VX & PD series battery / batteries - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old November 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #181
Wrangler

I have a three-battery charger (actually 2 of them) that was made by Sony for the DSR-200 cameras that use the 3 large batteries. It will also power the camera if you have the normal charger to camera cable. I"ve used them for all the Sony batteries with no problems.

I could be persuaded to sell one or both if you are interested.

e-mail me if you are interested.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #182
Major Player

Thanks for the replies! The one at BH is probably exactly what I've been looking for, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find it from Ebay :( I will have to see if there are any shops selling it in Europe.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #183
Major Player

Battery Charger & Battery Question

Hello.

Is this battery charger acceptable to use with the pd170 batteries? I am planning on buying a NP-F970 and this particular battery is not mentioned in the add. Would it still work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-DC-Dual-Charg...QQcmdZViewItem

What makes me worried is the charger is for Sony F828 F717 F707 S85.

I think one of my sony batteries for the pd170 is about to die soon. The battery is fine for the 2hrs or so but when it read 30 minutes it suddenly dies. Is this a sign that the battery is old and should be replaced? The battery is a NP F950 that I bought 9 years ago for my Hi8 but since have been using with the pd170.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:16 AM   #184
Trustee

is this a record?

i reckon most of my batteries die (or rather, become unreliable) after a couple of years or so generally.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM   #185
Inner Circle

if I got 9 years from a battery I would not only retire it I would put it in the old batterys home and treat it like royalty.

It soulds like one of the cells is going (gone) put that battery aside and buy a new one.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM   #186
Major Player

Sorry for sounding like a record. I will retire the battery and give it props.

Does anyone have any opinions on the charger in the link?
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #187
Major Player

Odd, I searched the forums and a definitive answer to the charger question was never given.

Someone did post the charger question but it was never answered. Someone wrote an article about another battery charger but the link to buy that charger doesn't work.

So Leslie, I don't understand the sarcasm because yes the battery life question has been asked before but the charger question was never answered in my search.
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #188
Regular Crew

I have problems with a Sony Battery

I have a "near new" Sony NP-F970 Info-Lithium Battery that I let about one year without use....Now it can't get charge at all...It looks like totally dead....

Is there a way to recovery it?

Thanks

F
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #189
Wrangler

I doubt that it can be saved. I had an NP-F960 which I also didn't use for a long time that did the exact same thing. But a second NPF-960 bought at the same time (2002) and treated similarly is still going strong today. But now I try to make it a point to rotate my batteries and fully discharge/recharge them on a regular basis. No problems since then, but it's probably more about blind luck than anything else :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #190
Regular Crew

Hello Boyd:

I was affraid about...hehehehehehe....well, like the Zep blues There's nothing I can do....From now I will be more carefully with the batt....Like ever, thanks a lot for your support.....

warm regards

Federico
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #191
Regular Crew

Im curios...

Do you guys leave your batteries at full charge or completely empty when you don't have any plans to used them in the near future?
David Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #192
Wrangler

Fully charged and I recharge them every 30 days. I have LiOn batteries that are almost 10 years old and still can do a good day's work.
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #193
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
Fully charged and I recharge them every 30 days. I have LiOn batteries that are almost 10 years old and still can do a good day's work.
Well this is the tip of the day....indeed....Thanks a lot Mike

F
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #194
Inner Circle

And there again, Sony's words from the Z1's book is to leave them discharged and only charge them when needed. I never do this though, prefering to know that I can grab kit and leg it at a moment's notice.

Sounds like you have a dead cell Federico, in the battery of cells that make up your 970. I'd be tempted to send it back to Sony - they know even the oldest 970s are only 13 months old so should happily replace it. Tell 'em I said so.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #195
Trustee

I read on a general battery-oriented site that LiIon batteries should not be stored fully charged. I don't remember the physics, but I distinctly remember that they were somewhat like the opposite of lead-acid batteries. Keep lead batteries fully charged and keep lithium partially discharged. There didn't seem to be a problem bringing them to full charge, but they said not to leave them that way. NiCads are neither. They need to be cycled to remove the "memory" effect.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion