NX5P settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5P settings

Hi All

I have had the NX5P for a few months now and have been filming on the default settings of 1080i.

I predominantly film weddings and events (school concerts, dance competitions etc) and I am wondering if anyone has any experience as to what would be my best bet for great footage?

I export both to my vimeo channel and deliver to DVD. I am editing with Premiere.

If you need any other info ask away.

TIA!!!!
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NX5P settings

Hi Diana

You have probably opened a can of worms here!! Some will tell you to shoot at 50P as the quality is "better" others will freak that you are shooting interlaced footage as it's outdated but I use it all the time!

I shoot 1080i on both my Sonys (EA-50's) and have been doing so (and with previous cameras) for over 1000 or more events. As long as you de-interlace in your NLE the footage will look great and I have never had an issue. It's a safe format and you get plenty of card space too compared to 50P

Seriously, despite what the gurus say, I have done weddings in both 50i and 50P and once on a DVD (and even in HD on my monitor) I cannot see the difference. I ran a test sequence onto DVD using ALL my camera formats including SD and showed them around to a group of ordinary people and asked them to rate each one ..... every result from them was different yet the clips presented were identical.

If 50i works for you like it works for me then stick with it!! It probably the safest format to use and will handle motion blur better than progressive even though progressive is supposed to be technically superior.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The NX5 will not shoot progressive 1920x1080 at high frame rates only 720P so if one wants 1920x1080 and smooth motion interlace is the only option. I shoot interlace all the time with my NX5U. For the cameras I have that shoot 60P they shoot 60P and just edit them together on an interlace timeline in Edius. Since most output goes to DVD or (Bluray which for this frame size and rate) is interlace anyway.

By choice I would shoot everything at 1920x1080 60P but my NX5 like yours cannot do this.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for the responses.

Should I still be deinterlacing if the final output is to DVD? Google world is confusing me!
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No I do not deinterlace just edit in an interlace project and make discs. I edit in Edius 1920x1080 interlace project and since my project are long ( about 2 hours ) I prefer to use TMPGenc 2 pass VBR for scaling and encoding so export a HQX file and then let TMPGenc create a file for authoring. I author in DVDArchitect 5.2. For Bluray I just export a file directly from Edius and change project setting from the SD version to create a Bluray. That way I only author once for both disc types.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Diana.

I personally only shoot progressive .... but my delivery is always digital (computer, HDTV, YouTube, Vimeo)

I suggest you try shooting some footage in 1080/25P (PAL) or 1080/30P (NTSC) depending on what model you have.
** If you are shooting fast moving objects then 720/60P/50P is a very good option too.

Then take that footage through your workflow and decide for yourself what is the best format for your own needs and delivery containers.

regards

Justin.
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders