Memory Stick Mattes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #16
New Boot

Recieved them, thanks a lot for that. :)
Richard Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

VX2000 - Custom settings for the Memory Stick mode

Hi guys...

I have customized my video settings to give me a more "filmy" look through suggestions on this board and now I am wondering if anyone customizes their Memory Stick settings.

I like using the Memory Stick to take still pictures with my camera. I like the results... although they are a bit rich in color and can be a little sharp looking at times.

I suppose I could play with the settings a little on my own but was wondering if anyone else has done this and what they think of the results. Also, how many of you actually use the Memory Stick to take still pictures?
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #18
Go Cycle

The only way to acomplish any change to the memory stick is either by manually adjusting the camera-iris, shutter etc OR saving your setting in custom pre-set.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response Lou...

I am familiar with the custom pre-set feature and have customized my video settings to produce a more "filmy" look.

I guess I was just curious to know how others have customized their memory stick features, if at all. Also, how many out there use the memory stick to take still pictures.

Like I said... one thing I noticed about my VX2000 is that the colors seem to be heavily saturated and the image kind of sharp.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I haven't used the memory stick to take pictures. However, I do find the camera to overly saturate and in many situations to overexpose. I find the custom presets to be great for adjusting the levels to my liking.

In our business we use progressive scan mode on occasion to take pictures. The advantage of progressive scan is that you have a lot of stills to pick from, rather than the one still that you get from taking stills to the memory card. Of course, the frames collected this way are 720x480 and would appear stretched if printed. We use the frames in video montages, so the stretching is desirable as it matches the internal video format.

I've never compared the quality of stills (sent to the memory card) and the individual frames shot using progressive scan. Have you done a comparison to see if one is superior to the other from a quality perspective?
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Alan...

No, I haven't compared progressive scan stills with memory stick pics. Seems like when I am in Memory Stick mode images and looking through the viewfinder, it kind of acts like progressive scan (real choppy images).

I used memory stick when I first got my cam (about 2 years ago). Just of the family pets, etc. The quality was "okay". Probably because I just got the camera and wasn't used to digital equipment.

Still curious to see who else is out there using Memory Stick and how they customized their memory settings.
Old June 4th, 2004, 02:53 AM   #22
Major Player

Linda, as I mentioned on another thread, it does appear your observation is correct about the VX2000/VX2100 going into progressive scan in memory mode.
It also uses a mechanical "progressive-shutter" in this type of still-picture capture.

As far as customizing camera settings in memory, I never do it. Every series of shots is different in lighting and I like to start from scratch each time, to get the best results.

As far as comparing the quality of memory mode stills to those captured later from progressive-scan tape footage, I'm still trying to see much difference. However, two factors are important: Since the memory mode uses a very fast mechanical shutter, the light level needs to be higher for good results. This means not getting the best pictures in memory mode, in dim light. Also, since you'd have 15 frames per second from progressive video from which to choose, the chances of getting the one special shot you want are immensely greater than from the one frame at a time memory mode.

However, with my 128Mb stick, I've been rattling-off dozens of still shots, then transfering them to Zip disks later. My peripheral Zip drive has a C. Flash slot and with a multi-card Flash adaptor, it's easy to slide the stick pictures onto it with one punch of the Copy button. It's amazing how many 640 X 480 pictures will fit onto one 250Mb Zip disk.

Thinking about what still photographers have to go through to get just one keeper shot, capture from progressive videotape seems like cheating. Imagine what nice stills could be captured if we ever get 1080p Hi-Def camcorders? Ones we can afford, that is. Even frames from 720p models would be very good, if they had 3 big CCDs and low-loss compression.
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve...

I have been playing around with the memory mode. So far, not much... just things like adjusting white balance, etc. Still haven't tried to take still in progressive mode.

The color saturation is still pretty intense, but seems to look okay when taking photo shots in darker lighting (towars sunset, etc.).

Not quite sure what you mean by zip drive, C, etc., but I don't want to get off topic!
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #24
Major Player

Linda, a Zip drive is a unit by Iomega that magnetically records on a flexible disk contained in a holder. Typically, the disks have a 250 Mb capacity, but they also have 100 Mb sizes and probably even larger by now. They are sometimes described as a super floppy disk, but are much more dependable. They often use USB connections and can be tied to a computer, but some are stand-alone. Some have camera-card slots and adaptors let you insert Memory-Sticks into their Compact Flash slots. I use my stand-alone model to store my pictures from Memory-Sticks and Smart-Media cards.
I can get more than 650 pictures on a 250 Mb disk, of a 640 X 480 size, double-recorded, one recording prepared for video output to a TV on S-Video for easy viewing. The disks cost about $6. to $8., less in bulk from a discounter. I've never had a single picture go bad in 4 years. You can get about as many double-recorded pictures on one disk as on a $75, 128 Mb Memory-Stick. Twice as many, if you don't double-record them for TV display.
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #25
Major Player

Maximum Capacity Memory Stick for VX2100?

The Sony website and the manual for the VX2100 have ambiguous translations about the compatibility of their various sizes and types of Memory-Sticks for this and similar camcorders. I have a standard, 128Mb stick in mine now, but am wondering about the X2 128Mb stick (128Mb X 2, for 256Mb total). The website says a flip of a switch changes from one storage compartment to the other and implies that camcorders could use it. But where is the switch?
On the stick? It says in the VX2100 manual that Duo Memory-Sticks can also be used, but what size and type of these will this camcorder accept? Might I be better off to just buy another one or two of the standard 128Mb capacity sticks?
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #26
Tourist

Memory Stick Images

Question re the VX2100: Is there any way to upload the memory stick images to a Mac using only the camera and a FireWire connection? Or do I need to purchase a reader (unfortunately my iomega Zip doesn’t have one). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA (thanks in advance).
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #27
Major Player

I don't think firewire communicates with the memory stick.
Any usb on the cam?

I thought most new cams come with a usb memory card reader.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #28
Regular Crew

No, there isn't a way. Shoot progressive scan and take video grabs.
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #29
Trustee

I don't know if they translate to the Macsphere, but there are USB memory card readers. Some support almost all of the memory types.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #30
Wrangler

Yes, AFAIK most of the USB card readers are cross platform. I have a Dazzle reader that takes PC cards, type 1 & 2 compact flash cards, SD memory cards, Sony memory sticks and probaby some others as well. It wasn't expensive. Sony included a USB memory stick reader with the VX-2000, don't they do this anymore? I never even used it since I had the other reader however. They didn't provide any Mac drivers, but I suspect OS X would work with it right out of the box.

I also use the same Dazzle USB reader on my old Windows PC to read and write data on both SD and CF cards for my GPS units. If you want to take stills with the VX-2100 (this never interested me on the VX-2000 due to the low res) then you should just pick up a card reader. Eventually you'll own some other gadgets and will find new uses for it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion