DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/565-vx2000-various-topics.html)

Paul Lohr December 27th, 2001 05:22 AM

VX2000 -- various topics

Hi all, I'm having trouble with my vx2000. I used it for the first time last week. The video that I captured is of poor quality. I brought it into my computer via IEEE 1394 connection. I also connected the camera to a tv thru an rca connection to eliminate the computer and software. Either way, I get images that are not sharp. For example, you can see people on the stage but you cannot see their faces clearly. Around some of the lights there are some huge pixels that move when the camera moves(maybe this is not the same problem). Thanks in advance.

Ed Frazier December 27th, 2001 07:44 AM

Hi Paul,

It sounds like your shot might have been overexposed causing the detail to be washed out. I've found that easy to do in stage settings. The large pixels that move with the camera could be dust or some other matter on the lens or filter. That sort of thing really gets exagerated when shooting into bright lights.

Don't know if this helps, but just a couple of things you might want to check. I'm sure the experts here can give you a more technical answer.

Ed Frazier

Dan C. December 31st, 2001 10:11 AM

vx2000 brochure

I am interested in the vx2000, XL1s and PD150 camcorders.
I have found PDF format brochures for the XL1s and PD150, however I have not found one for the vx2000.

Does anyone know whether a vx2000 brochure is available?

Lou Bruno January 5th, 2002 10:19 PM

Use the spotlight function of the VX2000-located where the fader button is.

LOU

Vic Owen January 6th, 2002 12:35 AM

Not sure about the pixels -- it might be an overexposure problem.

Washed-out faces, though, are pretty common. You're dealing with LOTS of contrast. The spotlight mode mentioned by Lou will work only if the face fills much of the screen. Otherwise, you're better off using manual gain.

When shooting theater, the talent is continuously moving into and out of hot spots. It's all a compromise, and you just have to pick what will be over or underexposed. You need to ride the gain constantly. Turning on the zebra stripes helps.

Vic

Nathan Gifford January 6th, 2002 09:51 AM

Do Not Shoot in Automatic Mode.

I use an XL-1. However, when I shoot in 'green box' automatic the video quality looks like it came from a home movie cam.

Manual modes (apeture, shutter, manual) give you tremendous control over image quality. Shoot in those modes and you will be impressed.

Nathan Gifford

Vic Owen January 6th, 2002 12:24 PM

Yep, good comments. As I read my last post, I realized I said "gain" when I was thinking "aperture". Gotta quit posting when I'm tired!

I also use an XL-1 -- I'd imagine, though, that the same holds true for the VX-2000. I seldom use either the green box or auto modes. (BTW, why would Canon put the "green box" mode on an XL-1? I'd like to think that those that invest in an XL-1 would also learn how to use it.)

Vic

Dan C. January 15th, 2002 06:05 PM

Any reason why vx2k price gone down

Hi, I notice that here in the UK - specifically at the following retailer, the price of the vx2000 has been reduced from £2200 to £1960. Is there any reason for this?
Has sony bought down the MSRP in preperation for the launch of the next model (vx2000a i believe)?

www.askdirect.co.uk is where I found this price

Matt Ockenfels January 18th, 2002 09:55 AM

Hi Paul,

I love autofocus but have noticed in low light it "hunts" a lot. This may have contributed to the soft images.

If this was your case, you may want to try setting focus to manual. If not, then it was just a thought....

Cheers,

-=Lozar=- January 18th, 2002 06:01 PM

Exposure

I shoot a local band all the time with my VX2000. You're problem is caused from overexposure. Get out of auto mode and grab the controls. Drop the exposure down and adjust the shutter speed. Should be good to go. Hope this helps.
btw, there is an annoying thing about the VX2000 is that you cannot adjust the shutter speed while in manual exposure mode. So adjust your shutter speed first, then adjust the exposure. If you need to mess with the shutter speed again, you'll have to disable the manual exposure, adjust, then enable the manual exposure again. =)

dmwierz45 January 20th, 2002 08:46 PM

VX2000 Brochure

Try here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/pdf/man-vx2000.pdf

dmwierz45 January 20th, 2002 08:49 PM

Good question, as I noticed the same thing. Since I have yet to buy my "pro-sumer" camcorder, I'm debating buying a bargain VX2000 rather than waiting on the "a". What will the price of the VX2000a be, and any idea how it will change?

Dan C. January 21st, 2002 02:35 AM

Thanks for that.
However, that is the manual and I was really looking for a brochure - but I'm pretty sure it doesnt exist now.

Dan C. January 21st, 2002 02:41 AM

Likewise, I have not yet bought one of these camcorders.

For me to chose the vx2000a over the XL1s I think they would have to completely sort out the audio, and put that hiss problem behind them.
Also, I think there should be better options for holding the camcorder, as I've heard that its quite hard to carry around by hand.

Gayle Bryan February 2nd, 2002 12:25 AM

Tripod for VX1000/VX2000

Can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive) tripod for Sony VX1000/VX2000?