DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   XDCAM EX possibly at $6k (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/102588-xdcam-ex-possibly-6k.html)

Jason Strongfield August 31st, 2007 07:02 PM

XDCAM EX possibly at $6k
 
- Taken from freshdv -

The long-awaited Sony XDCAM EX officially launches on Thursday the 6th at IBC in Amsterdam, and we’ll (hopefully) get a closer look at some real, detailed specs. In the meantime, here are the details we’ve been able to glean on this very interesting camcorder.

Full story at http://www.freshdv.com/2007/08/sony-...nch-specs.html

Note from Admin: please don't cut & paste entire blog entries from other sites; just provide a blurb and a link. Thanks in advance -- CH

Mark Kenfield September 1st, 2007 02:38 AM

If it comes out a USD$6,000 (though I'd prefer AUD!) that will seal it for me I think. I'm still not wrapped about Long GOP encoding, but 1/2" sensors (assuming their 'that' much more light sensitive than 1/3" sensors) coupled with 'affordable' solid-state recording should do it for me.

Please Sony, let it be $6,000.

Greg Boston September 1st, 2007 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield (Post 737796)
I'm still not wrapped about Long GOP encoding, but 1/2" sensors (assuming their 'that' much more light sensitive than 1/3" sensors) coupled with 'affordable' solid-state recording should do it for me.

Don't worry about the long GOP encoding. There are different capabilities from one encoder to the next, and the Sony XDCAM MPEG encoding is very good.

-gb-

Jason Strongfield September 1st, 2007 07:15 AM

Sony should provide free 16 gig card with the xdcam ex. That would seal the deal.

Bob Grant September 1st, 2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield (Post 737796)
If it comes out a USD$6,000 (though I'd prefer AUD!) that will seal it for me I think. I'm still not wrapped about Long GOP encoding, but 1/2" sensors (assuming their 'that' much more light sensitive than 1/3" sensors) coupled with 'affordable' solid-state recording should do it for me.

Please Sony, let it be $6,000.

If you're that worried about the long GOP you could connect it to the Convergent Designs Flash XDR gizmo via HD SDI. Well OK, this thing also records using HDV / XDCAM log GOP however it can do it at 50Mb/sec and in 4:2:2. Obviously you'll be filling up CF cards pretty quick but for studio shoots that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
The unit will not be cheap at around $5K however to buy a camera that records at that sampling etc is going to cost way, way more than an EX + XDR.

Gabe Strong September 1st, 2007 10:42 AM

On one of my earlier posts, I had some rumors and other stuff I heard about the XDCAM EX. It was rightly moved to the area 51 section. Anyways,, one of the things that I heard was that the camera WOULD COST $6000! Not $8000 but $6000. This was one thing the source was quite clear about. So I think that will be the price.

Matt Jeppsen September 1st, 2007 03:43 PM

Legit?
 
Does anyone know if Juan Martinez really is a "Senior Manager" at Sony? A guy claiming to be him left a comment at the FreshDV post saying of my features speculation "...some are correct but many are not accurate… for the most time they fall short!" You know, I don't mind being wrong when that is the case... :-)

Greg Boston September 1st, 2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Jeppsen (Post 737997)
Does anyone know if Juan Martinez really is a "Senior Manager" at Sony? A guy claiming to be him left a comment at the FreshDV post saying of my features speculation "...some are correct but many are not accurate… for the most time they fall short!" You know, I don't mind being wrong when that is the case... :-)

NDA's are still in effect. Anyone that knows for sure, can't say.

-gb-

Tom Roper September 1st, 2007 11:09 PM

FreshDv picks up the $6,000 price point rumor from Area 51 at DVInfo, and then this thread uses that for a fresh rumor. C'mon guys, you can do better.

Alister Chapman September 2nd, 2007 02:39 AM

The prices have been set by Sony but even the dealers have not be told yet. Sony are keeping everything under very tight wraps until IBC. All those that know anything have been made to sign strict NDA's as Greg has said. What you can be assured of is a flood of information including reviews, frame grabs, clips, price points and tech specs on Thursday from both Sony and those that have actually used the camera in anger.

Mark Hartopp September 5th, 2007 09:21 AM

First Price
 
Just Googled "Sony PMW-EX1" and got this

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=S...oogle&ct=title

Could this be the first offical price??? £3,995 Hmmm. I know my credit card is getting nervous.. I'll wait till I'm back from the IBC event to buy.. See you all there guys & girls..

Theodore McNeil September 5th, 2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hartopp (Post 739567)
Just Googled "Sony PMW-EX1" and got this

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=S...oogle&ct=title

Could this be the first offical price??? £3,995 Hmmm. I know my credit card is getting nervous..

But if you read the product description, it says...

"Pricing is not confirmed, but expect a list price of around £5,000+VAT in the UK."

Aidan Wynne September 5th, 2007 05:58 PM

What Time is the Launch???

Irish english time please and where is the best place to get the Specs???

I suppose here cause you hungry wolves will devour all the Techno specs as they are thrown at us.

Will be back tomorrow night so for the full whack.

Vaughan Wood September 5th, 2007 06:30 PM

Thursday 6 September


10:00 Evertz Hotel Krasnapolsky
11:00 Osmosys Room T, RAI
12:00 Sony Hotel Kraznapolsky
15:30 Grass Valley Venue tbc
18:00 Harris Venue tbc
18:45 Omneon Escape deLux (transport from Harris event)


This is the press conference time schedule taken off the IBC site.

Which means over here in Aussie land we'll have to wait to the 7th to get the news from the 6th! (Sigh....!!!!).

Cheers Vaughan

Matt Jeppsen September 6th, 2007 03:43 AM

Australian product brochure in the wild
 
Official specs are out.

My questions are...
*Where is LANC? (divers are gonna be upset)
*SD Downconvert option when outputting over iLink?
*What in the blue blazes is a "1/2 inch type" sensor? Is it 1/2" or not? Why the "type" designation?
*Does Expanded Focus work while you are recording? (i.e, when it actually might be useful)?

I love the inclusion of the Depth-of-field Indicator, Spot Meter, and Histogram. And adjustable shutter angles + 4 CINE Gamma modes = Nice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network