Shutter Speed & Peaking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter Speed & Peaking

Two Questions here:

1. The Shutter speed at 1080 60i defaults to 60, Shouldnt it be more like 125 at 60i?, Should I change it or leave it?

2. I don't fully understand how to use "Peaking". I know its to help focus, but I don't know how it works exactly.

Thanks for your input

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Leave the shutter speed alone. It's designed to provide the best motion for nearly all uses. The idea that the shutter speed had to be half (double) the frame rate is an old artifact from the film days when you had a physical bladed shutter. And it actually works, as you're still taking about 30 frames rather than 60 fields.

Peaking just generates a colored line on any sharp edge the cam sees, so when it's turned on you can see where your areas of best focus are. Not necessary if you are using auto focus, but helpful, especially in conjunction with Expanded Focus, if you are focusing manually.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Adam!

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Not necessary if you are using auto focus, but helpful, especially in conjunction with Expanded Focus, if you are focusing manually.
Actually Adam I find peaking to be very helpful in auto-focus, especially when you're using the focus assist function. Say you are on a tele setting and the peaking shows that you're focused on the people in the background. You simply give the focus ring a quick twist clockwise (viewed from behind the v'finder) and the camera will automatically focus on the nearer object, and the peaking will confirm which of the nearer people are critically sharp.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good point. Never had to adjust the auto-focus in this way but good to know it can be done easily.
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Actually Adam I find peaking to be very helpful in auto-focus, especially when you're using the focus assist function. Say you are on a tele setting and the peaking shows that you're focused on the people in the background. You simply give the focus ring a quick twist clockwise (viewed from behind the v'finder) and the camera will automatically focus on the nearer object, and the peaking will confirm which of the nearer people are critically sharp.
Interesting. My NX5U doesn't do this. Is there a setting to enable the function somewhere?
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes Ryan, there sure is. God only knows why this isn't default on. Find 'Focus Assist' in the menu, switch it on and never look back. It's one of the most useful little tricks I know, and no run 'n' gunner should be without it.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders