Ideal lens solution for F5 & F55, review Canon 17-120mm servo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old February 11th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Ideal lens solution for F5 & F55, review Canon 17-120mm servo

Here is a nice, concise, review of the Canon 17-120mm servo cine zoom. The reviewer uses it on a Sony F5. I personally have also recently shot with that combo and found it extremely enjoyable.

Eric Petrie
provideoandtape.com
Lease the Canon C100 for $129 a month
Lease the Sony FS7 for $248 a month
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Ideal lens solution for F5 & F55, review Canon 17-120mm servo

Good lord, someone get that model a cheeseburger before she wastes away. Would have been nice to mention how much it weighed. Maybe The Google Box can tell me.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I have the exact same combo as the video.. and agree with everything said.. the only really all in one zoom s35mm out there.. yes I tried the cabrio.. but 17-120 is a better range.. for tiny bit of extra weight and abut 2 cm length..

It weighs 2.9 kg.. also had the same Vocas plate shifted up.. but now have the new Zacuto universal plate to get the shoulder pad right under the lens mount.. and a big battery on the back.. camera is now 8kg with everything on it.. lens/mattbox/top/side plate /handle/battery.. wish it could be lighter.. but worth it for me not to have to lug around and worry about other lenses,or change lenses in non ideal environments .. I also moved my vocas handle grip the other way round so its not front heavy when carrying the camera around .. wish I,d done that before a recent 4 week shoot !

If the balance is right its easier than holding a 5D out infront of you.. but shoulder pads like the Arri that you cant move way up forwards its tough.. Zacuto have been clever to address the "new" balance point of these s35mm camera,s with 35mm cine lenses.. its basically under the lens mount now..

Totally fine on any 100mm bowl tripod.. I would recommend support rods and lens support .. the lens has a port in the front .. just to be on the safe side..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for that review.

The dof seems to fall off nicely for a wide zoom. While not mentioned, I assume it was shot pretty wide open to get that nice fall off of focus. I would have liked to see it in a controlled indoor interview scenario to judge dof, breathing and bokeh.

I could see travelling with just that zoom and my 11-16 for the real wide stuff...maybe a prime or two for interviews, if needed. What a great glass. Wish I could afford it!

Bill, she's perfect. No cheeseburger required.
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Major Player

There is no noticeable breathing at all.. I use it for interviews the time.. 11 blade iris gives nice bokeh.. up to 90mm its 2.8 slight ramp to 3.5 90-120.. outside never a problem.. and just an iris tweak if your at 2.8..

Agreed the model does not need a cheese burger..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta