DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/102972-remote-lens-control-pdw-ex1.html)

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 09:12 AM

Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1

1 Attachment(s)
Many thanks to Tim Polster for pointing this out.

This is a screen cap from the EX1 camera rotation located at:
http://assets.sonybiz.net/Flash/XDCA..._ex/index.html

See attached photo (click to see it big).

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 09:50 AM

By the way that is NOT the standard 8-pin connector commonly used for Fujinon broadcast video lenses.

Guy Barwood September 6th, 2007 10:02 AM

Personally I think the image is too dark and low res to make that call just yet.

I will agree though that this connection does not seem to stick out of the chassis like the 8pins connectors stick out of lens.

Tim Polster September 6th, 2007 10:11 AM

Upon looking at a fuji lens I have, I believe Chris is correct, this is not a normal 8 pin connection.

The connector on my fuji lens here has 7 holes in a circle with one hole in the center.

The photo of the XDCAM EX has 8 holes in a circle.

Guy Barwood September 6th, 2007 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your right, this puts the nail in the coffin it is a standard 8 pin connector.

On ya Sony, Not 8 pin or standard LANC..

Peter Jefferson September 6th, 2007 10:15 AM

I wouldn't worry... they wouldn't go this route if it didn't add something of benefit to the existing grand scheme of remotes.

Alister Chapman September 6th, 2007 10:22 AM

It controls Zoom and start/stop. No option for remote focus as yet.

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Barwood (Post 740207)
Personally I think the image is too dark and low res to make that call just yet.

Then try this one.

I think I'm counting eight pins, but I still don't believe it's the standard 8-pin connector found on all Fujinon and Canon broadcast video lenses (almost all; Fuji used a 12-pin connector for awhile). For one thing, the standard 8-pin connector screws on, and I don't see any threads here. It looks like a simple friction push jack. We'll know more pretty soon of course, but my bet is that this is a proprietary connector.

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 10:25 AM

Oops, I missed several replies above... ultimately, proprietary or not, I'm just glad it's there!

Guy Barwood September 6th, 2007 10:54 AM

Especially if it lists at the rumoured $6k. They most will have a virtual $2K to buy accessories like batteries, WA lens adaptors and zoom controllers ;-)

Piotr Wozniacki September 6th, 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 740227)
Oops, I missed several replies above... ultimately, proprietary or not, I'm just glad it's there!

If it's proprietary, it may as well be for some new "concentrator" dongle by Sony, allowing connection of a lanc and/or the Fujinon zoom controller...

I'm dreaming:)

Stu Holmes September 6th, 2007 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a better shot of the remote socket :

Stephen Armour September 22nd, 2007 12:41 PM

Let's hope for a dongle we can adapt for using our existing Fujinon zoom lense controllers....

Piotr Wozniacki September 22nd, 2007 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Armour (Post 748457)
Let's hope for a dongle we can adapt for using our existing Fujinon zoom lense controllers....

This is certainly viable - this pic (courtesy of BEIKS, the biggest Polish pro video reseller) from IBC shows it exactly. Look how big is the thingy, connecting the adaptor with standard 8-pin Fujinon zoom controller!

Simon Wyndham September 23rd, 2007 02:34 PM

The Libec controllers, for example, will work with it, and apparently they will supply an adaptor. The issue isn't very complicated, apparently.