DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX2000 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/565-vx2000-various-topics.html)

Paul Lohr December 27th, 2001 05:22 AM

VX2000 -- various topics

Hi all, I'm having trouble with my vx2000. I used it for the first time last week. The video that I captured is of poor quality. I brought it into my computer via IEEE 1394 connection. I also connected the camera to a tv thru an rca connection to eliminate the computer and software. Either way, I get images that are not sharp. For example, you can see people on the stage but you cannot see their faces clearly. Around some of the lights there are some huge pixels that move when the camera moves(maybe this is not the same problem). Thanks in advance.

Ed Frazier December 27th, 2001 07:44 AM

Hi Paul,

It sounds like your shot might have been overexposed causing the detail to be washed out. I've found that easy to do in stage settings. The large pixels that move with the camera could be dust or some other matter on the lens or filter. That sort of thing really gets exagerated when shooting into bright lights.

Don't know if this helps, but just a couple of things you might want to check. I'm sure the experts here can give you a more technical answer.

Ed Frazier

Dan C. December 31st, 2001 10:11 AM

vx2000 brochure

I am interested in the vx2000, XL1s and PD150 camcorders.
I have found PDF format brochures for the XL1s and PD150, however I have not found one for the vx2000.

Does anyone know whether a vx2000 brochure is available?

Lou Bruno January 5th, 2002 10:19 PM

Use the spotlight function of the VX2000-located where the fader button is.

LOU

Vic Owen January 6th, 2002 12:35 AM

Not sure about the pixels -- it might be an overexposure problem.

Washed-out faces, though, are pretty common. You're dealing with LOTS of contrast. The spotlight mode mentioned by Lou will work only if the face fills much of the screen. Otherwise, you're better off using manual gain.

When shooting theater, the talent is continuously moving into and out of hot spots. It's all a compromise, and you just have to pick what will be over or underexposed. You need to ride the gain constantly. Turning on the zebra stripes helps.

Vic

Nathan Gifford January 6th, 2002 09:51 AM

Do Not Shoot in Automatic Mode.

I use an XL-1. However, when I shoot in 'green box' automatic the video quality looks like it came from a home movie cam.

Manual modes (apeture, shutter, manual) give you tremendous control over image quality. Shoot in those modes and you will be impressed.

Nathan Gifford

Vic Owen January 6th, 2002 12:24 PM

Yep, good comments. As I read my last post, I realized I said "gain" when I was thinking "aperture". Gotta quit posting when I'm tired!

I also use an XL-1 -- I'd imagine, though, that the same holds true for the VX-2000. I seldom use either the green box or auto modes. (BTW, why would Canon put the "green box" mode on an XL-1? I'd like to think that those that invest in an XL-1 would also learn how to use it.)

Vic

Dan C. January 15th, 2002 06:05 PM

Any reason why vx2k price gone down

Hi, I notice that here in the UK - specifically at the following retailer, the price of the vx2000 has been reduced from £2200 to £1960. Is there any reason for this?
Has sony bought down the MSRP in preperation for the launch of the next model (vx2000a i believe)?

www.askdirect.co.uk is where I found this price

Matt Ockenfels January 18th, 2002 09:55 AM

Hi Paul,

I love autofocus but have noticed in low light it "hunts" a lot. This may have contributed to the soft images.

If this was your case, you may want to try setting focus to manual. If not, then it was just a thought....

Cheers,

-=Lozar=- January 18th, 2002 06:01 PM

Exposure

I shoot a local band all the time with my VX2000. You're problem is caused from overexposure. Get out of auto mode and grab the controls. Drop the exposure down and adjust the shutter speed. Should be good to go. Hope this helps.
btw, there is an annoying thing about the VX2000 is that you cannot adjust the shutter speed while in manual exposure mode. So adjust your shutter speed first, then adjust the exposure. If you need to mess with the shutter speed again, you'll have to disable the manual exposure, adjust, then enable the manual exposure again. =)

dmwierz45 January 20th, 2002 08:46 PM

VX2000 Brochure

Try here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/pdf/man-vx2000.pdf

dmwierz45 January 20th, 2002 08:49 PM

Good question, as I noticed the same thing. Since I have yet to buy my "pro-sumer" camcorder, I'm debating buying a bargain VX2000 rather than waiting on the "a". What will the price of the VX2000a be, and any idea how it will change?

Dan C. January 21st, 2002 02:35 AM

Thanks for that.
However, that is the manual and I was really looking for a brochure - but I'm pretty sure it doesnt exist now.

Dan C. January 21st, 2002 02:41 AM

Likewise, I have not yet bought one of these camcorders.

For me to chose the vx2000a over the XL1s I think they would have to completely sort out the audio, and put that hiss problem behind them.
Also, I think there should be better options for holding the camcorder, as I've heard that its quite hard to carry around by hand.

Gayle Bryan February 2nd, 2002 12:25 AM

Tripod for VX1000/VX2000

Can anyone recommend a good (but not too expensive) tripod for Sony VX1000/VX2000?

Adrian Douglas February 2nd, 2002 02:56 AM

Manfrotto/Bogen have a good range of high quality inexpensive tripods. I use a 501 fluid head on Carbon Pro legs with my XL1 and it works well. The Legs are a bit pricey as they ar made of carbon fibre, but there are cheaper alternatives available

Mike Avery February 2nd, 2002 05:02 AM

Cartoni has a good set of sticks for the smaller cameras. The model is called "action pro".

I got mine for $650, with a decent carry bag.

Theyre lightweight, with a pretty smooth head.

Mike Avery

tredlands February 4th, 2002 05:32 AM

VX 2000 italian Manual

Someone knows where can download the italian (or multilang) manual for vx2000?

Thanks

Rox

Jeff1769 February 6th, 2002 05:29 PM

vx2000 & trv900 compatibility

I currently own a trv900 and a trv 310 digital 8mm (which is not used for capture much).
I am looking into purchasing a vx2000 to go with my 900.
What are the opinions on how the two would work together in post?
I have heard differing opinions as to how a scene from one camera would blend with a scene shot on the other camera. Some saying the 2000's image in low light is so much better than the 900's that it would be quite noticable. Others offer that if one were to use the 900 shooting wide and the 2000 on closer shots the difference is very little.
Thanks for any advice from anyone with experience using these two models.
Jeff

Chuck Eichmeyer February 20th, 2002 04:34 PM

Buying a DCR-VX2000

Getting ready to buy. Looking at B&H, Camera World. Armato's and Adorama. Looking for the good and bad stories from others who have had dealings with the above. Maybe the names of salespeople who where great to deal with. Thanks

Chris Hurd February 20th, 2002 07:31 PM

They're all fine. If you go with Adorama, say hi to Barry Zilberschlag for me.

Ed Frazier February 20th, 2002 08:05 PM

The only one I have used from those you list is B&H and I've never had a problem with them. In fact I just placed an order for several items about 5 minutes ago.

smartydraaws February 22nd, 2002 11:00 AM

i got my vx-2000 and a Gitzo boom from B&H... no problems... i would buy anything from them...

william

ps the school i go to buys all their video equip. from them too...

smartydraaws February 22nd, 2002 11:07 AM

preamp and the vx2000

just wondering if anyone had any experience with using a mic preamp with the vx2000??? just read an article that the signal to noise ratio can be GREATLY reduced by using a mic preamp.

william

ps right now i'm using a studio1 xlr adapter with an AT815b mic and it sounds pretty good, but preamps aren't that expensive... so i was just wondering?

Peter Koller February 22nd, 2002 11:11 AM

as a non-american: does it make sense to ask for a discount at the B&H, ZGC etc. or are all prices usually fixed?

Cheers,

Jeff1769 March 2nd, 2002 08:13 PM

I purchased a vx2000 online from B&H on Wed the 27th. of Feb.
It still has not left B&H.
Is this normal for them to wait so long to ship?
Their website said the vx2000 was in stock, and a rep called from B&H to confirm that I did submit an online order.

Jeff1769 March 5th, 2002 02:39 PM

Camera shipped on Monday...no explanation as to why it took so long.

Chuck Eichmeyer March 5th, 2002 04:09 PM

Mine took 4 days from New York to Missouri standard delivery. Get the tracking number so you can track the movement.

Jeff1769 March 6th, 2002 03:52 PM

I just recieved my VX2000 via fed ex today!! Can't wait to get into it!

Rob Lagerstrom March 6th, 2002 08:09 PM

VX2000 and Sennheiser MKE-6/beachtek

I have had pretty noisy results using my VX2000 and the beachtec adapter with my MKE-6 lav and shotgun mic. I had heard reports of low level coming from the mic and now I can confirm that. I am looking into a portable field mixer and pre-amp

I also saw that the BBC is making a better XLR box and will modify your V to bypass the pre-amps.

I wonder if just using a pre-amp and going line in rather than mic in would bypass the pre-amps?

rob

smartydraaws March 8th, 2002 02:22 PM

i have heard that as well... PLEASE... let me know your results and what you have purchased... right now were just using the "high shelf" filter in FCP and it cuts the hiss... any knowledge about what pre-amp to buy??? I would like a battery powered one, but I don't know...

Jeff1769 March 9th, 2002 04:08 PM

VZ2000 Audio problem

I just recieved my vx2000 earlier this week and finaly took it out for a trial run today.
The audio was set on 16bit, auto (with the level at the mid point).
I did not have my headphones with me to monitor the audio while shooting.
When I got home and hooked up the 2000 directly to my TV, the audio was Terrible!!
There was a constant humm and several parts with very "static" sounds.
Am I overlooking something in set-up, or did I get a lemon?

cesar_cav March 14th, 2002 06:02 PM

mics, wires, working on the vx2000

i have the vx2000. i want to work with one ambiental mic and one clip-on mic (throw wireless system, if i can... $). i know that the built-in mic of the vx2000 gets a good sound, but some months ago i try with external-ambiental one and i like the difference. the sound was obiusly better.
so i ´m now thinking in the number of "wires" (en español, los "cables", que en ingles no se como se dice). if i use a external-ambiental mic, and i clip on... there is a lot of wires ¡¡¡ (someone who uses this configuration can send me a picture - cesar_cav@yahoo.es - ??? )
at night i was lookin at my cam and i was thinking about if it´s possible to put out the buil-in mic and put in a system like the pd150 (it will be great for me, and for the work). i mean, i think it´s possible but, i don´t know. everythinf it ´s possible ¡¡¡ or not.
a lot´s of doubts
cesar

Jinglebojangles March 18th, 2002 10:37 AM

VX2000 Cases: Hard

I used to own a Canon XL1, and was suckered into buying Canon's "XL1 System Case." This case looked nice, but sucked - as far as protection went. I would never have checked that thing through on an airplane, as there was basically no padding to hold the camera firmly in place in side the box. I wound up with both a Portabrace CTC-2 case and a Pelican 1650 hard case... both of which suited me fine.

Anyone who owns the Sony hard case care to comment on it's quality? Would you check it through as baggage at the airport and be comfortable that the camera would survive if the case was banged around or dropped?

Does anyone have a pelican case or vanguard case for the VX2000 that they're happy with?

Any comments would be welcome.

- Jacob

Jinglebojangles March 18th, 2002 10:42 AM

VX2000 Cases: Soft

Anyone seen, owned or compared Portabrace's CS-DV3 case to Kata's CCC-102 case?

- Jacob

kgertler March 18th, 2002 10:50 AM

Pringles Lense Cap - Vx 2000

Looking for a good source for the vx wide angle (sonyvcl-0752H) lense?
Take the plastic top to any can of Pringles potato chips - turn it inside out to soften the 'spine' of the cap - microwave for 10 - 20 seconds - and pop it on!

Chuck Eichmeyer March 18th, 2002 11:54 AM

Samson 32 Ch Wireless with DCR-VX2000

Just received my Sony 2000 and looking to buy the Samson 32 Ch with the ECM-44 lav mike. Does this camera and this model get along. Spending limit $500.00. Mainly using for weddings (mike on groom). Thanks

kgertler March 19th, 2002 10:15 AM

I too use a customized pelican hard shell case for the VX 2000. I have an old Vivitar camera bag which, with the advent of a small airline pillow, makes a perfect soft case. The two pieces of gear I still need for my kit are a good hard and soft case that fits a bit more snuggly and still has room for all the related gear. I had to buy a fairly large pelican case - it's not that practical for smaller trips, or regular field use. Due to the length of the camera - I too am having a hard time finding a good fit for just the right soft bag. Still searching.

kgertler March 19th, 2002 10:23 AM

I suggest using an xlr adaptor plate that plugs in to your mini jack and screws on to the base of your camera - Beechtek makes one for about $200. You can also have certain mike modified from xlr to miniplug with good success and plug right in to your camera...many lavalier style mikes come with miniplugs and work just fine wired right into the vx 2000 - I have one made by Tram -
works great - sounds great.

Alex Kamm March 19th, 2002 01:40 PM

Buying Vx-2000's For $1500 And $1600

Hi,

I just signed on to these forums and boy I like the info I'm getting out of you guys.. Thanx.

But on the other hand.. I wanted to let you know that VX-2000's are being sold for $1500 and $1600 on websites. I'm not sure if there grey market but I will recieve one on friday and will tell you guys more details later.

The site is http://www.amphotoworld.com

Isn't grey market illegal in the US?
Grey market means its of foriegn soil and it has been brought to the US from a diff country. But whats the diff between grey and real? Arn't they the same in manufactuering? just diff manuals?