Playing in traffic with the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Playing in traffic with the EX1

One of the things I like about this camera:

Frame accumulation mode. Most of these frames were captured of a 720p24 clip set to accumulate 16 frames and I had to stop down to f4-5.6. Amazing to be able to shoot in the middle of the night and not be overcome with the noise.

www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark001.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark002.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark003.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark004.tif
www.thevideodepartment.net/EX1/IntheDark005.tif
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

nice... thanks.. please go play some more...

the lack of noise is very good - what gain? what everything?

how about a vid clip of smae footage? how about you forgo thanksgiving and spend all day tomorrow testing and posting, in fact get a helper who can upload while you test....

looks like this might be the camera i've been waiting for... now if only there was a spot on easy, long term archiving method.... come on hddvd or blu-ray one of you guy just win already...

thanks again
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Chris. I'm really surprised the night footage is so clean!
Nice stuff.
Was that with no gain? I really like your second frame grab.
If so, this camera is very sensitive!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
nice... thanks.. please go play some more...

now if only there was a spot on easy, long term archiving method.... come on hddvd or blu-ray one of you guy just win already...
Harry,

The sony XDCAM drive announced with this camera seems like a wonderful long term archiving method. Granted it's not good for distribution, but in terms of archiving your footage, it seems like a great idea.
Wesley Alfvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Alfvin View Post
Harry,

The sony XDCAM drive announced with this camera seems like a wonderful long term archiving method. Granted it's not good for distribution, but in terms of archiving your footage, it seems like a great idea.
I thought that the drive downconverts everything to the 25 megabitrate. Will it go straight across at 35?
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Frame accumulation mode is awesome. I had the camera set to -3db @ 24p shutter @ 48 I was using the smallest setting of 16 there is also a setting of 32 and 64

But I don't know how much that matters when you use the "super slow shutter" option. But i was amazed at the lack of noise on these clips.

Also chalk one up for the guys at Sony on the amazing battery life. I have been running on the standard battery for about 25 min record time about 1 hour of the camera switched on with the LCD running and it is still going strong. I can't wait to try out the larger capacity one when it gets here.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
I thought that the drive downconverts everything to the 25 megabitrate. Will it go straight across at 35?
The problem with the drive is not bitrate, but resolution - the XDCAM HD is now 1440x1080 whatever the bitrate. There is hope that by the time it can write at all (it's now read-only), the drive will also be able to store full res clips as the XDCAM HD standard is going that direction.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; November 22nd, 2007 at 04:46 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Major Player

The other nice thing for low light work is the SLS (Slow Shutter) mode. I played around with it last night and unlike the frame accumulation modes it's looks perfecty normal while you're shooting, only twice as bright!

Lovely shots Chris, nice work!

Paul.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Chris ...

I went to InterBee in Tokyo, checked out the camera and didn't see the vinegrating problem seen on the pre-release models. How is your cam zoomed through on the mid-section?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

No problems yet. That I have seen.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds