DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Playing in traffic with the EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108536-playing-traffic-ex1.html)

Chris Forbes November 21st, 2007 10:40 PM

Playing in traffic with the EX1

One of the things I like about this camera:

Frame accumulation mode. Most of these frames were captured of a 720p24 clip set to accumulate 16 frames and I had to stop down to f4-5.6. Amazing to be able to shoot in the middle of the night and not be overcome with the noise.

www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark001.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark002.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark003.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark004.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark005.tif

Harry Pallenberg November 21st, 2007 11:14 PM

nice... thanks.. please go play some more...

the lack of noise is very good - what gain? what everything?

how about a vid clip of smae footage? how about you forgo thanksgiving and spend all day tomorrow testing and posting, in fact get a helper who can upload while you test....

looks like this might be the camera i've been waiting for... now if only there was a spot on easy, long term archiving method.... come on hddvd or blu-ray one of you guy just win already...

thanks again

Steven Thomas November 21st, 2007 11:23 PM

Thanks Chris. I'm really surprised the night footage is so clean!
Nice stuff.
Was that with no gain? I really like your second frame grab.
If so, this camera is very sensitive!

Wesley Alfvin November 21st, 2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg (Post 779838)
nice... thanks.. please go play some more...

now if only there was a spot on easy, long term archiving method.... come on hddvd or blu-ray one of you guy just win already...

Harry,

The sony XDCAM drive announced with this camera seems like a wonderful long term archiving method. Granted it's not good for distribution, but in terms of archiving your footage, it seems like a great idea.

Harry Pallenberg November 22nd, 2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley Alfvin (Post 779844)
Harry,

The sony XDCAM drive announced with this camera seems like a wonderful long term archiving method. Granted it's not good for distribution, but in terms of archiving your footage, it seems like a great idea.

I thought that the drive downconverts everything to the 25 megabitrate. Will it go straight across at 35?

Chris Forbes November 22nd, 2007 12:32 AM

Frame accumulation mode is awesome. I had the camera set to -3db @ 24p shutter @ 48 I was using the smallest setting of 16 there is also a setting of 32 and 64

But I don't know how much that matters when you use the "super slow shutter" option. But i was amazed at the lack of noise on these clips.

Also chalk one up for the guys at Sony on the amazing battery life. I have been running on the standard battery for about 25 min record time about 1 hour of the camera switched on with the LCD running and it is still going strong. I can't wait to try out the larger capacity one when it gets here.

Piotr Wozniacki November 22nd, 2007 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg (Post 779858)
I thought that the drive downconverts everything to the 25 megabitrate. Will it go straight across at 35?

The problem with the drive is not bitrate, but resolution - the XDCAM HD is now 1440x1080 whatever the bitrate. There is hope that by the time it can write at all (it's now read-only), the drive will also be able to store full res clips as the XDCAM HD standard is going that direction.

Paul Joy November 22nd, 2007 04:45 AM

The other nice thing for low light work is the SLS (Slow Shutter) mode. I played around with it last night and unlike the frame accumulation modes it's looks perfecty normal while you're shooting, only twice as bright!

Lovely shots Chris, nice work!

Paul.

Dean Harrington November 23rd, 2007 12:07 AM

Chris ...

I went to InterBee in Tokyo, checked out the camera and didn't see the vinegrating problem seen on the pre-release models. How is your cam zoomed through on the mid-section?

Chris Forbes November 23rd, 2007 09:56 AM

No problems yet. That I have seen.