whats a good video camera monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

whats a good video camera monitor

I am also in the market to get a monitor to attach to my tripod to use with my Sony PMWEX1R. I would like to get one, to at least match the resolution (if not better) the the cameras LCD. I want it so I can frame my shot and to see my focus better while my camera is mounted to my tripod. Looking to spend Between $600 and $900 dollars. I would like to find one with a peaking function on it. Does anybody have any suggestions.
Michael Armao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Marshall LCD70XP. I got the SDI version and am very glad I did. I attach it to my tripod with a Manfrotto Super clamp and 6" IKAN articulating arm. Not only does the Marshall have focus assist with peaking, but it also has 1:1 display. It totally revolutionized how I do focus. And if that weren't enough, there's also Exposure assist with False colors with the color scale right on the monitor. There's also a freeze frame function. It is a very well made device and I recommend it highly. It's worth saving longer past your $900 budget.

Marshall Monitor:
Marshall V-LCD70XP-3GSDI-SB 7" LCD V-LCD70XP-3GSDI-SB - B&H

IKAN arm:
Ikan MA206 6" Articulating Arm MA206 - B&H Photo Video

You can see the rig I described in post #10 here or read the thread on why SDI over HDMI:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-vid...over-hdmi.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

les funny that you mention that unit. that is the exact unit I wanted to get. do u have a remote focus button or do u focus from the camera
Michael Armao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I also have the Marshall and have found it to be an excellent product and the special features are great.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I focus using the lens ring. The IR remote AF button works too. Also, Paul Joy did a nice review of the monitor:
Choosing an HDMI monitor – Marshall vs SmallHD | Paul Joy
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Small HD monitor ...

deleted this after reading the review!
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

SmallHD

I like the SmallHD. It is an excellent monitor with sunshade (DPx1) and has an excellent warranty. The staff couldn't be nicer and any more accommodating.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm with Phil. Additionally, their new DP6 is even better and incorporated a lot of feedback and experience the SmallHD team gathered while fielding the DP1x.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I would like to see the Marshall compared to my DP1x. Some advantages I see for the Marshall are
1. HDSDI with loop through. I am afraid the hdmi for my Small hd will get tweaked and be a costly repair on my camera
2. uses same battery as my EX1R plus 4 pin powering
3. the peaking and false color features could be worth a look but I doubt I would use them
Cons
1. smaller size
2. lower resolution
I would be curious to know how long the Marshall would run on a BP U60 battery and I doubt the construction is as sturdy, but I'm starting to think that my DP1x is better suited to the hdslr crowd and may put it on the auction block soon.
Does the Marshall truly do loop thru? They show it on the rear panel photo but say sdi input only on the specs page.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The peaking and false color are very useful and once you set up the control buttons to be a one button (not use the menus) it is of great value. The peaking works much better than the peaking built into my ex3 and false color works great in setting the iris. For me those features are very useful.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I don't know where the DP1 is made but the Marshalls are designed and manufactured in El Segundo California (if that matters to you).

The Marshall connectors are loop through

The Marshall has a $20 kit that adds 1/4-20 connections on the sides and top so it is versatile in terms of other mounts that occasionally are needed.

The False Colors are a great way to judge exposure.

The 1:1 feature works on the Marshall like Expanded Focus does for the LCD.

With the 4 programmable buttons, setting up a shot becomes easy as
1) Peaking to check focus
2) 1:1 to double check it
3) False Colors to dial in exposure
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I don't know where the DP1 is made but the Marshalls are designed and manufactured in El Segundo California (if that matters to you).

The Marshall connectors are loop through

The Marshall has a $20 kit that adds 1/4-20 connections on the sides and top so it is versatile in terms of other mounts that occasionally are needed.

The False Colors are a great way to judge exposure.

The 1:1 feature works on the Marshall like Expanded Focus does for the LCD.

With the 4 programmable buttons, setting up a shot becomes easy as
1) Peaking to check focus
2) 1:1 to double check it
3) False Colors to dial in exposure
These qualities are very good indeed. My Ikan monitor does not have these elements ... does have blue gun ... is 800X400 resolution ... S-video, BNC/RCA, connections and has been good up to this point. I've been using it for several years and it's definitely time to get something better ... something with HD/SDI out and in! I'll just wait and see what SM-HD does with a new offering as the resolution is better on that monitor. The DP1x has been discontinued, so, something else may be coming in the 7/8" form-factor. Do love what Marshall has done though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds