Pmw-ex1r? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pmw-ex1r?

Hello, shot someone new PMW-EX1R? May have problems with IR contamination? Where can I see a video made with EX1R? Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
Hello, shot someone new PMW-EX1R? May have problems with IR contamination? Where can I see a video made with EX1R? Thanks
Just got mine home.

'IR contaminiation' (actually oversensitivity to far red, but whatever) - is almost identical to the EX1, though the image from the EX1R does seem a tad less red. This was not the most scientific of tests.

Sadly I'm not shooting in earnest for a week or two, hence testing now (whilst I encode 9 hours of DVD material in NTSC).

Footnotes: shooting SD material in an EX1R, then putting that card in the EX1 leads to 'Unrecognized Media' warning, can't record or erase it. XDCAM Transfer doesn't see AVI clips (understandably), and there's no S&Q mode in Standard Def.

There's a whole list of tests I'm doing for my own use, and it's apparent already that I will have to have two EX1Rs soon. Even though I prefer the old EX1's grip, start button, card door and the fit of the screen. Maybe that's just a bit of buyer's remorse kicking in though.
Attached Thumbnails
Pmw-ex1r?-ex1_blacks.png   Pmw-ex1r?-ex1r_blacks.png  

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Because SD compatability doesnt support frame rate changes?

on this reds being to high on the dark side, there is an insane ammount of color correction items availables in these cameras, isnt there a control for the red low side, or a black level curve for the seperate colors or anything like that?

on your pics the one has more color , or red on the whole thing, not just the blacks, unless all of that is supposed to be black :-) I processed both to have the same saturation (in the only color i can see) and the one still certannly has less red in the black.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Trustee

The top part of the jacket is definitely black, the lower fleece was one black but is now - to my eye - a very dark maroonish brown, but when I first bought the EX1 that fleece was pretty much black. Whilst I've seen it fade, the EX1 has not.

I really don't wish to expound on the 'brownish blacks' issue other than to say that it doesn't appear to have gone away entirely with the EX1R though perhaps there's a smidge of improvement. For situations where it's critical, there's a filter for it.

Right now, I'm enjoying the ability to record 4:3 DV direct to hard disk via FireWire with a card based backup.

FWIW, saving your EX1 setup to card and popping that card into an EX1R to copy the Picture Profiles across doesn't work. Just doesn't see the data. I guess the setup files for the cameras aren't compatible - again, that's kinda to be expected I guess.

Still, bummed about the lack of interval recording on SD mode, though the edge crop with 'dimmed' 4:3 guides is very welcome. The quality of my test recordings hasn't rung the alarm bells yet, but will look at near-horizontals and diagonals tomorrow.

At least the AVIs copy straight over from card to hard disk and will drop into FCP without any issues. Quicker if slightly less finessed workflow for shoots where clients want 'easy' SD on disk.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Well i can see that black being a problem on the one, the other one i dont see where it would be a "problem" for me, just looks like the usual color noise.
i call that fixed close enough for me.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt,of images shown as EX1R not fully solved the problem IR
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Major Player

OT but ....
In the summer i was looking at my gloss black woven pool cover and at certain angles i could see the black/brown sheen thru my naked eyes.
Interesting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds