EX1 and Redrock Mattebox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 and Redrock Mattebox

Hi there,

On the verge of buying the Redrock Micro Mattebox for the EX1 (after much deliberation!)

Apparently, the Redrock had a slight problem fitting the EX1 due to clashing with the onboard mic or the LCD. I heard there was an extra piece of kit needed as a workaround for this. Just wondered if any of you guys know if Redrock have now sorted this problem as they were supposed to be working on a solution.

Also, anybody got any suggestions for must have filters and recommended makes?

Much thanks as ever!
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I didn't have a problem with the last EX1 and current RRMB I used. This was about 4-5 months ago it was purchased. You must flip out the LCD, but that is not a real problem IMO, I always use the LCD anyway.

You will have to slide the mattebox pretty much as far back as it will go to avoid vignetting but it can be done.

I absolutely love that matte box, it is really nicely built and a superb value. The 4x5.65 filters are not cheap. I bought the set from Redrock and they worked nicely. Certainly they dont make them, but I don't know who does. Perhaps Tiffen? Those filters from RR were a good price for what you get.

With that filter kit I think it is a ND grad, which is great but you might want some others with other densities than the .6 soft grad. I would budget for one of the Tiffen T1R filters or the Schnieder 750IR, a few hundred for the 4x5.65 version. Maybe an Enhancing Filter if you shoot foliage. Colored Grads are very subjective, some I like, some are hideous. If it is about shooting interviews, maybe a one of the Pro Mist filters or something like that.

I also used the Schneider Digicon 1 filter with the EX1 but would not recommend it unless you really want to spend time making custom picture profiles and have access to something like the ChromaDumonde target and a good monitor.

You can't go wrong with that matte box, but I also used the Chrosziel Sunshade from 16x9inc and that would be a better filter holder than the RedRock for purely handheld work. But the Chrosziel is flimsy by comparison (even though it costs more) and only holds 4x4 filters. You will not be running around like a nut with a RR Micro Mattebox on your EX1, the thing is huge and heavy.
Cris Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Red Rock mattebox ...

I also have one of these for my ex3 ... love it. It does not have vertical adjustment, so, if you are planning to use a 35mm lens adapter, you'll need to take that into consideration. It's a very good piece of kit.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Darren,

I was in a similar position a year ago. Eventually I chose the Genus Mattebox from True Lens Services for my EX-1 and I haven't regretted it. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles as the RR but it's much smaller and lighter. With a little camera like the EX-1, that's important. I leave it on all the time.

The Genus fits even with the LCD closed and was much cheaper too (a year ago) when you consider the exchange rate (TLS are UK-based). I'd recommend the Tiffen T1 4x4
Schneider Optics Circular 4x4 Polariser (not the Linear)
Schneider Optics 4x4 Black Frost.

I hope this helps.
Paul Kousoulides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

EX3 and Redrock Micro Mattebox with Zacuto Gear

This year I bought a RRMB which I use with my EX3 and Zacuto's universal base plate and rail kit. The only challenge I noticed was the mic on the camera sticks out far enough that it is a tight fit to have the RRMB back far enough, but it does work. The Zacuto base plate allows me to adjust the camera to the RRMB both vertically and horizontally. So far so good. I couldn't afford the filtre kit this year, but will next fiscal year (in July). I appreciate hearing your comments about the filtres as I haven't had much experience with filtres other than through photography using NDs and Polarizers. I love the RRMB as it is well built and good value for the money. The Zacuto kit is great as well; very good quality, albeit expensive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds