Back focus issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Back focus issues

Buffer overflow seems repaired with a new firmware, but...

What about back focus issues? They are ironed.
If not, its a 1. firmware 2. mechanical or 3. optical issue? Or various issues at the same time?
All cams suffers this or very little?

If is mechanical or optical... you have to send your cam to Sony, no?

And auto focus with new 2.0 firmware is FAST and ACCURATE?
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I ask about back focus issue after seeing this video.

http://www.nx5u.com/contributors/von...ackfocus-6.mp4

I do not know if it affects all the cameras or is it something that only happens a few units.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That site was never updated, Mark never retested the NX5, as Sony never send another unit to him. He had a faulty camera and he heard of another few faulty units. But the rest of us didn't encounter this problem on NX5, so I guess it's safe to assume that this is not a problem anymore.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

OK. Thanks.

My pursuit for a new cam is near the END.

1.- Sony NX5

And as second bullets in the chamber
2.- Sony EX1-R
3.- New Canon (let's see final price)

Discarted:
1.- Canon XH-A1s. I love this cam but tapeless is the way to go.
2.- Panasonic 150. Same to the NX5, but with less options.
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My advice is to carefully look at the characteristics of each camcorder, study the operating manuals and see which one is a closer match to your needs. From my point of view, the EX1R would be the best choice, but depends of what business you have.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Love my new NX5

I got my NX5 about 3 weeks ago and so far I love this cam. Even though I don't have the 128 GB storage unit, I put in the new firmware anway. Based on what I read in this forum, I did a quick backfocus check by zooming on a wall with objects, focussing tight, then zooming out. I looked at the result on a 32" 1080p TV and the result looked perfect to me. I also watched some material I shot and saw no back focus errors.

I gave some consideration to the EX-1R and admit that with larger chips and a different codec, it will perform better that the NX5. But the question for me was, did it justify another $2200 for the camera and lots more for the storage media based on the jobs I was doing?

I like the NX5 as an instrument and feel it will enable me to do great work.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Tourist

Re: Back focus issues

I am not a professional - its just a hobby which mainly is for family, friends but my son plays in a band in bars and I my current camera, a Sony HC1e (miniDV) has very poor lowlight performance; in these venues I cannot control the lighting. It also wanders out of focus from time to time. Which sounds like it may be a little similar to the Nx5
I use Final Cut Pro 7 and therefore am wondering whether I should be looking at AVCHD at all even though FCP 7 has a Log and Transfer option now.

All help would be most gratefully received
Barry Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Back focus issues

Hi Barry and welcome!

It sounds to me like you're not experiencing a back focus issue. If your camera "wanders out of focus" it's most likely in auto focus mode. It's hunting for something to focus on and being a in a poorly lite venue it can't find anything. Have you tried focusing manually?

If you want to check for a back focus issue zoom into an object, focus, then zoom out. If the object is out of focus when you zoom out you have it. Only happened to me once at a basketball game and it can be a real pain but you should notice it rather quickly.

Last edited by Glen Canning; August 31st, 2011 at 03:08 AM.
Glen Canning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders