Best microphone for PMW-EX1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #31
Tourist

The Røde nt4

I use the Røde Nt4 for concerts on the ex1 (with a shockmount) it is an instant XY. Goes for cheap online (Like $450) and sounds wonderful. Really captures the room and the music.

It can really handle the high Db/spl of a music venue without distortion. The capsules sound AMAZING and it can run off of an internal 9V battery or +48.

My .02
-Josh
Joshua Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #32
Major Player

Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Shin View Post
Dear sir,

Maybe microphone performance on particular camera in review differs because other audio capabilities Sony provided, also, balance perhaps with handhold? EX is not simple operating camera for handhold shooting. Different long or short microphone size maybe gives or looses shooting balance?

With respect,
I'll concede that the ability of the EX1 to record uncompressed PCM (16 bits) is a a good reason to re-think the sound you capture. Aside from that, get the best one you can for the job in hand. Schoeps would be my choice, followed by Sanken. I think the original poster went for a Neumann mic which is anything but compact. Perhaps balance was not his concern.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
I tried an ME66 for comparison and it was rock solid.

- Don
We did another test yesterday down at the broadcast supply house I deal with and the Senn ME66 exhibited the exact same symptoms as my Audio Technica mic, so it's a camera issue and not a mic issue. Their suggestion is to advise Sony and take it in for testing and repair.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #34
Regular Crew

How are you all mounting them

Is anyone putting these mics into the on-camera mic mount? I saw one picture of someone who removed the camera mount and bolted on their own shock mount. Are you mounting them on the top? I guess some fit the camera mount and some don't. Any comments?
Chip Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #35
Regular Crew

My supplier recommended a Sennheiser K6/ME66. I'm more than happy with the sound quality but initially it arrived without any kind of PMW-EX1 adapter and was so loose it was unusable on the camera. They then supplied a plastic ring that goes between the mic and the Sony mount and makes it rock solid when camera mounted.

However with the wind shield on I've got caught out several times when using the PMW-EX1 at its wider settings - the wind shield shows up in the top right hand corner of the frame. The whole thing feels like one heck of a kludge to be honest.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I'm using this on my EX.

The picture entitled "ksm3.jpg" is the model I actually have. The picture "kbwc8.jpg" shows the screw on adapter that mounts in the stock camera mic holder, which I'm also using.

http://www.mklemme.com/

- Don
Attached Thumbnails
Best microphone for PMW-EX1?-ksm3.jpg   Best microphone for PMW-EX1?-kbwc8.jpg  

Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Curry View Post
Is anyone putting these mics into the on-camera mic mount? I saw one picture of someone who removed the camera mount and bolted on their own shock mount. Are you mounting them on the top? I guess some fit the camera mount and some don't. Any comments?
The standard mic mount breaks way too easy.
I've made my own:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....80&postcount=6

When I get some time I'm making a number of the brackets and I'll get them black anodised.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds