Matte Box recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matte Box recommendation

Hi all,

I'm looking for matte box recommendations.

I know most people go for ones that fit on rails, but we need to be as light as possible, so we're looking for a clip on mattebox, with a french flag, that takes 4x4 filters.

What have people used and would recommend?

many thanks
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Matte Box recommendation

Genus Matte Box
Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Trustee

I have two Redrock micro boxes with the swing away feature.
They are big and pretty beefy. I don't like that the eyebrow and side flags being unable to truly lock in, but in their price range this was the best value (need rails too).

I don't know the Genus, but I don't see anyplace for filters?

The RRM has two slots.

YMMV
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Genus has 2 filter trays, one fixed and one that rotates.

I would go for the RedRock too if using it on 15mm rails. For a clamp-on/lightweight style the Genus fits the bill.
Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Peter,

You being from the UK should have a look at the matte boxes from True Lens Service. A good number of shooters over the years have spoken highly of their matteboxes.

True Lens Service can be found here: True Lens Services
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Petroff at Zacuto
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi,

I went for the Genus.

We had the Redrock for our EX1. Looked great and is great quality but if you are using it in a run and gun situation forget it! I was so frightened of smashing it against things because it is so big.

The other main problem we found is vignetting. With the EX1 the Redock sits very close to the LCD and makes it impossible to fold it away. This also makes it very hard to align the mattebox perfectly and at full wide we found vignetting.

Just my experience, but the Genus is perfect for the EX1. We got a good deal with a polariser, ND9 and a grad thrown in.

Sold the Redrock!
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Trustee

I agree that the Redrock is big and kinda stupid big. I use it with an EX3 and wide angle adapter, and yes,
it is right at the edge of vignetting, but it doesn't when set perfectly.

The other suggestion may well be much better for all the reasons given.

J
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Major Player

I went with the Arri MMB-1 after putting the guys at Abel Cinetech through hell (sorry Matt). I tried the Chrosziel, but you could NOT close the LCD screen with it mounted. On the Arri, you can open and close it albeit with a bit of scuffing. I went with the model that bottom loads so that I can properly place my ND grad filter properly. The other think I like about the Arri is that I still have full access to my screw-in threads on the EX1 allowing me to use traditional Polarizers instead of having to buy a big square or rectangular one that would only rotate partially due to the overhanging mic issue.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

TLS designed the Genus Matte Boxes, so you will find the TLS and Genus Matte boxes to be very similar. The TLS units are made at TLS's own UK facility and are beautifully crafted, while Genus ones are manufactured in China. Genus have their own QA people in China so the quality is normally very good.

Note that I do have a connection with both TLS and Genus as they are manufacturing the 3D rig I designed.
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #11
New Boot

I'm looking to purchase a Chrosziel matte box for my PMW 200. I have the 15mm light-weight-rod system, but I'm unsure of the matte box diameter I need for my camera. I prefer a fixture other than the flexible stretch ring. What is the proper diameter for secure clamping to the PMW 200 lens?
Joe Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Major Player

ZGC is the go to place for Chrosziel products. They will probably know the diameter of the lens front and be able to give you the ring adapter part number and price over the phone.

The PMW-200 may have the same lens diameter as the EX3 but I don't know. Google wasn't helpful.

I would suggest giving them a call.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds