Best microphone for PMW-EX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
I'm curious what the advantage would be to a stereo shotgun? It would seem to be at cross-purposes to itself, in that a shotgun is supposed to be focused in a single direction and yet it somehow would also have to provide enough separation between the channels to sound different than a mono mic on two channels. Where would you use something like that?

Because these kinds of mics are superior in Narrow / Mono. They use a phased array of capsules and give superior side rejection. This is important if you use the same mic indoors, more so in small rooms. You can buy a similar mic that's mono only such as the Sanken CS3.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Best microphone

Yes, why?

The microphone Neumann KMR-81iMT, is expensive for this kamera, i now.
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #18
Tourist

Microphone for PMW-EX1

Take a look at the Sanken CMS-10 stereo shotgun. I reviewed it a long time ago for Michigan Vue magazine, and was getting usable dialog 6 feet from the microphone outdoors. Its shockmount was made to fit in the camera mount, and all you need is a Lightwave windscreen to finish the package. Remember, the EX1 is one of only 2 cameras in this form factor that have real PCM audio...take advantage of it. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.
Gary Pillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Pillon View Post
Remember, the EX1 is one of only 2 cameras in this form factor that have real PCM audio...take advantage of it.
Very true, but my personal plan is to take advantage of the uncompressed hi-fi audio of the EX1 only when it's really worth it, e.g. for shooting music performances of which I'm planning quite a few. But for this, I'm gonna either use decent a pair of high-end mono mics in the X-Y configuration, or "borrow" the ready mixed sound from a sound crew via the line inputs.

For run&gun situations with on-camera mic, the on-boad stereo or a decent (not necessarily top class) mono shutgun, plus of course the wireless, are more appropriate IMHO. I wouldn't feel safe using a shutgun worth the price of another camera in scenarios like this. A sticking out shotgun is probably the most damage-prone component of the setup...Not to mention the fact it could be stolen easily when unattended.

BTW I'd appreciate a recommendation on the best mirophone(s) to use for recording stereo music in the X-Y config... Bob? :)

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; November 17th, 2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typos, damn my sticking keyboard!
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #20
New Boot

Schoeps alternative

I suggest folks look at this other alternative:

Schoeps CMIT5U Professional Condenser Shotgun
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

Terrific mic, especially in windy and other noisy conditions often dealt with in documentary production. Google the reviews.

One negative is that it attracts too much attention as some sort of Darth Vader sword lookalike.

L
Luis Figueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

We recently purchased the Sanken CS-1. I have used it when shooting with our 900R and have no reason to believe it wouldn't make a great nat. mic for smaller cameras as well. At just over 7" in length, it is compact and sits on a camera very nicely. Also, when indoors I will pop it off the camera and onto a boom pole for intervews. Our editors love the performance of this mic., especially when you consider the price, just 795.00 with shock mount.
Dave Nystul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #22
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nystul View Post
We recently purchased the Sanken CS-1. I have used it when shooting with our 900R and have no reason to believe it wouldn't make a great nat. mic for smaller cameras as well. At just over 7" in length, it is compact and sits on a camera very nicely. Also, when indoors I will pop it off the camera and onto a boom pole for intervews. Our editors love the performance of this mic., especially when you consider the price, just 795.00 with shock mount.
Yes, this is an excellent mic for this camera. Also, for someone looking for a less expensive alternative, Audio Technica has a new short shutgun out. Model AT875R is 6.9" long, has phantom power and lists for only $259 ($199 at BH).

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I have had great audio from my Audio Technica 897 on my Sony Z1 and Canon A1. I think I will give it a go on the EX1 when it arrives.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #24
New Boot

My ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
I don't understand how your choice of camera affects what microphone you want to buy. Please explain.

Justin.
Dear sir,

Maybe microphone performance on particular camera in review differs because other audio capabilities Sony provided, also, balance perhaps with handhold? EX is not simple operating camera for handhold shooting. Different long or short microphone size maybe gives or looses shooting balance?

With respect,
Zan Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #25
Major Player

If you are serious about sound don't even think of the internal mic. All internal mics whatever the make of camera are useless for anything other than background actuality. THe EX1 deserves a good mic to get the best out of it.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #26
Major Player

If you test it, you will also see the internal mic picks up a lot of noise. I was surprised just how noisy it is. You do not have to pay a fortune for a reasonable mic. I got the $300 AT897 Kit - Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone. I keep it on one channel and the internal on the other for background/ambiance/backup.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Whatever you do don't buy the Audio Technica AT4073A mic for the EX1. I did and have had nothing but problems with this combo. The official word from Sony is that there are serious grounding issues between this particular AT model and the EX1. Of course I can't return it now because my broadcast supplier says that it's an EX1 problem and not the fault of the mic.

Be aware that this issue is restricted the the AT4073A model ONLY and not the entire Audio Technica line of shotguns. Other mics work fine on the EX1 and the AT4073A mic works fine on other cameras. It's actually an awsome mic for the money. Guess I'll use it on my PD170 from now on.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Keep in mind that Sony offers rebates on its shotgun Mics if you buy one within 30 days of buying the EX1.

I bought the ECM-680s and got a $150 rebate. It's a great stereo shotgun (if one misses the internal stereo mic) which has a mono switch as well with very good side rejection. You'd need a 5 pin to 3 pin XLR adaptor for it though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #29
New Boot

Another take on the the AT4073A

I use the Audio Technica AT4073A with the EX1 and love it...No problems with grounding.
Alex Kanakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback Alex. I'll be sure to mention this when I talk to my EX1 supplier on Tuesday. I'm getting a crackling, static-type problem even when I wiggle the XLR cable between the mic and camera. Trying a different cable didn't solve it. Adjusting the EX's mic sensitivity setting didn't change anything either. And of course the recorded audio has a certain amount of static noise but it's not consistent.

I tried an ME66 for comparison and it was rock solid.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds