Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM   #166
Major Player

Re: Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder

I've had Sony's new top-of-the-line 1080/50p pocket cam TX100V for about two weeks and I can summarize the pros and cons of this tiny still camera with respect to overall video capability compared to a number of Sony's own compact AVCHD handycams up to the CX550E(50i) which I also own:

PROS:
-Truly pocketable, slips into almost any pocket, thus making it easy to take it anywhere
-Video image quality in the top quality 1080/50p 28Mbps mode IN GOOD LIGHT is superb. Most key attributes to good IQ, e.g. sharpness, dynamic range, motion, resistance to rolling shutter effects and aliasing and moire, are superior to those from my CX550E, CX500E, CX350E and even my HDV oldie FX-1E.
-Better still IQ
-The OLED screen is superior in resolution, contrast and color, to the screen on any of the above cams.

CONS:
-Controls for shooting video are very limited. In the video mode, you can only adjust exposure compensation in six steps up to +/-2EV. No control over white balance, aperture, shutter or exposure (except the +/- AE)
-Ineffective image stabilization (This alone makes me yearn for one of the Active OIS Handycams)
-The small size leaves almost no place for you to hold the camera and shoot video without jerking and shaking the shots.
-Noisier, softer (from noise reduction?) video in poor light

I could go on but in short, Sony seem to have successfully pulled it off again with the old tricks of segmenting their vast product lines by selectively crippling the functionality and features of their products. The fact that they have managed to build an IP capable of encoding a higher-profile H.264 1080/50 or 60p video stream at 28Mbps into such a small device that needs neither an active cooling system nor a palm-size battery is nonetheless, quite amazing.

Last edited by Wacharapong Chiowanich; April 3rd, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Typo error corrections
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:44 AM   #167
Inner Circle

Checking the specs the TX100V has optical Steadyshot and the HX9V also has Active mode Steadyshot like the camcorders. I am thinking of getting the HX9V when it comes out in Canada . Will be interesting to see how it compares with the CX700.

So far compared to the XR500 I think the CX700 is more sensitive and has more colour saturation. For example a scene showed 0db, F2.2 on the CX700 and was 3 db and F1.8 on the XR500 which gave a slightly darker less saturated image too. This difference seems to go through the range. I need to set low lux on the XR500 to compare with the CX700 on intelligent auto in the dark. Low lux on the CX700 produces a see in the dark full colour image. Very impressive compared to any of my other cameras. I missed out on the CX550 range so cannot tell if this was the same. Grain is not noticably different to the XR500 and they of course are a lot better than the NX5U when it is on it's limit. These little cams produce less grain wide open full gain than the NX5U at 12db.( at least my NX5U). I view grain in video playback not a still image so of course looking at grain stills may give a totally different perspective.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM   #168
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
I have decided to either return my CX700v or send it in for warranty work. The softness I noticed does indeed exist on the left side of the frame only. Here is a shot of a resolution chart (I wouldn't put too much stock in this as a measure of resolution or moire for this camera, since I made no attempt to be very careful about the setup or processing or lack thereof of the frame-grab). I did center the camera to the target and shoot normal to the center of the upper 40% of the image so that both upper corners were at the same distance and angles with respect to the camera. I was trying to verify softness that seemed particularly strong in the upper left corner.

Seems unlikely that this would be a problem for all or most cameras of this model, but has anyone else noticed this issue?

Pat
Did you sent yours back and try another?

Been Traveling with the CX700 and now that I have got back and gone through over 10 hours of footage, i'm not so happy.

Not all the time, but the camera can go very soft on the Right hand side ( opposite to yours!} on wide.

On telephoto the purple fringing on highlights makes the footage useless

and finally Active steadyshot is not as good as my MC50 (CX550)

Going to try another one, as i really like the extra frame rates etc, but unless its as sharp and clean as my MC50 i'm going to skip this years model

t
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #169
Major Player

I did send mine back. The purple fringing on full telephoto zoom can be reduced if your white balance is appropriate for the scene and the aperture is stopped down. You probably already know that, but just in case.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM   #170
Inner Circle

I'm looking forward to trying the TX100...

Wacharapong - are you 100% sure you can't adjust the WB, as the TX7&9 allowed that much, along with the +-EV, no shutter or aperature, but pretty good "auto". I customized the menu on the TX7&9 so WB and EV is right there on the screen

For a more stable image, I've got some Stratos FBX folding flash brackets I've collected along the way - not much bigger than the camera folded, but if you mount the camera to it, it almost becomes like a mini fig rig when you use both hands - fairly effective for me in getting usable footage. It is tough with these tiny cameras - my wife has a WX5, and I can't even effectively hold the thing, and I don't have big hands. The TX is better, and the HX5 even easier to grip while still being fairly pocketable - you really have to try the different models to see what is "comfortable", and which features set meets your needs the best!

I don't expect the TX series to have much control wise, the thing's like a deck of cards after all! But the early reports on this new sensor are looking fairly good, and they seem to be using it across a wide range of features and price points.

If the TX100 keeps up in decent light, I may retire a CX500 or two for "B/C cams" - had thought about the CX700, but really having some doubts with the early reports here. I know that Sony takes a bit to tweak the most out of a given sensor set, maybe the NX70 or an AX70/700/7000 will get the "bugs" out...

My CX550's sill look pretty darn good overall, too bad there's no way to bump the frame rates! They perform quite well in low light, a tad better than the XR500 and just seem to have "got it right", aside from the tripod mount location being "odd". Somehow the CX700 is sounding like more steps back than forward...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #171
Major Player

Just to make sure as I happened to have the TX100V at home this morning, I looked up for WB control in the manual and fiddled with the menu for a while. No, you can't select WB in the "Movie" mode even if WB in the still "Program" mode has been set to manual or one of the presets.

Like the CX700, the TX100V is a step backward compared to your TX9 in terms of control.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #172
Major Player

Question about the files structure on the camera. I have been just plugging in my unit in my windows 7 machine. File manager has shown up with each folder being the video shot on that day.

I just had to reload my computer from scratch, and now when I plug in my camera, I no longer get what I guess I call the file mode. Now I see the lower level folders and just xx.MTS files now.

Any idea what gets changed to change this mode?
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #173
Inner Circle

I think you were seeing PMB either from the camera ( it has it installed on the camera so that the camera can transfer to a USB drive without a computer) or you installed PMB and on the reload it was not reinstalled. They both load automatically when the camera is connected to the PC and powered up. Explorer will always see the low level files but the other information ( date, time, GPS etc ) are stored in other files that PMB uses.

Ron Evans
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #174
Major Player

Okay, I figured it out. When I loaded my computer and PMB, the program changed a setting on the camera.
I went into the settings and saw one about type. It was set on disc mode. I noticed it had Auto so I switched it back to Auto. Now the camera is seen as a camera in My Computer. The files now show up on the camera as seperate folders named for the date the video was taken. And the file names within the folders are the names they were taken This way I can transfer to my computer with a nice file structure and not having to rename anything. YEA!!
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #175
Major Player

Okay, I am looking at getting another Sony camera to maybe replace my CX700. So, does Sony no longer offer 96gig flash stuff, I cannot find anything. Are there any new handycams coming out that would be in the same range to replace the 700?

Only choices I seem to find at 16 gig flash HDR-CX260V/B

or 32 gig flash HDR-CX580V

or new 32 gig flash model HDR-CX430V

I have zero interest in a model with a built in projector.

Thanks
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #176
Major Player

There's a new model just coming out and in the US market I believe it's called HDR-PJ790V. The specs are comparable to the CX700V e.g. 1080/60p, 96GB internal memory, 5.1 audio, improved stabilization and a projector. Be warned though, that your current Handycam accessories that attach to your cameras via the AIS shoe will not be usable with this and other new models which have a newly designed accessory hot shoe. The good news is the FV series batteries are still usable. Check the Sony website and you'll see.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #177
Major Player

Thanks, do not see this model without a projector.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #178
Inner Circle

All the top Sony models now have projectors. If you want the same features as the CX700 the only models have projectors, both 32G and 96G.

Ron Evans

edit: the 32G model is a 1/4 chip the 96 is a 1/3 chip so more like the CX700
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #179
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Question about the files structure on the camera. I have been just plugging in my unit in my windows 7 machine. File manager has shown up with each folder being the video shot on that day.

I just had to reload my computer from scratch, and now when I plug in my camera, I no longer get what I guess I call the file mode. Now I see the lower level folders and just xx.MTS files now.

Any idea what gets changed to change this mode?
Use the software that came with the camera. The CX700 also has its own built in transfer software and that is what you may have used before. I always use the PMB or now PlayMemories software to transfer. Always attaches long files together correctly and renames files by the date and time they were shot.

Ron Evans
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #180
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Thanks, do not see this model without a projector.
Sony has drastically cut back their lines, only ONE "top end" camera (last year there were 3 "higher" spec cams), and now the projector is non-optional. You might take a look at "last years" models, which are being closed out. Not huge improvements in performance, other than the "magic eyeball" (BOSS) stabilizer, which mainly counts if you're going to be handheld, and for that, it's pretty amazing. The CX760 would be comparable to the 700 (no projector).

IMO the gigantic "audio wart" on the PJ790 is pretty ugly, not sure whether the "improvement" is worth the aesthetics...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders