pretty smooth zoom in the video, but he could be doing that manually. I kinda figured the new 'E' mount would allow you to control all lens functions through the cam, but maybe it doesn't do zoom?? Not sure.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #36
Major Player

Cool video even if you do not speak the language.

I find it interesting that different folks zero in on different features and lacks of features. For some posters, the important lack is certain progressive modes. What caught my eye, as an event videographer, and which would be a deal killer for me is this spec (from the post on page 1):

"Minimum Illumination : 11 lux (Shutter speed: 1/30 sec, Iris: F3.5, Gain: Auto)."

That leads me to wonder if, maybe, this limitation only reflects a necessary trade-off between the camera size, lens functions and sensor size or, perhaps, the camera market is being divided up into ever greater numbers of niches and sub-markets? Maybe both?

So, who is this camera designed for other than the guy who made the video?
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #37
Trustee

11 lux?? Surely that can't be right.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Yes, that LUX rating bothered me too. Seems like my VX2000 was a one or 2, and then FX1 was around 5 or so (all from memory guestimation) and it seemed strange that minimum on this camera would be 11 with a bigger sensor. I am used to my Canon 5d shooting in the dark... so this is another big issue.

Correction: VX2000 was 2 lux, FX1 3 lux. Quite a difference if that 11 lux is a true spec....
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #39
Trustee

well to be fair, lux ratings are mostly fudged anyway so maybe they can't drop the shutter speed enough to make this lux rating better?

**EDIT**
if I'm misunderstanding how they measure lux ratings someone tell me. I was always under the impression they can artificially lower that # by reducing shutter speed.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #40
Regular Crew

That was quick....

Apparently ready for Pre-Order...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/717535-REG/Sony_NEX_VG10_NEX_VG10_Interchangeable_Lens_Handycam.html
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lowe View Post
... And since there's no 24p or LANC control, that's all this thing is.
I would bet dollars to donuts this thing does indeed have a LANC interface. Looking at the German presentation of the pre-production camera, I note the zoom in on the barracuda at 4:40. This tells me Sony has an underwater housing ready to go and I bet it connects to the camera the exact same way as the HDR-CX550, etc. do. All of which also have an imbedded LANC interface.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #42
Inner Circle

I've read all the comments so far and watched some of the videos.....

Will I now dump my EX3 and 7D - no way (not yet!). Is this a step forward, yes! Will I buy this product - probably not. Maybe a 'Pro' version might tempt me (and I'm sure it's coming). However, it'll have to be really good to prize those cams out of my bag. Exciting times ahead - for sure! It'll certainly keep Canon and Panasonic (and no doubt a few others) on their toes over the next few months.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #43
Tourist

very limited selection of frame rates and it appears as though there are no progressive modes. Crop size dslr sensor. It would be cool to slap a nice fast prime on there but then again, no 1080 24p/30p?? Dear Sony, I'd like to know why I should but this camcorder instead of the 7D.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #44
Major Player

Whoops. this post was moved from the discussion in the NX5 forum and doesn't have the posting I responded to. Edited to clarify.

Steve Kass commented (in a now moved NX5 forum posting) "It may be better then the nx5u."

One hopes, but it looks to me as though the question is still going to be "better for whom and for what?" The NEX-VG10 is certainly different from the NX5 --- with a single large sensor and interchangeable lenses and what seems to be very shallow DOF capabilities --- it strikes me that it might be "better" for some folks and not so great for others.

For example, the specs show the minimum illumination being only 11 lux (at f3.5 and 1/30th sec with auto gain) with the lens that comes with it. The NX5 is rated for 1.5 lux (f1.6 at 1/30 sec with auto gain). Even a CX550v will go down to 3 lux and do a pretty decent job of it.

These differences matter a lot to me as an event and wedding videographer who needs the low light capabilities of the NX5. But that degree of low light capability may be utterly unimportant to somebody else for whom this camera and its lens capabilities might be exactly what they need.

It is definitely interesting, and certainly blurs categories even more than the current DSLRs do.

To me, this announcement suggests what we might eventually see if Sony were to make an NX7 as a sibling for the NX5 the way it made the Z7 as the sibling to the Z5. Or, maybe, what we will see instead of an NX7.

Last edited by Jay West; July 14th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I'd expect a LANC in the A/V jack, wherever that may be (got to look at this cam in detail later, but looks very interesting). The new "E" lens mount and lenses look to be fairly professional in design, just a "miniaturized" lens optimized for video use in the NEX series.

There are already a number of adpaters hitting the market for the "E" mount - the NEX3/NEX5 is apparently selling very very well... and while you lose auto focus, I'd expect to be able to use a lot of different lenses on this before long.

This definitley looks a lot better than the early mockup, and depending on the spec is an interesting hybrid between a video camera and a still camera - I'm fascinated by the inclusion of the proprietary Alpha hot shoe! I'd have expected the Sony AiShoe, but not that one, uless they are seeing this as a crossover for the videographer that wants to shoot stills.

This is an interesting animal, but I'm guessing we may need some time to figure out what it is and does! I was planning on whatever Sony Alpha DSLR-V showed up, now I'm thinking this beast might be a better choice...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900