EX1 and Cold weather? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 and Cold weather?

I am looking to travel to washington for the inauguration and more that likely its gonna be cold .. expecting it to be very cold .. like 10 -20 degrees. Id like to know if anyone knows how the ex1 will hold up in cold temps? ive only ever shot in controlled temp environments or was warm outside and would like to know b4 i subject my brand new expensive camera to these elements. and i hope i will be able to shoot anything anyways ... not sure what the security measures are gonna be for recording. i basically just wanna record some of the events and occurances that are happening around and possibly quick interviews with people.
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Major Player

alister chapman did a great write up:

Sony : Sony PMW-EX filming in Arctic : United Kingdom

I am fairly certain there is nothing that DC can throw at this camera, weather wise, that will make it faulter.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

wow ... ok that says it all .... im in business .. thanks Ian
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Was in Iceland before christmas - 8 centigrades below freezing. And I am currently in Tromsö, Norway. Tomorrow I'll be filming outside and the temperature is expected to go below -14 centigrades. I'll let you know if I run into problems but I am not worried. Using MxR-adapters as well so I guess they will go through the test tomorrow too.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Major Player

definately keep us updated. I am really interested to hear about the adapters in cold weather.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ex1 worked fine on the Arctic, temp was around -10C just before Christmas,
(no cover for the camera I had)
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Back at the hotel after a days filming in the fjords of Norway. It did not get as cold as expected. Only 5-8 degrees below freezing. Used MxR adapter with a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme III card. Worked perfectly!
Also - I must add that I love my Portabrace Rain cover. I was filming in heavy snowfall and also had a wave splash onto the camera when filming from a boat. No problems!
The only problem with the cover is that it took me 6 months to learn how to put it on right!
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Back at the hotel after a days filming in the fjords of Norway. It did not get as cold as expected. Only 5-8 degrees below freezing. Used MxR adapter with a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme III card. Worked perfectly!
Also - I must add that I love my Portabrace Rain cover. I was filming in heavy snowfall and also had a wave splash onto the camera when filming from a boat. No problems!
The only problem with the cover is that it took me 6 months to learn how to put it on right!
you have the ex3 rain cover? or the 1?

I have the portabrace for my ex3. I find its almost better to leave the bottom open (on a boat, I can see sealing it up completely) that way you have total freedom to get to any button you need.
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Cold temperatures are not a real problem for most cameras... especially when it's really cold like -20 °C snow on the camera will only be like dust and not melt, because even the camcorder body will be under -0 °C on most parts of the body. I used the Ex1 in conditions about -25°C last year in the mountains in Colorado for more than one shooting. Without any problems on the EX1 and the PD 170. Also my Canon EOS 5d still camera worked without any trouble. So it looks for me that nowadys all the semi-pro equipment is much more weather proof than written in the handbook.

In December I did a shooting at 0 °C during a heavy snowfall my Ex1.... suddenly the LCD did only show a black screen after the snow had melt on the cam. Ups! With a lot of luck the next morning when I started the camcorder again, and it worked without problems. Strange, but maybe these LCD screens have a something like a safty mode when they become wet? I don't know.

Also I have to say that it looks like that the battery of the EX1 did a better job than the battery of my PD 170 during this cold conditions.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
you have the ex3 rain cover? or the 1?

I have the portabrace for my ex3. I find its almost better to leave the bottom open (on a boat, I can see sealing it up completely) that way you have total freedom to get to any button you need.
I have the EX1 cover. I also used to not close it completely to be able to get to all buttons but then I realised that I had not put it on right in the first place. There is actually velcro that opens up so you can get your hands just about anywhere you need on the cam when put on right. That is for the EX1. Although the audio part of the cam can be a little tricky to get to.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
alister chapman did a great write up:

Sony : Sony PMW-EX filming in Arctic : United Kingdom
That's funny. I heard the same story at the IBC in Amsterdam, Alister was there as a guestspeaker for Sony.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

shooting in cold weather

Did some shooting at -10 Deg C and plus 5000m recently. All went well but the internal mic picked up shutter noise. Try and put some distance between the mic and the camera. Also had a buzz in one channel which disappeared under normal conditions
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds