NX5U & NX5E low light settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 30th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U & NX5E low light settings

I am new to video and have recently bought the NX5E i am assuming the NX5U is identical function wise, if so has anyone have any tips for low light shooting, i am trying to make a movie and one scene involves the cam on a tripod fixed in the back of a car looking over the drivers shoulder at night, outside is lit by headlights only (no street light) and is fine, inside just the dash lights, i have tried numerous settings and the results have been very grainy, i have to light up the inside with a hand held video LED light to get better results but it spoils the effect and even applying day as night in editing it is not good, i need to hit a good balance between the lighting and the settings.
I am not confident enough to start changing all the settings without any advise first.
thanks for any help.
Andrew Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NX5U & NX5E low light settings

Hey Andrew,

I was in the same boat as you are. Do you have any picture profiles on while shooting that particular scene? if so i would turn those off, the flitters that it applies may darken the scene some more and make you boost your gain up a tad. Unfortunately this is only a 1/3 cmos camera so its not the biggest image sensors to perform outstanding in lowlight situations.

Mike
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike i did have a profile on i will try that next and see if it improves the quality.
Andrew Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You've already realised what must be done - you've got to light the inside of the car so that there's a realistic balance between the road lit by the headlights and the dash lit by your (dimable, hopefully) LED light. The LED will need a lot of diffusion - try making some sort of translucent white sphere to cover the leds, or simply bounce the light off the roof-lining.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The light is dim-able and i have a few diffusers for it so i will just have to experiment until i get it right, it all adds to the experience and these tips all help thanks Tom.
Andrew Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders