Need Help: Transfering EX3 SxS files to a Hard Drive - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM   #16
Major Player

David you have encapsulated it spot on. I use this method as it gives total peace of mind. If anything is wrong after this workflow method it is down to sod's law.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
There have been a number of posts from users stating they lost clips from the D&D method. The Sony suggested method is to use Clip Browser with CRC checked on (in preferences). Transfer the entire BPAV folder(s) with all contents over to two backup hard drives and spot check the copies back before trashing content on SxS cards.
Ok are you saying to use "drag and drop" inside clip browser....like this:

William,
First, do you know the Sony laptop can read the SxS card ? Please try it first. Insert the SxS card to the card reader slot and if the laptop regconize the card. You will be in good shape (please try an empty card).

Next - Install the Sony Clip Browser to you laptop - download the clip browser (you Sony laptop is running windows so run the window version not the mac version).

Plug your portable hard drive to the USB port (most standard for the portable hard drive). Your laptop should recognize this device.

I would recommend to create each directory for each card. Therefore if you are planning to use total 10 cards (even you have only 2 SxS cards). You will create 10 directories total as:
1. double click on your portable hard drive - it will open that drive
2. on top of that window select FILE - NEW - FOLDER (type card1 or whatever name you want).
Repeat step 2 for the next directory (folder) name ....

After shooting one card, you take SxS and insert into the reader.
Run the Sony Clip Browser. It will open with 3 windows: 2 on top of each other on the left side and the Preview is on the right side.
on the top left window (Explorer) it will show all the devices (hard drive which connected to computer).
When you select your SxS card (click on the card), it will display all the thumbnails for you.

now go to the lower left window (EXplorer) - you click on your portable drive.
Click on directory CARD1 (to open this directory / folder).

Now go back to the upper left window with all the thumbnails of your SxS card - right click on the mouse - Select All (all the thumbnails / clips will be highlighted). Hold the left button on the mouse and drag it down to the lower window (you will see the (+) sign) - release your left button of the mouse.

All files on your SxS are copied to your portable drive.

Typical I would create 2 copies. One on the portable drive and one on my laptop for safer. What if one failed I still have other one.

Best of lucks

Tuy Le

Many thanks to Tuy Le for his email to me.....it has helped alot.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help: Transfering EX3 SxS files to a Hard Drive-sxscb5.jpg  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:14 PM   #18
New Boot

The way I do it...

This is with a Mac Laptop with an Express card reader.
1) Create a project folder on your hard drive for your project.
2) Open Clip Browser. Under XDCAM Clip Browser>Preferences where it says Copy all files to.. navigate to and enter the project folder from step one.
3) Insert your SxS card and open it in an Explorer window in Clip Browser (if it doesn't come up on its own.)
4) In the top center of the explorer window, find the copy all icon in the center of the icons.
Click on it and wait for the files to transfer.
Than you only have to repeat steps 3 and 4 for every card. Each new set of images will be given a new number under the project file. I resort and rename and backup images later.
Scott Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Hello all...

I have to rent this camera for a shoot next week and the client wants me to download the files I shoot to an external HD they will send me.

Can someone tell me how to copy the files right off the camera?

I will not have a reader nor will I have the Sony Viao computer,

I have only a desktop running Windows XPpro. Hope this is enough for the task at hand : ).

Thanks,
George
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Regular Crew

You just need USB cable from EX3 to USB on your computer & Sony ClipBrowser program.
You can copy to an usb drive or any drive on your computer.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Downloading files from the camera to a PC

I use the method of connecting my EX3 to my Mac via USB cable and then using Clip Browser to transfer the files. The only risk I recently discovered (the hard way) is that I didn't notice that one of my recordings had gone onto my second SxS card and so I didn't transfer the file from the second card along with the files from the first card. When I checked the recording in clip browser after transferring the file to the Mac, I didn't go right to the end of the recording and therefore didn't notice that it was missing. So, lesson learned: Check, double check and triple check. Other than the human element, I have found this method to be easy and consistently reliable.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Major Player

Use one card at a time and avoid any complications. Don't forget to use CRC on the clip browser to ensure all is well with the copy.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

CRC Check in Clip Browser

Thanks, Bruce for the advice about CRC checking. I've now set the Clip Browser for CRC checking each time. I also noticed today that the Clip Browser has a nice little icon in the top right corner that indicates a file that has been split to another card. I have a PHU-60K hard-drive and 2 - 8 gigabyte cards. I often use the PHU-60K to record long form programs. Last night I recorded a talk and didn't notice that after power up, the camera defaulted to the 8 gigabyte card in slot #1. I would have normally recorded the entire event on the PHU-60K, but instead ended up recording the first 28 minutes on the 8 gigabyte card and then it switched to the PHU-60K. Since I got bit once, I was very careful in my transfer today to ensure I transferred both files and I then checked the entire playback to ensure that I had it all before I erased the clips from the card and PHU-60K.
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #24
Major Player

Is there any reason I cannot use standard 8 GB dual layer DVD's (as data discs) to save the material to?

I would first copy the files from the cards to my hard drive (using the Browser and CRC as suggested... thanks) but then, rather than send them my hard drive and have then send it back (hopefully in once piece) I would then burn the files to 8 GB DVD's and send them these.

Does this sound reasonable?

BTW: Once the files are on the hard drive is it necessary to continue to use the clip browser when moving them. That is, are they now just like any other video file where you can copy and paste at will?
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #25
Vortex Media

George, dual-layer DVDs are a great way to backup your files. Just make sure to make two copies of everything.

You can move files around without the use of Clip Browser as long as you move entire BPAV folders. Don't move any individual files within the folder, and don't make any changes inside the folder. In fact, don't even look in there. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds