Using 2 Wireless Lav Mic's/EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using 2 Wireless Lav Mic's/EX3

Hey Kids,

Thanks to the rebate I picked up the Sony UWPV1/4244 Wireless Mic unit (supposed to be here tomorrow). Though I already have a Sennheiser G2 unit I figured a backup would be wise.

Coincidentally I just got a gig where I'll have two interview subjects on camera. It's a longish shot so a boom mic is not right for the shot so I thought great...no worries now that i have 2 wireless mics.

Then it occurred to me...how do I deal with freq's on each mic. Can they be on the same freq or do I have to set them up on different freq's? I've always had the Sennheiser on the out of the box setting...what do I do with the Sony? Never had to deal with this before.

Happy to repost this over in the sound section but I thought I'd ask you EX3 mavens first.
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure this is really and EX discussion but the answer is they do need to be on two different frequencies. More than likely they will be bt ddefault but if they are not, changing the frequency on one or the other is not hard. I keep photocopies of the changing frequencies part of the manual for all my wireless mics in my camera bag. You never know when you will pick up interference and it's handy to have a reference on short notice if you do.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Trustee

Most modern wireless mics scan the frequency spectrum and automatically pick an open frequency. But if that's not the case with your equipment, simply turn on the receiver first (without turning on the transmitter), listen through your headphones to make sure it's not picking up any interference. Then try turning on/off one and then the other receiver. You shouldn't hear the G3 transmitter in the Sony receiver. If you do, you have a problem and need to manually change frequencies. Read the manual, it's normally really easy to change frequencies.

Now....where the heck are you going to mount two wireless transmitters on the camera? (that's the issue I'm trying to sort out)

But yeah, this thread needs to be in the Audio section.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's how I mount two receivers...
Attached Thumbnails
Using 2 Wireless Lav Mic's/EX3-img_0062.jpg  
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #5
New Boot

see How I use my Sony EX1 Part 1 on Vimeo
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Major Player

No you do not want the same frequency for both wireless mics. You don't want both receivers receiving both voices. You want to keep the two voices separate, one in channel 1 and the other in channel 2, whether or not you are using a mixer or going directly into the camera. It would become a nightmare in editing if you had one very low voice and one very high voice, and equalizing and sweetening the different voices would be a nightmare ....

So NO, do not use the same frequency for both mics, but rather have different frequencies so as to maintain control, both in production ans post production.

Last edited by Brian Barkley; August 20th, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the responses confirming what I thought was the case.
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
Here's how I mount two receivers...
Dude!! Looks like a great solution! Is the threaded mount a Sennheiser part or ?
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:52 AM   #9
Major Player

I made this. Actually it was for one of my old SD cameras.

The Sennheisers have a mounting bracket to which the receiver snaps into. I bent a piece of steel, and used a bit of wood as a spacer and mounted the Sennheiser brackets with small screws. The threaded shoe adapter is easy to find at photo shops.

I think I could re-design one so the receivers would be closer to the camera for better center of gravity. Also by using the rear shoe you keep the weight more towards the rear of the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Using 2 Wireless Lav Mic's/EX3-img_0063.jpg  
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Nice job!!
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM   #11
New Boot

To or more mics

It would become a nightmare in editing if you had one very low voice and one very high voice, and equalizing and sweetening the different voices would be a nightmare ....
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, if you have two lavs in an interview, they will pick up the audio from the other interviewee even if you use different frequencies unless the interviewees are in different locations.

Sennheiser has three different frequency ranges for their mics (A, B and C). I use three mics with every shoot (classroom shoots). One is for the teacher, one is for the students (shotgun) and one is for the sound person to hear the audio off the camera. Each is a different frequency range so there is no possibility of confusing frequencies. I also color code them for easy handling (matching the transmitter to receiver).

I found a $10.00 solution at B&H to mount the three receivers/transmitter. It is a five inch hot shoe bar that you screw into the camera's hot shoe. Can't find it on the web site but if you call you can probably get an audio person to locate it for you.
Diana Scalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Trustee

How 'bout posting a photo Diana?
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #13
New Boot

Hot shoe extension

B&H B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

Rycote 037303 Hot Shoe Extension Bar

* Mfr#
* B&H# RYHSE

$27.95 I thought it was cheaper.

Diana Scalera
Diana Scalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Hot shoe Extension bar....I own one, but be careful...as mine has come off several times due to vibration......but still a good buy.

Rycote 037303 Hot Shoe Extension Bar
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #15
Major Player

You couldn't put them on the same frequency if you wanted to.

Different manufacturers don't share the same range of frequencies.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds