affordable hand held stabilizer for Sony RX100 iv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old November 7th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

affordable hand held stabilizer for Sony RX100 iv

I have a CMR Blackbird stabilizer with a load capacity of 1-8 lbs (0.5-3.6kg)- nice for my canon 70D with a Tokina wide angles lesns but this is overkill for such a small camera as the Sony RX100 iv (which weights only 300grams_...)
so...I need some advice from Sony RX100 i-iv owners who actually use hand held stabilizers-affordable pls! can't afford a gimbal etc
I did some searching and a couple that come up are Roxant Pro, and a Sevenoak SKW08 Mini Action Camera Stabilizer - both under $100...amazon reviews on the Roxant are good and I'm not expecting Hollywood quality steadicam footage but good. Anyone here owns the Roxant? I would love first hand opinions and maybe even be able to look at some footage- a few on youtube but some are just awful and i think is the operator's fault...

thanks for the attention...
Erick
Old November 7th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: affordable hand held stabilizer for Sony RX100 iv

It's a pretty small camera to try to stabilize via a mechanical add on.... you'll end up with something larger than the camera most of the time....

I myself just have a few Stratos folding flash brackets I've picked up - put one on, sticking to the left side, grip the right side normally, it's like a mini FigRig, and for such a small camera, if you're careful in how you move, you can get a passable result. Not going to be steadicam or gyro gimbal level, but for about $10... and some practice... you do need to practice using your arms and legs to cushion movement, but just by having two grips, you take most of the rolling type motion out, and that's what looks the worst, IMO...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the suggestion...hmmm...of course technique helps a lot...maybe I will try a Cinevate DSLR Camera Grip that I have before getting a stabilizer. I don't see using the Sony RX100 iv for steadicam like footage very much...The Roxant Pro seems to get lots of good reviews and it seems to be compatible with small cameras such as gopros which are even lighter than the Sony.
thanks...I will do some testing and decide...
E
Old November 8th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use an el cheapo Flycam stabilizer to fly my LX100. I leave it permanantly attached.
won't work without added weight to the baseplate though. Works very well for what I do, wedding video.
I've rigged it with two handles, and use my index fingers to steer. Gets very steady footage whilst wandering amongst guests during reception and on the dance floor.
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank You Jack for the response. What does your stabilizer look like? I too would use it with the Sony RX100 iv for weddings etc while I get the main footage with a Canon C100 or a Canon 70D.
This is the one I think might work for me. Roxant Pro. But without trying it who knows. I think I would record at 120fps and then slow it down in post. I can also use steady the footage in Premiere. But I wish I could get those nice steady shots i see from expensive steadicam and experienced operators. That's the trick. The training.
thanks
E
Old November 8th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Erick, I also used it with the 70D 11-16 combo, worked a treat.. Gone full Panasonic now. GH4s, FZ1000s, and a couple of LX100s, one of which sits permanently on the "Flycam Nano" I've got a 6mm steel plate on top of the sliding QR plate and jacked the camera up higher with an S shaped bracket I made to help me get to the battery door without removing the camera from the little rig.

The site wont let me upload pics at the moment, will see if I can sort it out.
Old November 8th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here you go Erick, had to resize these pics!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
affordable hand held stabilizer for Sony RX100 iv-p1020664.jpg   affordable hand held stabilizer for Sony RX100 iv-p1020668.jpg  

Old November 8th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Cheapest would be to just add some weight to the topplate that holds the camera so you can fly the rx100, the blackbird is a great stabilizer (I have one) and it will be difficult to find a much smaller setup that will operate as smooth.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

thank you Jack and Noa (by the way Noa, I admire your work a lot).
your steadicam looks good Jack. Is the "T" design better than the "C" design in steadicams? The Blackbird is almost a T style but kind of big. I was thinking of getting a compact 'steadicam" for the RX100 IV (and a Go pro hero 3 black) for some shots in weddings and live events-easier to fly than the 70D-but if I get better results with the Blackbird after adding a Manfrotto quick release plate at the top so that the RX100 is heavier then maybe I should stay with that set up. I guess the only way to know would be to test it.
I'm not sure than somethinkg like the "well" reviewed Roxant Pro will be good enough.
thank you guys for the responses.

Erick
Old November 9th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Cheapest would be to just add some weight to the topplate that holds the camera so you can fly the rx100, the blackbird is a great stabilizer (I have one) and it will be difficult to find a much smaller setup that will operate as smooth.
I'd have to agree with Noa. Tried some smaller stabilisers that were designed for compact cameras, useless, not enough weight to allow the bearings to operate smoothly.
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders