VX2000 -- various topics - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #391
Wrangler

This is just hearsay of course, so take it with a large grain of salt. Over on the dv.com boards somebody is alleging that some of the NTSC models are exhibiting the hum problem that has been seen in the PAL models. They specifically mention the PD-170 and not the VX-2100 however.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #392
Major Player

I use the VX2100 as the 2nd cam for a few events so far, and leave the LCD flip-out all the time. Using a wireless feed set to mic-in, I have not notice any hum.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #393
Regular Crew

Any way to use a VX-2000 remote as a zoom controller?

More specifically, does anyone know of a way to change the default setting inside the VX-2000 so that the zoom buttons on the wireless remote make the camera zoom at the slowest speed, not the middle speed?

There has to be a way to do this, and it would sure make it easy (and inexpensive) to remotely control the camera from a tripod handle.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #394
Tourist

What to ask for a used VX2000?

I have a friend selling a used VX2000- maybe around 30 hours on it. Not sure how old it is, but I imagine around 2 years ( I can find out).

As far as defects, what should I look for? I imagine scratches or anything like that on the lens is a big no no-- if there *are* imperfections, what would a new one cost? Or is it not even worth it at that point? (and what would constitute being nitpicky?)

I was thinking of offering around $1200, or would a higher price be more appropriate?

thanks for any help!!
John Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #395
Wrangler

That feels a little light, depending on the true condition, acessories, and age.

Get the serial number and call Sony service and ask them when the camera was built. That will give you an idea of how old it actually is. Build in Japan, ship to US, sits on Distributor's shelves, ships to reseller, sits on reseller's shelves, ships to customer, sits on customer's shelves.

Do a search on EBay to see what the Winning bids are on the 2000.
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #396
Regular Crew

Alot depends. If you are buying "as is", from someone you don't know, you are taking a big risk. You could be buying a piece of junk that will require repair. If you take that risk, you want to make sure you save a lot of money. If a new one is about 2500, how much do you want to pay for a used one? $2000? Do you want to take a risk like this to save 500 bucks? ANY repair will cost at least that much. Than you would end up paying new money for a used, but recently repaired camera.

Were it me, buying an "as is" camera from someone I didn't know, $1200 -$1500 is about as far as I would go. You have to leave room for a potential repair.

Don't get too worked up over any cheap accessories. Figure they are worth 1/4 of retail value. Lens and batteries,1/3 to 1/2.

When I used to work in retail, I could never sell used items for more than half of the price of a new one. Lousey for the seller I know, but thats what the market bears.

Now, if you know the seller and know the camera, and you are really really good friends and married his sister=3/4.

BTW-B+H sells used equipment. Just a thought.
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #397
New Boot

used vx2000 check up

Hi,
I just purchased a used vx2000 camera over ebay, the seller claims it was only used for 10 hours of shooting, I am meeting w/ jhim in person so that I can check out the camera before handing over the cash, what are some things that I should check on, tests that i should run? I figured that I would bring my g4 powerbook w/ me to do a quick l&c to make sure that the firewire link wasn't fried, do a minute of recording, play it back, anything else I should do?

thanks,
Drew
Drew McElvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #398
RED Code Chef

Check if everything is there that should come with the package
(that's an indication as well as how well someone treats the
camera) and very carefully check the camera for dirt and cracks
etc. Recording something would definitely be a good thing. See
if all of the controls function and capturing is not a bad idea. I
would definitely bring someone with me (otherwise the person
might get a powerbook if you know what I mean).

Otherwise use common sense. A too good to be true deal is
usually just that, too good to be true. Also observe how he/she
is handling the camera etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #399
Go Cycle

There is no hour meter in the menu of the VX2000.
Old January 17th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #400
Wrangler

One of the big give-aways is the condition of the bottom of the camera. Especially right near the tripod screw thread. If the entire surface is scratched up and the labels are nearly worn away, it has a lot of miles on it.

While you are down there, make certain the tripod screw socket is intact and that the 'bottom' of the socket is still there and firmly in-place. Many times, a too long tripod screw will be used and it punches through the bottom of the socket.

Make certain that the areas around the controls are not worn smooth. The camera is manufactured with a slight matte finish that can be worn down with a lot of handling.

Listen to the tape deck as it moves tape. You should hear a smooth high-pitched whine. If you hear any grinding or rough sound, the transport is probably failing. (tape cassettes themselves can sometimes sound strange) These cameras do have a tensioner bearing that is somewhat fragile but I've never heard of one failing at 10 hours. More like 200+ hours.

Ask what brand of tape has been used in the camera.

You should receive a
1 memory stick
2 memory stick reader
3 CD ROM with software for the memory card
4 USB cable for the reader
5 charger/powersupply
6 at least the small fp330 battery
7 manual (on-line manuals are available)
8 neck strap
9 & 10 large and small rubber eye shields for the viewfinder
11 AV cable for the camera
12 Lens hood cap
13 Lens hood
14 Remote Commander

It is a really good idea to get the original box (check to see if the serial number on the box matches the camera as that is interesting info and might lead to interesting questions) so that you can use if for shipping the camera should you ever need to do so. Sony likes the cameras to come back in the original box.

There is an hour-meter on the 2000 but you need a service remote to access it.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #401
Tourist

Will a vx1000 2x telefoto lens work for vx2100

I have an older century optics converter lens with a bayonet attachment that used to be on a vx1000. If I decided to get a vx2100, will that converter work or will I need to buy a new one?
Kevin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #402
Inner Circle

Nope, won't work. At least not without a stepup ring. The VX1000 is 52mm the V21K is 58mm. Sorry ;-(
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM   #403
New Boot

Tape is stuck in VX2000...

....yesterday was my Child's Birthday, and I thought I would tape some of the party. Somehow, my Mini-DV tape I put in the Sony, managed to get "stuck" or it won't eject.

My question I thought I would throw out there (after all, isn't this why we joined this community? ;o) is this:
Does anyone know "roughly" what it may cost to have a tape removed from the Sony? Has anyone experienced this by chance?

I think the tape was a bad tape, or for some reason it was "sticking", and would not open properly, and I made the terrible mistake of trying it one more time.

So is life..Ha...any thoughts before I send this camera in, would be very helpful...thanks!

Regards,
PMB 152
9457 S. University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patrick Catanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:38 PM   #404
Wrangler

We are assuming that the battery is fully charged, right? You don't hear the tape arms retracting or you can see they have not?

Couple of things to try before getting out the screwdriver:

1. Battery is charged.

2. Try the release switch again a few times. It is possible to mechanically release the tape door and not trip the tape release mechanism. Actuate the switch over all of its possible travel.

3. Reset the camera (small hole on the control panel in back of the LCD screen).

When all else fails, you can remove the tape door (need to use the proper screwdriver, a 00 I think) and manually operate the mechanism.

To do this, you need to remove the battery so there is no power to the camera and then release the latch for the tape tray. I've looked at my camera and the latch mechanism that is on the rear of the tray isn't obvious (and I don't want to take the camera apart).

http://www.camcorderservice.nl/indexvx2000.htm is full of pictures but not with enough detail to look inside the transport.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:48 PM   #405
New Boot

Thanks Mike. Yes, the Battery was charged and I tried it with the power cord, and still nothing. I can hear the camera "trying" to push that tape out, but it's stuck for some reason. I will be sure to check out that site you linked. Thanks for the help.
PMB 152
9457 S. University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patrick Catanach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion