Need help with IQ issue on NX5U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Need help with IQ issue on NX5U

Hi Stelios.

One principal reason I use the NX5 is the recording times (and everything ergonomically is the same as my Z5) - I load it with two 16GB class 6 SCHD cards and get a total of 90+90 minutes at max rez. So, the B camera can role away unattended (I do events and weddings).

The other reason is that I love the "feel" and balance of the Z5. And under certain light and when the manual settings are just right, I love the look. I dare say if I reversed the two and started to use the NX5 more I might have a different opinion.

Also I edit on an HDV timeline not an AVCHD timeline so the NX5 footage is "squeezed" so to speak, which means it looks a little softer therefore I need to sharpen it up a little in post. I'm using Adobe CS5.5 but my workflow is happy and I see no reason to reverse the timeline format.

Don't get me wrong I love both cameras and for the price and my delivery to DVD the definition of both delivers what I need. The next step up would be either the EX3 at 35mb/s or the Canon XF305 at 50mb/s at colour space 4:2:2 but for the extra price (and different ergonomics) it's not in my plans for this year when I'm getting the results and making money using the slightly lower spec'd format.

Hope that clarifies my statement Stelios.

But I do look out for the NDs - I think the glass and the NDs let both the Z5 and NX5 down. But they still perform pretty well (if you deliver to DVD). Broadcast would be a different matter entirely.

So putting all these things together it may be I am not using the NX5 to its full potential.

I have had no issues with colour balancing both - but I often set the NX5 to auto exposure (manual focus) on a static pod (I shoot alone) while shooting full manual with the Z5 - and never had any issues with matching the two.

:)
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Buckley View Post
I had a similar issue when I first got the NX5 a couple of years back - I also shoot with a Z5 so I had a comparison as both lenses and camera bodies are the same - apart from the codec.

The objective tests I made showed that the ND filters were causing the problems (depth of field and focus issues on a fixed manual setting). The back focus would change on a given setting as I went through the NDs.

I sent both cameras back to Sony. They were returned with NFF - no fault found.

Over here in the UK we don't get the same light intensity as you people in FL or OZ, but if I do have a near similar condition I go no higher than F5.6, go into negative gain or up the shutter speed in order not to slip in the ND. Not always possible. However, if you're running and gunning such niceties are few and far between.

However, most of the time my NX5 is the B camera for interiors with the NDs switched out. For all other shots I prefer the Z5 and the results it produces. My published media is DVD so it does the job.

Good luck

Well, I've run some more tests and I'm convinced the ND filter is in fact causing some of the grain issues. The ND filter seems to increase the amount of grain with each level. However, it's not just the ND filter... (see images below).

You can clearly see the difference in the amount of grain in these 2 stills (both taken in bright sunlight). No ND filter in the NX5 shot and it's still grainy. The images do seem to be quite better indoors with good lighting, but overall I'm just not satisfied with the images from this camera; especially not for the 4k price tag. I'm 1/2 step away from trading this camera in, but I want to evaluate the rest of my footage, along with the other available cam options out there before making that decision.

After talking to Sony's tech support, I feel fairly confident that the IQ I'm getting is not from a camera defect. I think it's just the how the NX5's quality is. If anyone here has any high quality images they can post up from this camera to show otherwise, I'd sure like to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with IQ issue on NX5U-a3.png   Need help with IQ issue on NX5U-b3.png  

Stephen Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Buckley View Post
...I have had no issues with colour balancing both - but I often set the NX5 to auto exposure (manual focus) on a static pod (I shoot alone) while shooting full manual with the Z5 - and never had any issues with matching the two.

Thanks Claire for the clarification. If you leave both cameras on auto exposure and white balance, do you get the same colour?

stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders