Protection screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Trustee

Protection screen

One thing I would like to find out about are protection film for camera's LCD screens.

This is something I asked about on the flipping screen thread and got no response of. Probably went unnoticed.

But after a 30-day period shooting with a rented PD170, belonging to a friend of mine so I had to be careful handling it, the screen seems to be a delicate area to work with.

An LCD screen shade is definitely a must for ANY camera, and the Petrol I had bought for my PDX10 did fit the PD170 well. A good thing about this shade is that it doesn't protect you only from environment brightness, but makes you limit your viewing angle to the better ones.

On the PDX10 you also need good lighting to get good images, so light incidence on the screen is a problem.

But how do you protect your screen from fingers, dust, humidity or whatever?

If I am not wrong there are protection screens that can be used on computer monitors, but we need one that can be "sticked" in some way to our PD screen.

Another function this screen should fulfill is anti-reflection, which some standard protection film that comes factory-fit on some LCD screens do not do. Bright areas behind you WILL reflect on the screen, even if using a Petrol shade, impairing your viewing sometimes. So having anti-reflection is a must.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

I did see that, but it's not really something I've ever wanted. I believe you will find protectors designed to work on PDA screens. I have never used them, but in a GPS forum that I read, people say they use these on their Garmin Streetpilot touch screens. How about this company?

http://www.screenguardz.com/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I did see that, but it's not really something I've ever wanted. I believe you will find protectors designed to work on PDA screens. I have never used them, but in a GPS forum that I read, people say they use these on their Garmin Streetpilot touch screens. How about this company?

http://www.screenguardz.com/

They seem to have all type formats, so that might be it.

Thanks!

Carlos
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Carlos,

I read in a much earlier thread (a year ago) how someone had scratched their LCD screen, being a touch screen, and asked the question could they remove the scratch?
Everyone replied very quickly with, 'you need to put on a
a protector first to prevent this.

I had just bought my PDX10 and hadn't opened it.
So I put the thin plastic film on.
I've had the same film on for 12 months now.
Use the camera heaps, never a problem, haven't needed to replace it yet.
The thin plastic film can be bought at most camera stores.
I bought mine from ebay, five sheets in the one packet.
Haven't needed the other four yet. Usually they are bigger than you need and you cut them to size.
They are not sticky, just adhere because of... well I'll not embarrass myself at this point, I'll let someone else explain the air atmosphere stuff ;)

Does it cut glare, no. It is not designed for that, only to protect the screen. It does not impare the touch screen feature of the camera.

The cost is only a couple of dollars for a set of sheets.
I believe a must buy item if you do not want to scrach your screen and quickly wipe it clean with anything without worrying.
Chris Thiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Thiele
Hi Carlos,

I read in a much earlier thread (a year ago) how someone had scratched their LCD screen, being a touch screen, and asked the question could they remove the scratch?
Everyone replied very quickly with, 'you need to put on a
a protector first to prevent this.

I had just bought my PDX10 and hadn't opened it.
So I put the thin plastic film on.
I've had the same film on for 12 months now.
Use the camera heaps, never a problem, haven't needed to replace it yet.
The thin plastic film can be bought at most camera stores.
I bought mine from ebay, five sheets in the one packet.
Haven't needed the other four yet. Usually they are bigger than you need and you cut them to size.
They are not sticky, just adhere because of... well I'll not embarrass myself at this point, I'll let someone else explain the air atmosphere stuff ;)

Does it cut glare, no. It is not designed for that, only to protect the screen. It does not impare the touch screen feature of the camera.

The cost is only a couple of dollars for a set of sheets.
I believe a must buy item if you do not want to scrach your screen and quickly wipe it clean with anything without worrying.

Seems to be a step in the right direction though. But it looks as if there are more twists than we think on many of these things. Every time we need to learn an unexpected new angle.

The people from Screenguardz (that Boyd quite well suggested) warn that "ScreenGuardz adhere to a device with static and will not adhere unless the device screen is a TFT type screen (Looks like glass). Most PDA’s, phones and digital camera’s use this type of screen. Video camera’s and laptops do not and the protectors will not adhere."

But PDAs, as far as I know, have a screen which is "soft" to the touch, so you can write on it or handle its functions. So it's not really "glass" as they describe the TFT screen. What type of screen is the PDX10's?

Unfortunately I did not keep my camera protective screen and now would love to get a replacement if available somewhere. Sony probably won't provide one.

I already mailed Screenguardz for a small sample to see if it sticks to the screen, but I am not sure they will provide it.

Another screen I would like to protect is an external 7" LCD monitor I bought from B&H along with my PDX10, which is called TVOne by them but has no name like that on it. This time I did not throw the protective screen away, but it's more reflective than the screen itself.

Carlos
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a screen on my 950. I bought it from Staples and it is the same one I use on my PDA. I forget the brand but I have had no problems with it.
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
I already mailed Screenguardz for a small sample to see if it sticks to the screen, but I am not sure they will provide it.

Well, I was wrong. Screenguardz IS sending me a sample to Brazil to try on the PDX10, apparently cut to size.

Now that's cool RP!

Will let you know how it works when it gets here.

Carlos
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Screens arrived

Quote:
Will let you know how it works when it gets here.

The Screenguard screens got here.

Unfortunately they are right, at least on the PDX10 case, in warning that their protection films won't hold onto the LCD screen. It doesn't and I wonder why.

What I find interesting is why PDA screens will secure the Screenguard and the PDX's won't, as they are both touch type screens. What are they different in? They seem both to have an "elastic" screen, or am I wrong?

In any case I used thin strips of clear adhesive tape to hold the samples onto the PDX10, just to have some protection.

What does secure the Screenguard by itself is the screen on my 7" LCD monitor, so I will be ordering some sets. That may probably be more prone to likely fingers touching it than the PDX10.

Cool products these ScreenGuardz!

Carlos

Last edited by Carlos E. Martinez; June 1st, 2005 at 12:17 PM.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion