external mic ex1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 9th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Major Player

external mic ex1r

been loving my ex1r on every level.
I think the onboard mic is just ok. Id like to do a small shotgun mic in the holder to get better sound. any suggestions.
I have an AT897 I use for my boom work on short films, but thinks its alittle long for mounting. input welcome on a good sounding mic that will best the oncamera mic in the camera
thx
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: external mic ex1r

My Rode NTG-2 is on my EX1R all the time. Perfect mic for this camcorder.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Size matters. Even using a right angle cable I found the NTG-2 too long and changed to an NTG-1. How far a mic sticks out in the back affects the rotating handle and the ease with which you can grab the top handle and go.

With a deadcat, even the shorter NTG-1 can make it in frame on the standard holder. Worse with the wide angle converter. I replaced the standard holder using a DM Accessory.

So there's a shorter Sony ECM-693 and Shure VP82 all about the same price but I know nothing of how good they are.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Major Player

I'f you're not using an on-camera light I'd recommend getting one of the hotshoe-mount-style shock mounts for the microphone (I use one made by Pearstone, which also has a thread to place it on the end of a boom pole.) It minimizes handling noise coming through the camera body, and also raises the mic enough that there are no 'dead cat whisker' issues at the top of frame. I have both the Rode NTG1 and NTG3. For most running around the NTG1 is fine (and definitely better than the camera mic), but if I need real reach I may use the NTG3, which is longer and heavier but really sounds wonderful.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Jim,

I keep my Rode NTG-3 on the camera pretty much all the time unless I attached a wireless lav set. I use a shock mount (Rode SM5) that extends the mic far enough back and far enough out that it doesn't show up even when using a wide-angle lens. I wrap a couple of rubber bands around it to make it fit snugly inside the camera's mic mount. Just have to check the bands every so offten to make sure they're not about to break. (From looking at the picture, I think it's about time I checked again!)

I also have the NTG-2, but don't use it anymore because the sound is considerably better with the NTG-3. The NTG-2 is still a very, very good mic and much cheaper than the NTG-3. You would be happy with it.

If you decide to get an NTG-2, let me know. I've been thinking about selling mine for quite awhile now. :)

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
external mic ex1r-ex1r_and_ntg3.jpg  
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Just thought that with the SM5 shock mount, you would be able to use your AT897 just fine without a windscreen of any kind because it could be mounted back.

With the dead cat, my NTG-3 is at the limit and, since it's 1" shorter than the AT897, a windscreen would probably show up in your shots.

This setup also allows me to use the mic with a HDV-Z96 light mounted on the front shoe. The dead cat does block a little of the light in one corner no matter what I do -- probably not noticeable unless shooting a solid, continuous background -- but when shooting with the light, I'm likely indoors and the dead cat can come off allowing the mic to be mounted back so as not to be visible.
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Its important for me mainly for wedding receptions. with the loud music and all, I just need to make sure I get good audio
other jobs im usually using a wireless or boom mic
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Without a deadcat, the NTG-1 is just fine on the stock EX1R mic holder. The NTG-2 is another 2" longer to hold the battery which you don't need on an EX1r.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
Its important for me mainly for wedding receptions. with the loud music and all, I just need to make sure I get good audio
other jobs im usually using a wireless or boom mic
Then it sounds like you'd be okay with your AT897. The Rode shock mount (SM5) I mentioned before will help a lot and will allow you to pull it back as far as necessary.

Since you're original question was about getting the best oncamera mic, though, I still think you're not going to beat the NTG-3 without paying a LOT more, but the NTG-2 isn't far behind for a lot less money.
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Major Player

so its safe to say, the audio quality will be better with either the ntg2or the at897 over the oncamera mic
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I can speak fort the NTG1, yes, you'll get less off axis sound.
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
so its safe to say, the audio quality will be better with either the ntg2or the at897 over the oncamera mic
It'll be a BIG jump in quality.
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #13
New Boot

I know it's a bump in price, but I'm very happy with the Sennheiser MKE600 which comes with a small coldshoe mount, but I've got it in a Pearstone coldshoe shockmount which I mildly adapted.
Ken Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #14
New Boot

I use an AT4029 with my EX1, and I am extremely happy with it in terms of the beautiful stereo sound. But on the other hand, I am extremely unhappy with it's sensibility to wind noise. Even the slighest summer breeze produces annoying noise. If I don't use a Rycote blimp (!!!), I can't use the sound.
What about your AT897, Jim?

Best
Ulf
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Major Player

I love the at897, have only used it as a boom mic for a film but will be trying it on my ex1r at a dance performance.hopefully better than my camera mic
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds