Problems with log and transfer on an imac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with log and transfer on an imac

Using FCP Log & Transfer on a new iMac. I use it without problems all the time on my Mac Pro tower and two different mac pro laptops.

Here's the message:

Warning: contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

I get this message when I try to open any of the many xdcam ex BPAV sub-folders on the drive. I tried opening one of the BPAV folders directly from a card and get the same message.

Now, I can open any of these in clip browser or the xdcam transfer program, or by opening the "import" xdcam transfer program (although that won't load the thumbnails). I can use the "import" xdcam transfer to get clips in if necessary.

This is on a new iMac, running OS X 10.6.2, FCP 7. I think I have the latest versions of log & transfer and such.

And an additional note - the exact same drive works normally with my mac pro tower or laptops, so it is something specific to the imac and/or software.

Thanks for in help, in advance.

Best,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Major Player

You verified the XDCAM driver and the FCP plugin for this?

SXS Drivers

Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Shaughan,

That did the trick, thanks very much.

Best,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: Problems with log and transfer on an imac

I just doug up this old thread in search for an answer to my problem, which is similar, except that I try to open a CLP folder recorded with a nanoFlash on a 32GB Transcend 400x CF card. It plays back fine on TV and on the desktop with QTP10, although 7.x.x. is recommended. Just started with an FCP 7.03 upgrade on a new iMac i7, and this is my first try to capture from card (after about 250 Mini DV tape captures).
Problem: upon opening the CLP folder I get the same message than discussed above: CLP contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media. The recording on the nanoFlash was done in XDCAMHD422LGOP100mbps, which is said to be natively acceptable by FCP7.
Despite an exhaustive search on Forum sites I could not come up with an answer.
Any clues?
Any response is gratefully thanked for.

Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Are you running Lion (10.7) OS?
If I remember that was the message I got when trying to use Log & Transfer with XDCAM EX material with Lion and FCP7 - the plugin for XDCAM EX is not compatible with Lion.

I had to import the clips using Sonys Clip Browser (or was it the other Sony clip software app - can't remember and I'm not at my computer and the little grey cells don't work like they use to Damn those birthdays...)
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No, Kevin, I received the new iMac with Snow Leopard installed, but QT10. Ido XDCAM422 via HDMI on the nanoFlash (CF card). I'll continue to play the detective, but if someone has a clue, it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gerd
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I now have managed to mount clips in the L&T window of FCP7 (CF card with m2t files shot with the HVR-MRC1 on a Z7), after downloading a plug-in from Sony. But now I still get the message: 'PREVIEW UNSUPPORTED FOR THIS FORMAT'. That's still unacceptable, as I have to fish out the good bits from the sometimes extensive (Wildlife) clips.
Any clues from anyone who experienced the same problem are greatly appreciated.

Gerd
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Are you recording on the NanoFlash to .MOV files or to .MXF files?

Since you say that FCP should read the files natively, I'm assuming that the NanoFlash is recording to .MOV files. Going on that assumption, if the computer is having trouble with the file format, my guess would be that the FCP codec for XDcam footage in MOV files is not installed properly. Have you checked / re-installed FCP?
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,
No, I tried to transfer from the MRC1 unit (Z7/HDV). As the tapes were no problem, I thought it would be the same with CF cards. Clips mount in the transfer window, but viewing is not possible with .m2t format. The remedy would be 'ClipWrap', as I found out, but in this case I continue to shoot tape as a backup.
For the NanoFlash footage I use the Nexto (.MOV files)

Thank you for your response.

Cheers,
Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds