Buying a used EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Buying a used EX1

First off I should say I've never used this camera. Ideally I'd spring for a PMW 200 but for $$$. If I decide to check it out, I will get a hold of one first so I at least know my way around it a little bit.

This camera comes with two 8 gig SxS cards, 2 U30 batteries as well as a U60. Also an extra charger as well as a Cavision matte box and camera bag. The bag I don't need and I'd probably not make a habit of using the matte box. Seller says its like new with about 40 hours on it. Reason for selling sounds plausible but of course who knows. Anyway, he's asking $3500 firm.

Along with feedback about the price, I'd like input about what to look for. I'm aware that the tripod plate can crack on these cameras and of course I'd look for any physical damage to lens etc. But what else should I look for? Would do a test recording and capture of course.

The other thing is I know I'd want to use an external recorder to bring it up to 50mbps for broadcast purposes. If I went with this I'd probably want to go with the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. Good choice for this camera?

So given this, I am wondering if it simply makes more sense to get a PMW 200 and avoid the hassle of an external recorder and the potential pitfalls of buying used.

Thanks for any input.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Buying a used EX1

The thing about the 200 is that you have to get new drivers for everything UDF. Getting a Hyperdeck all depends on what video editor you work with. For me, I work with Sony Vegas so I need MXF MPEG-2 files, so I got a NanoFlash for that purpose. If you work with Avid or Final Cut, the Hyperdeck is a better option.

Yes, the tripod plate on the EX1 is fragile, so my recommendation is to find a EX1R. You get a higher quality viewfinder, better ergonomics, and a stronger tripod plate.

The thing with the 200 is that 3rd party batteries became incompatible and the front shoe adapter is right on the LCD, meaning you can't open the LCD with a light on it. Analog component is gone from the 200 as well, only HD-Y (which is B&W Analog 1080i) exists through a BNC connector.

IMHO, find a low hours EX1R instead of a 200 and go for the Hyperdeck only if you edit in either Avid or Final Cut. If you edit in something different, for instance Sony Vegas or Edius, might want to consider a NanoFlash instead.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

A couple of things about the EX1. There's an aftermarket base plate that I have put on my EX1 that deals with the weak plate issue. The one thing that I regret about this camera as I would like to relegate it to just covering live events etc., is the fact that you don't have full control of the lens with a Lanc controller. That may not be important to you though. If you want to use an external recorder make sure you test the SDI port to make sure it works properly. All that said it still makes great pictures!

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Major Player

I think an ex1 is a great camera and while the ex1r has some nice improvements it might cost more. The power switches can be dodgy and as it's an internal bit that commonly breaks it's very hard to tell whether it's going to be an issue. The problem manifests as random shutdowns while shooting. The good news is its a pretty cheap and easy fix. Later model ex1s don't have this problem as they changed the switch design.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for all the replies. Most of what you've all had to say I'm aware of. Re FCP 7/Avid, didn't know about that one but thats what I'm on anyway.

I agree about an ex1r over an ex1 although with the higher price of the r plus adding a recorder at that point, I'd probably just go for a 200.

Any other comments on what else to specifically check for on this camera would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The Shuttle is good value for the $$$ for an external recorder. The files it produces are "Direct to edit," meaning you can directly use them in your NLE without re-wrapping and etc. In FCP7 and Avid, you have to re-wrap XDCAM into MXF (for Avid) or MOV (for FCP7). It gets more complicated with the 200, as the UDF and FAT modes are completely different workflow-wise.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Vortex Media

My workflow for FCP7 and Premiere with the PMW-200 is exactly the same for FAT or UDF. Makes no difference to my workflow at all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds