EX1 footage thread - keep it coming! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 21st, 2007, 07:46 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Apart from the (CMOS inherent?) noise or shimmering, resembling that on the V1E - I was very curious how the EX1's 25p (in HQ, I believe it's native and not PsF) will behave when forcibly deinterlaced. I opened the HQ 1080/25p in VLC, set deinterlacing to "bob" - and voila! The line twitter is here, as well - just like with the V1E's 1080/25PsF.

My only hope is that when fed though HDMI the native 25p (or 24p) signal will be indeed treated by full hd TV's as progressive, and deinterlacer will not kick-in...
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM   #32
New Boot

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
That worked! Thank you!
Wesley Alfvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
... But I still think it looks lovely, and check out the DOF!
Paul,

Do you want to comment a little more on how significant the DOF difference is between 1/3 and 1/2 chips? I wasn't expecting anything so dramatic. Thanks!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Paul,

Do you want to comment a little more on how significant the DOF difference is between 1/3 and 1/2 chips? I wasn't expecting anything so dramatic. Thanks!
I wish I could be specific, but all I can say is that it feels like i've just discovered depth of field for the first time. This may be partly due to the way the EX does peaking which highlights the depth of field whilst your shooting.

I tried to set up a comparison for you but it doesn't really show the difference in dof that well, I'll probably need to do something outside where I can get a bit more distance between camera and subject. Here's the shots anyway...

Both cameras set at 25p / 50 shutter / 12db Gain and no presets loaded. Both are white balanced at 6700k.

The room is lit by a single ceiling light and the light coming from my monitors.

Ex is on the left, XH on the right.

Doing this test made me realise that another big factor in my noticing the DOF more is the LCD on the Sony, with the camera's side by side the difference in quality on the LCD's is huge, I struggled to focus the Canon after using the Sony.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!-ex-desk.jpg   EX1 footage thread - keep it coming!-xh-desk.jpg  

Old November 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Paul,

The DOF seems really shallow!

I thought you were using a 35mm adapter...

I didn't think that going to 1/2 inch chips would make that much of a difference!
David Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM   #36
Trustee

Nice.
It will be great to see more examples. Also, I see the EX1 faired better with noise too.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for shooting and posting these clips! It's exciting to see the capabilities first-hand.

When you or another lucky DV Info Net member has a chance I would love to see some sample footage of sports, or footage with similar motion challenges (camera panning and zooming with subjects moving in different directions). 720P 60 would be ideal.... 720P 50 would be fine also.

The 720P50 scene of the cars driving down the street looked pretty good.

Tom
Tom Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Koo View Post
Paul,

The DOF seems really shallow!

I thought you were using a 35mm adapter...

I didn't think that going to 1/2 inch chips would make that much of a difference!
Indeed David. Having used the JVC DV500 and 5000, going back to 1/3" chip cameras stinks. It really is much easier to get nice depth of field with 1/2" cameras (or 2/3" chip cameras, for that matter) whether it be SD or HD.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Johansson View Post
I and Per Axel shot the footage. I have put them on a webpage here

http://ex.bolanski.com/

Please don't put them on other ftp servers, then nobody will know where they came from or what kind of files they are.

/Andreas
Content has been removed from server. I wish you would take Chris up on his kind offer to host your content.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #40
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Content has been removed from server. I wish you would take Chris up on his kind offer to host your content.
Tom - yes, I agree.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I put up a file with all formats that can be used for frame rec recording as a zip file. The card structure is complete in the zipfile.

And I will not use other host than mine, I have good reasons for it so lets not keep that discussion going. Don't set up mirrors without asking me first, but I guess the answer will be no please don't.

I have a new hosting for the files now and maybe the old files will be online again if I find the time to. But the Tennis shots will not be online again and there is a good reason for that to.

ex.bolanski.com
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #42
Trustee

Andreas thank your for the vignette tests!
Question, was the aperture wide open for these tests shots?
If it has a vignetting problem, you will see it more with the aperture wide open.

I did not see any vignetting issues in your samples. I believe some of us wonder if you were to pan the camera from left to right while doing this test, would a vignetting issue show itself?

Hey, is it just me or is this camera extremely clean!
I can not believe shooting the wall in that low light condition that the image is that clean!
Amazing. It's also has a lot of detail.
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #43
Major Player

About 4 to 5 seconds into Andreas' 1080p25 clip there is a very slight darkening in the upper left corner. Likewise in the 720 clip (which zooms out rather than in) there is the same slight darkening toward the wide side.

Both of these seem to happen at the same focal length on the lens. It seems to be a less severe version of what Paul Joy is describing, in that it does not happen at either zoom extreme, but at a point in the middle, close to the wide side.

This slight darkening, combined with OIS and different aperture or focus settings could be what's causing the more extreme cases.

What's happening on Andreas' camera is perfectly acceptable to me, and I won't cancel my order over it. On a film camera this would be considered within spec (I've seen much worse than that make it to the big screen). But if it got much more extreme than that I wold start to get concerned.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #44
Trustee

Yes, it's "very-very" slight. It may not be noiticable at all for some. But you may be right - what will it look like if the camera is panned with OIS on?

I will perform this test at the end of next week.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Andreas thank your for the vignette tests!
Question, was the aperture wide open for these tests shots?
If it has a vignetting problem, you will see it more with the aperture wide open.

I did not see any vignetting issues in your samples. I believe some of us wonder if you were to pan the camera from left to right while doing this test, would a vignetting issue show itself?

Hey, is it just me or is this camera extremely clean!
I can not believe shooting the wall in that low light condition that the image is that clean!
Amazing. It's also has a lot of detail.
I have to check that. I know I used auto focus, I don't remember if i did auto iris or if I set zebra1 to 90% and kept it around there not to over expose it. I know I though of both.

I can do it again if you need to. I didn't know exactly what was needed to show this problem. I could do some panning but I don't have a wall big enough to pan across and if it only shows at some specific point while zooming I need to do allot of pan/zooming.

The wall is a projector screen by the way and the lights were the normal celling lights in our studio, no studio lights used at all.

/Andy
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds