Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old March 1st, 2011, 06:37 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder

The USB cable is in the strap so is out of the way and if you have a laptop with you means there is no need to bring a cable just connect and backup to laptop.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #47
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Well all the latest Sony camcorders have card slots for SDHC or Memory stick whether or not they have internal memory. They also will transfer to USB hard disk without a computer . So if one doesn't want to record to the internal memory just record to the card slot. or at the end of every day backup to hard drive like a Passport USB drive. The CX690 doesn't seem to be available on any of the NA sites so far anyway. The CX560 looks like a CX700 with less memory and no viewfinder.

Ron Evans
I didn't know it was possible to transfer video files from the camcorder direct to an external hard drive. I thought you always had to go via a computer. That's good news. So I take it if you recorded onto the built-in camcorder drive (not SDHC card) you could then drag files, or whatever you do with them, onto something like the Passport USB drive or whatever external portable hard drive you have as long as it has the appropriate USB port. That could save a lot of money because if you were shooting say 12 hours of video you wouldn't have to buy loads of SDHC cards. I shockproof portable hard drive doesn't cost very much these days. Just one worry, how do you tell that all your video clips have transferred successfully?
Charles Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #48
New Boot

Ron, you are right. Just checked specs for both CX700 and CX560 and both offer the option to transfer to external hard drive:

'Direct Copy - Transfer video footage direct to an external hard disk drive without PC: playback with fun camcorder features'

and:

'Also featured on all HD and SD models, the Direct Copy feature lets you copy footage directly from Handycam camcorders to any brand of external hard disk drive (USB2.0; under2TB, FAT32) via a USB cable (VMC-UAM1; sold separately), when connected to AC power, for PC-free back-up and archiving. Video stored on the external HDD can be played back through the camcorder for viewing on a compatible HD television.'

Looks like you have to be plugged into mains AC to do this. I was hoping this could be done when outdoors with no access to a power socket.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #49
Inner Circle

I think this is because some of the USB drive take power from the USB connector and in this case the camcorder would have to supply power. May not be enough power in batteries in this mode to power the external hard drive too. Also better to have mains supply rather than corrupt data if battery shuts down during transfer.

Ron Evans
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #50
Major Player

Anyone have on order? When will the first one be in someones hand?

I have mixed thoughts on the USB cable being on the unit. If it breaks, you are dead meat since I assume there is no other way to get the data out. Too bad firewire is not on these units.

Weird the 550 has the viewfinder, but the 560 does not. Guess they understand how to get the max dollar from the consumer.

There is only so much power you can take from the camcorder. Most external USB drives of any size would need external power. Now, if the USB was small, then maybe, but no way I would want to transfer files via battery power.

Still trying to understand if the 60P is that much better than the 60i. I only buy these things like once every 5 years, so really want to capture the best material for any future needs. So, if I make a BR from 60P or 60i material, will I see any difference? If not, what is the value of 60P?
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #51
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I think this is because some of the USB drive take power from the USB connector and in this case the camcorder would have to supply power. May not be enough power in batteries in this mode to power the external hard drive too. Also better to have mains supply rather than corrupt data if battery shuts down during transfer.

Ron Evans
Yes, I see your point.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #52
Major Player

Am also interested in more data about the 700 vs the 690. I really have no desire to have a GPS function.
Viewfinder is a high high want.

Dave
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Found the CX690 on the Sony German site
Sony UK do not list the CX690, PJ50 or the CX560, seems at the moment we are not getting the full range as announced at CES, but Germany, another pal 50/25p territory are!

HDR-CX690E (HDRCX690E) : Übersicht : Kameras & Camcorder : Sony
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #54
Major Player

Says Recording on an optional memory card - Recording on removable Memory Stick ™ or SD Card (Memory Stick Pro Duo ™ or SD / SDHC)

I do not see any internal flash like the 700v, so this implies only to memory cards? If so, what are the pro and cons? Cost of a 96gig memory card?

Says no GPS.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Am also interested in more data about the 700 vs the 690. I really have no desire to have a GPS function.
Viewfinder is a high high want.

Dave
I think that the GPS is quite useful if you are traveling. Sets the camera clock to the correct time zone and will record the location where you took the shot. If you then use the Motion Browser software that comes with the camera you can get access to all this information in the calendar view and search by all sorts of information. I would have liked this on the SR11 when I was travelling between New Zealand and Australia as I got the clock out by 12 hours several times !! Bright sunshine at 2am is not what I expected !!!

I have my CX700 on order will come in the next few days.

Ron Evans
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Yes it's card only, at a price of 200 euros less than the CX700 it would suit me as I would never use the internal memory anyway as I always back up 16gb cards as i go to be safe.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #57
New Boot

Ron, would really like to hear what you think of the CX700 when you have had a chance to try it out.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Hmm, that "690" is interesting, as it hasn't been officially announced anywhere I've seen, but is a logical addition to the line,,, looks to be a feature reduced 700, which might be to meet a market price point. Pretty close in price to the CX560 though if my mental calculations are right?

The CX560 is actually an extension of the CX500/520 lineage (which came from the CX7/12 ancestry), Thus the "no VF" design. The CX700 extends the CX550 and since the HDD based cams seem to have vanished in favor of flash memory, I guess they also replace the "XR" series at the top of the line. Sony has offered similar variations in the lineup for at least 5 years, if memory serves. The nice thing is image quality has always been quite consistent across the Handycam line, so mixing "last year's model" with this years model, or an XR with a CX, in a multicam shoot is easy.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Just unpacked my CX700 battery is charging as I do not have any V series batteries will have to wait and let the small 50 battery charge. Attached are a few quick photo taken with the XR500.

Box includes a USB extension cord, a nice lens hood that you can see in the photo does not shield the flash when attached. Will report more when I have had a chance to play a little more. Haven't even read the manual yet just picked up 30 mins ago.

Ron Evans
Attached Thumbnails
Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder-dsc00609.jpg   Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder-dsc00612.jpg  

Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder-dsc00606.jpg  
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #60
New Boot

Thanks for posting those photos, Ron. That's a pretty good lens hood.
Charles Higham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders