Video light recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Video light recommendations

My project of filming a track meet went into the dusk hours and I found myself without light.

Can someone please advise me on a good video light for my PDX10? Thanks
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Be aware that a light is only going to work at very close range. You'll get night interviews out of it, but nothing really in terms of shooting night action.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Well, that makes a big difference! I'll address my shooting times so I won't have to purchasea flood lights.

Thanks for the info.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

lights

Yeah, I don't think camera lights would help at a track meet, unless you are a fast runner and plan on following the athletes around the track.. :-)

You can experiment with setting the shutter speed to 1/30 sec. You'll get a small loss of resolution and a little more motion blur, but your video will be brighter, of course.

-Jeff
Jeff S Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It's really good to use the Sony HVL-20DW2 simply because it'll run both 10 watt lamps for well over an hour on a 960 battery. It locks down onto any conventional shoe and has no dangling wires or different battery packs to worry about. Small, compact, light, but not cheap.

I use it with a Lumiquest Mini Soft-box diffuser. It robs me of a good stop of light, but the effect is wonderful - soft, blurry shadowed even lighting that means I can use my powerful 0.5x converter with ease. Also the diffuser means no-one squints into the light. Perfect for my wedding shoots.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've never seen the Lumiquest diffuser--sounds like a winner.

I have a couple cheap Bescor VL-30 lights (20 watts) and I found a cheap way to soften and further diffuse the light (I put a couple layers of baking paper over the light). It brings it down a stop or more, depending on how many layers you use, and improves the built in diffusing of the VL-30. Plus the baking paper can obviously handle the heat of the light.

Probably not as good as your setup, but it gets the job done on the rare occassion I need a video light.
Jeff S Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the advice about the Sony HVL-20DW2. I checked B&H and the price was $79. I can live with that. However, they are out of stock. This must be either a popular light or an old one. Either way, I'll obtain it.

I was thinking that I can just focus on getting footage at the pit (long and triple jumps) and not as the runner goes down the runway. I don't plan to run behind these folks. Besides I wouldn't want to embarrass them by keeping up (smile).
The area is 30-35 feet and I'll be up close so it should work out.

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion