EX1 shortages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 shortages

Tried to Order the Ex1 today from a UK dealer and was told Sony had told them that they would not be getting as many units as previously stated.

Looks like a real backlog to be sorted and won't hold my breath on one this year.
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

There's other UK dealers who will have stock, if you want details send me an email via this forum mate
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Trustee

My dealer says it looks like it won't be out this week after all...
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Major Player

so it goes for me.... I placed my deposit Oct 19th.

"Chris,

We are expecting the shipment from sony the week after thanksgiving (November 26th). At this point I am not sure how many of the XDCAM's we will be receiving so I cannot guarantee that you will be able to receive yours at that point, however I can tell you that they are being allocated on a first come, first serve basis you are closer to the begining of the list. I will keep you updated as more information comes to us.

Thanks!

Stevie-Lynn Evelly
Abel Cine Tech"
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My UK supplier now says we have to wait at least 10 days now, and I'm also on top of his list - what's going on? Looks like a serious delay :)
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Remember that its being made in the pro broadcast factory where they take alot more care and time over stuff in comparison to the consumer line where the HVR range is produced.
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Allan View Post
Remember that its being made in the pro broadcast factory where they take alot more care and time over stuff in comparison to the consumer line where the HVR range is produced.
I wish you were right in this :)
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the offer Jamie but have tried most of the UK dealers and they say the same as above.

It's a sleeping blanket and wait it out scenario now.
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Ha! Ha! It's true... I've had more faulty "broadcast" and "professional" equipment that I've ever had with consumer gadgets...

More to go wrong I guess. Either that or I'm a fussy *****!
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
I've had more faulty "broadcast" and "professional" equipment that I've ever had with consumer gadgets...
The same experience here. I never had problems with consumer gear, what I really can't say that about my "broadcast" equipment.
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
They're constructed by ancient gods high in the Sony mountains who's engineering skills are blessed by every known God, and some that Sony made up.

Well, thats what the engineers say at least ;)
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah, well... I've had and used Sony equipment for over 30 years now, of which only one (the V1E) is considered pro(summer?) - TVs, home theaters, Hi-Fi, cameras, VCRs, VTRs; you name it! And the only one that ever had to be sent for servicing (more precisely, firmware update) has been -

- guess what! :)

Too high expectations? But hey, this is what "professional" is about!

And to be fair: one of the reasons I'd chosen the V1 over the Canon A1 has been it really felt more professional compared to the cheapish Canon, which simply fell apart in my (caring) hand.
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Waters View Post
Tried to Order the Ex1 today from a UK dealer and was told Sony had told them that they would not be getting as many units as previously stated.

Looks like a real backlog to be sorted and won't hold my breath on one this year.

I heard much the same story down here today. If you didn't make it in this shipment you are looking at next year.

Last edited by Bob Grant; November 16th, 2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I heard much the same story down here today. If you didn't make it in this shipment you are looking next year.
I was assured I would be in the first shipment so I sure hope they're right.

I also wonder how this will affect the "bonus" 8GB card. Apparently that was only with the first shipment, right?
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Bonus 8GB card runs until end of March I believe.

BTW Sandisk cards should be cheaper than Sony. I won't say who said it because I don't want to get person in trouble.

I mentioned in another post that, with firmware upgrade, EX1 will also take much less expensive cards (which Sony will apparently certify). I understand the "hit" will be in the transfer speed (cheaper cards will not be close to 10x real time transfer on 34 port).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
I was assured I would be in the first shipment so I sure hope they're right.

I also wonder how this will affect the "bonus" 8GB card. Apparently that was only with the first shipment, right?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds