How are you naming files with XDCAM import? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Trustee

How are you naming files with XDCAM import?

I’m working for a production company doing some freelance shooting and now it’s time to hand over the footage shot with the EX1
I have over 2hrs and loads of small 15 to 30sec clips that have to be named.
I use the XDCAM clip browser to import files from within FCP.
How are you people naming files? Are you doing it by each clip or is there a batch capture where you can re name files which implements a number change for example:
Surfing 0001
Surfing 0002
Etc…….
The naming of the card is useless as you are limited to only 11 characters.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
How are you people naming files?
I always set up my file naming with the camera's menus BEFORE I start shooting, and I never change them on import. That way the names of the clips in my BPAV folders (which I archive) will match the file names of the imported MOV files. If I ever need to re-import the native clips from my BPAV folder again to restore a project or recover from a crash, it will be easy to re-link the files because I haven't messed around with the naming.

However, if you really want to rename files, I think Adobe Bridge is the best way to do it. Easy interface and lots of options. Bridge is free with most Adobe professional applications.
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Although I don't use Adobe Bridge as Doug does, essentially I agree with him regarding naming. Being able to reconstitute a project is important. I'd rather add details in the comments field.

That said, apparently FCP7 Log & Transfer has and interesting method which I haven't tried yet, giving it an advantage over XDCAM Transfer.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
How are you people naming files?
Though my workflow won't suit everyone, check this out:

Batch naming clips in XDCAM Transfer on Vimeo

Yes, I know, I keep promising to update it, but the basic info remains valid.
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
How are you people naming files? Are you doing it by each clip or is there a batch capture where you can re name files which implements a number change for example:
Surfing 0001
Surfing 0002
Etc…….
The naming of the card is useless as you are limited to only 11 characters.

Thanks
Simon, in this thread I gave a screenshot and description of how to use the new L&T to batch rename clips, giving them a new title while retaining the old.

Log & Transfer beats XDCAM transfer hands down - The Digital Video Information Network

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds