New Browser and 1.15 for EX1R trouble at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Major Player

New Browser and 1.15 for EX1R trouble

Hi

MAC PRO - So does the SONY XDcam Browser software 1.0 now replace and make irrelevant the SONY XDcam Clip Browser 2.6?

And has any one had trouble updating to EX1R v 1.15 from 1.1? Tried but I can only get it to say no file found...

And is 2.11 XDcam Transfer the latest?

KB
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm having the same issue with the v1.15 update for EX1R from v1.10. Version File not found message keeps coming up.
Victor Matos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There are LOTS of people reporting problems with the Firmware 1.15 upgrade on other forums - I don't know from personal experience though (as I'm a EX3 owner, on it's original 2008 firmware ....and working just fine).

I've read somewhere that the new Sony Browser software is (at least eventually) meant to replace both the Transfer and Clip Browser packages with one "all encompassing" utility.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Anyone have a solution for the 1.15 problem? And can we now just use that new Browser software to export into FCP?
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Read in another post (cant remember if it was this forum) that the firmware on the sony site is for chinese versions. The guy got an alternate URL from sony:

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/PMW-...5_1831-SxS.zip

I tried it and it worked for me. It takes quite some time (15 to 20 minutes!) so get an fully charged battery or run on AC power! Instructions (pdf) are in the zip file.
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks greatly - it worked...now I wonder still if the new Browser is meant to replace both XDcam transfer and Clip browser?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Vortex Media

New XDCAM Browser for FCP

Kent, I have some information on my website that you may be interested in reading.

http://www.vortexmedia.com/XDCAM_UPDATES.html
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Doug,
Thanks for making your thoughts and experiences available to us all. I really appreciate it and will be sticking to my regular workflow.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Major Player

XDCAM HD discs

This browser is ideal for people who use the XDCAM Discs and a Mac (or PC). I have not had any way to view the HD material on a mac except for Transfer which uses the proxy files.

The new browser allows me to view material in HD before I import into Avid. I do use Avid and do not have FCP on my mac. I'm sure that there are only a few users who use this configuration, but the new browser software is of great help in my workflow. Maybe Sony should have called it XDCAM HD disc Browser.

Hope they make it a more usable product for EX card workflow in the future.

BTW, I do use the program as a stand alone program and it is running on an old 2005 Macbook Pro.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Bob,

I have to disagree with your statement about it being good for optical discs. It is anything but ideal for discs if you use FCP. It totally sucks equally for discs and SxS cards. In fact, most of my shooting is on optical discs these days and that's the primary format I've been testing it with.

Maybe it works okay for Avid, I don't know enough about Avid to agree or disagree with you on that point. But for an FCP workflow, whether SxS or optical discs, it is a piece of garbage. I strongly warn FCP users, whether you shoot on discs or SxS cards, not to waste your time with it. And I highly doubt any FCP user is going to get XDCAM Browser to ingest/convert MOV files a 2005 MacBook Pro because you must be able to run the latest version of FCP at the same time. Is that even an Intel machine?

Last edited by Doug Jensen; November 23rd, 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Clarify the limitations on older machines
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

After reading all this I downloaded the (still available) previous versions of the XDCAM Transfer (Version 2.12) and the separate XDCAM EX Clip Browser (Version 2.6) from the EU Sony site and burnt them to disc for safe keeping, just in case.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/content/id...=1205831217039

I already have then on both my MBP and Mac Pro (and backed up elsewhere etc.) but I don't want to be left "exposed" should Sony pull availability of these older, individual applications (and I need to do a clean install of one of my Macs at some time in the future).
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Bob,

I have to disagree with your statement about it being good for optical discs. It is anything but ideal for discs if you use FCP. It totally sucks equally for discs and SxS cards. In fact, most of my shooting is on optical discs these days and that's the primary format I've been testing it with.

Maybe it works okay for Avid, I don't know enough about Avid to agree or disagree with you on that point. But for an FCP workflow, whether SxS or optical discs, it is a piece of garbage. I strongly warn FCP users, whether you shoot on discs or SxS cards, not to waste your time with it. And I highly doubt any FCP user is going to get XDCAM Browser to work on a 2005 MacBook Pro because you must be able to run the latest version of FCP at the same time. Is that even an Intel machine?
Yes, it is an Intel machine. And I believe I stated that I only use Avid, so I have no opinion of how it works for FCP workflow. Just letting people know that it works for me because Sony had no browser that would work on a mac if you only used Avid. So, it works fine for discs for my workflow with Avid.

Best,
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:12 PM   #13
Vortex Media

Hi Bob,
I understand what you were trying to say, but because of the way your first sentence was worded I just felt it was necessary to clarify that MY complaints about the software apply equally to both optical disc and SxS workflows with Final Cut Pro.
I think I have beat everyone over the head enough with that by now. :-)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
After reading all this I downloaded the (still available) previous versions of the XDCAM Transfer (Version 2.12) and the separate XDCAM EX Clip Browser (Version 2.6) from the EU Sony site and burnt them to disc for safe keeping, just in case.
Great idea. I've done the same thing.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM   #15
Major Player

what a mess sony!!!

how would this screw things up if you do not have fcp on your laptop?

What would this mean to the freelancer shooting for a variety of different producers using different systems?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds