WEIRD PROBLEM, Lines in first secs of clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

WEIRD PROBLEM, Lines in first secs of clips

So I have an issue. This doesn't occur in all my clips, mainly ones with low-ish light. The first few seconds of my clip will have banding or horizontal lines, then it just goes away. Doesn't happen all the time, and rarely if ever in bright sunlight. Anyone seen anything like this or experienced it?

HELP!!!!!

**Looking into problem, not as prevalent when I export, but you can see some flickering on the Styrofoam containers. Definately there, in FCP and in a lot of clips
Attached Files
File Type: mov EX1 clip.mov (2.19 MB, 183 views)
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Trustee

It looks like noise to me, what Gain setting was used for this shot?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Gain was 0. Again, first 5 seconds of clip then it goes away. Can't figure it out.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Trustee

I can't tell what I'm looking at here because its in some kind of step motion. What did you export here - how many frames - did you duplicate frames or something?

I do see something that looks like compression artifacting. What codec are you using? what is your sequence setting?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Not sure what you are talking about. not step motion. Your computer perhaps. Here is another clip you can see the flickering at the beginning of the clip and then it goes away.]

Not a lighting hertz/shutter speed issue, as it happens outdoors as well.
Attached Files
File Type: mov EX1 clip.mov (6.97 MB, 138 views)
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Certainly looks light lighting flicker, it's clearly visible on the wall, illuminated by the fluorescent lights but there is no flicker where sunlight is coming through the window. Looks like you might have been is Asia where the mains frequency is often 50Hz, it's only North America, parts of South America, South Korea and the Philippines that use 60Hz. We need more details of what you are doing. Auto/Manual, shutter speed, frame rate, country your shooting in, how your editing.

One thing to check, have you turned OFF flicker reduce in the menu, this can cause issues.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, I was in the philippines. Shots here in the US do the same thing. Again, it only happens for the first 5 secs or so, then, in the same lighting condition, it goes away. Shoot 1080/30p, manual everything, shutter 1/60. Clip I posted was in the philippines, however the first clip was outside under natural light, so that Hz theory is out. Thoughts?

Alister, I checked my flicker reducer setting and it was on "Auto / 50Hz" - that could sound like the issue. I certainly never changed that, it must have come that way. I will check my next round of clips. THANKS in advance, that certainly sounds like that could be it, the camera compensating and then figuring it out after a few seconds. WOuld you advise everyone to turn that off? Sounds like we all should...
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Annen James
thanks so much for testing that for me :-)
AUTO? sounds dangerous, so i had turned mine off,but i so wondered what would happen.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Never even realized it was there, really. Here is another clip example.
Attached Files
File Type: mov EX1 flicker.mov (15.33 MB, 144 views)
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #10
Major Player

You have cache record enabled?
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

This issue has been around since the first EX1 came out. I remember seeing this in my own EX1 as early as Jan. 2008. I solved it by turning the Flicker Reduce to "On" instead of "Auto" and making sure it was set to 60HZ because I live in North America. Sometimes it would still flicker for the first few seconds (even outside) so I ended up turning it off.

I've also heard reports that the lens OIS (optical image stabilization) sometimes contributes to the phenomenon but I can't confirm this.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Camera settings for Flicker Reduce

Thanks for posting this conversation. I just checked my EX3 and it was set to "Auto" and "50Hz" !! I too experienced the flickering for the first few seconds on some clips and assumed it was florescent flicker as we have florescent fixtures throughout the school. It would only be for the first few seconds and then would disappear. Thanks for pointing out this issue as I am always learning new elements about the EX3.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds