VX2000 -- various topics - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #361
Major Player

There's a menu item you can only access by pushing a button on the back of the VX2000's handle. It controls the sharpening of the image, sometimes called edge enhancement.

I personally like to turn it anywhere from a few notches to all the way down. It's a good first step in making the video look less like video and more like film. Of course, you should experiment with the controls to see which settings give you the best look.

It's also very important to view your shots on a field monitor instead of relying on the onboard LCD screen. I find that the LCD usually looks much more saturated and has trouble showing overexposed highlights (which you should avoid at all costs).

If you can't wrangle a battery-operated, 9" or bigger monitor to have on the shoot with you, get a small 13" TV with composite inputs and run a cable from the camera. Will you be shooting indoors? Will you have AC power for a monitor? I can't over-emphasise this point. If you can't see your shot through a TV, you WILL be surprised in post, and it won't be pretty.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM   #362
Tourist

VX2000 MIC access?

The left channel on my vx2000 is picking up a 60hertz hum when I turn the camera a certain way at times. I can stop the hum by placing pressure on the MIC & lifting it up. It seems as though there's a loose connection.

I've removed some screws near the MIC & loosened it up somewhat, but don't want to go any further without reading the repair manual.

Does anyone have access to the manual or directions on accessing the MIC?

If so could you please send them to me via e-mail
jpearce649@aol.com

thanks
Jim
Jim Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #363
New Boot

Hello Jim,

If you feel confident about opening up your camera, you can easily make a repair to the mic. region of the VX-2000. If it is in warranty; let Sony do it!

I have had to make a repair in the same region you are desrcibing. My Mic.-In- Jack became intermitent and had to be replaced. I ordered the part and replaced it, but I ordered the manual first. I recommend you do the same. Since I never use the on board mic. on either the VX-1000 or the VX-2000, I removed them to keep them from being damaged. I made special oval pieces of plastic to cover the openings and put the company logo on them.

So, how confident do you feel? Order the manual first. Item # 9-929-821-31 Service Manual VX2000 $29.00. It is full of electrical schematics that you will probably never use, but the exploded view drawings and parts lists are worth every cent.

Your loose connection could be a flexible circuit board connenctor problem or worse. This connection is in the handle, which must be opened up. Or it could be the left channel mic. connection to the circuit board in the mic head. The manual will show you this. If you call Sony for a part, they expect you will have the part number.

Sony at 1-800-488-7669 or www.sony.com/accessories

I have had to care for both my cameras and the service manuals were indespensible. I give you this information as on-forum information for everyone.

Good luck,

Tim
Timothy Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #364
Tourist

Thanks Tim.

I removed the handle & mic & didn't see anything obviously wrong, but made sure all the connections were tight & closed it back up thinking I'd have to send it to Sony. However, I turned on the camera & tested it & found the noise to be gone. I'll have to try it out a few times before venturing forth & doing weddings with it, but so far so good.

thanks again
Jim
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #365
New Boot

Thanks for this reference. This is my first post. What a gold mine find in this manual. I am curious about the EV (exposure index) value of the VX2000. By my reckoning it is 200 ASA for daylight and 600 ASA for 3200 tungsten lamps. Can anyone confirm?
Andrew Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #366
Regular Crew

Buy VX2000 now or wait?

I need a second VX-2000 for event videography. I'd like the camera now but I could probably get by until Jan 1st if I really had to. I originally wanted a PD-150 for the extra control that you can get with the sound settings. However, I've decided I don't want to spend the extra money to go this route. The key question is whether to wait for a VX-2100 or get a VX-2000 now. Key questions impacting this decision include: a) when will the VX-2100 really ship in the US? b) how much will it cost relative to the existing VX-2K's? c) will the VX-2K's go down in price as soon as the VX-2100 comes out? d) how much better is the VX-2100 sound than the VX-2K? e) how much better is the VX-2100 video than the VX-2K? I recognize that very little hard data is available regarding the answers to these questions. I'm looking for your gut feelings based upon your experience watching model changeovers in the past, and on any other insights you might have. Thanks for your opinions...
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #367
Outer Circle

I would wait unless you need a 2nd cam now. Personally, I would wait for the VX2100, and then wait some more to see if it will have any "isues." (Like the PD100 had---which was quickly replaced by the PD100A.)

:)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2003, 09:25 AM   #368
Major Player

Another option is to get a Panasonic DVC80. It's got the audio options you're looking for. Plus, the built-in WA lens would be nice. OTOH, already having a VX2000, you would be able to use same batteries/lenses/filters/charger. But if those things don't come into play, check out the DVC80.

If waiting won't cost you a lot of money (lost jobs, additional work getting extra shots you need), I'd wait. I think the improvments, though subtle, are worth waiting for. If I were looking for a new cam and could wait, I would want the VX2100. On the other hand (I'm running out of hands now), it would be worth checking around for some good VX deals. If you could find one for $1,800-$1,900, that might be reason enough to get the 2000.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:36 PM   #369
Regular Crew

VX2000 Sample Movie

Does anybody have some VX2000 sample footage I could see...I really only want about 5-10 seconds but I'm trying to use it to compare camcorders since no shops near me have a VX2000 to look at. If possible do you have any uncompressed footage that's short? Thanks!

Tim
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:16 PM   #370
Wrangler

By Definition, any video recorded by a VX-2000 is compressed.

What type of footage are you looking for?

People
Scenery
Low light
or?
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:38 PM   #371
Regular Crew

I just wanted maybe like 5 or 10 seconds of anything...just to compare color quality, etc...I wanted possible DVI format because i figured a few seconds coulnd't be that huge but any avi or mov would be fine, as long as its not WMV which loses quality so much you can't tell the difference between a $200cam and a $2000 cam.

If you have any low light that would probably be the best...maybe people also so I can see the skin tone. Thanks for your help.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:57 PM   #372
Wrangler

I've got a shoot this weekend and am leaving in about 12 hours. If, by the time I get back on Monday, nobody has sent you anything, i will do so.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM   #373
Regular Crew

I appreciate it! Thanks a lot
Old October 26th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #374
Tourist

I am in a similar postiion. I have settled on a VX 2000, but would hate to buy one 30 days before the VX 2100 is available.

While I have heard this new cam discused, I have not been able to find any specs. Does anyone know where preliminary specs are discussed, listed or speculated about? And, I assume the availability dates are a big secret to keep VX 2000 sales from drying up, I'd also be interested in any thoughtful guesses in this area.

Thanks!

Paul Ogle
Paul Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #375
Wrangler

I see that Sony is finally listing the PD-170 on its US broadcast/professional website:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...sp=11&id=71949

But I don't find any mention of the VX-2100 on their consumer website. They are still listing the VX-2000.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion